Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Oliver Hart Parr 28-44

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 914 times

Old 04-10-2018, 02:06:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,111 Times in 693 Posts
Default Re: Oliver Hart Parr 28-44

Not sure about the differing mag, I have used IH F-4 mags on my U Allis and Fordson, drive to mag should all be the same except for the degree on the impulse but I think only wear would affect that. The impulse is something that sure gets overlooked sometimes and can cause starting trouble.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,652 Times in 790 Posts
Default Re: Oliver Hart Parr 28-44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Barnett View Post
GreasyIron, if you look more in the parts manual it will state that the Robert Bosch FU4B was for "Export" units. The U4 mag was the domestic mag.
Thanks Kelly! My parts book is a reprint, and I still cannot find that note, but definitely makes sense.

Also, I double checked timing in my operator's manual. I liked the instructions better in the Final Checking than the main Timing section.

At full retard the points begin to open at TDC or slightly after. I think with the light, I was ever so slightly early instead, but maybe was late - either way that's splitting hairs now. Also, the timing is independent of the impulse; it states: turn until impulse trips, turn back to slightly before TDC, then turn until at TDC.

By tripping the impulse you'd be timing to running position. By going backward a few degrees past TDC, then forward back to TDC you'd be able to remove any backlash from the timing gears without reengaging the impulse.

Good luck!