Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Fairbanks Morse Dishpan with Type R Mag, Help needed

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 449 times

Old 09-12-2017, 08:46:38 PM
Registered

Default Fairbanks Morse Dishpan with Type R Mag, Help needed

I am new hear but I have been into gas engines for a long time. I have a 2HP FM dishpan that I bought 35 years ago when I was 15. I got it running and took it to shows for a few years until it quit a little over 33 years ago. At the time I took the mag apart and discovered the broken points spring. The mag has been apart all of these years and I finally retrieved it from my dad's house in pieces. I managed to find all of it with the exception of the lead out tower which seems available.

Here is my problem. Where can I get points or a points spring? Can I just split open the capacitor and replace the internals with a 630v 22 mF capacitor and fill it with silicon? What ohm readings should I have on the coil? Also I have two chucks out of the collector ring? Can it be replaced? Who has replacements? If not I have one of the pieces and I think I could JB weld it back in? Also if memory serves it was missing the other chink when I took it apart. Is it likely to run with a piece of the insulator missing? I am hoping that I can save this thing as the only complete mag I have seen online is more than the engine is worth.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Dishpan with Type R Mag, Help needed

I have been searching all over and finally stumbled onto a wealth of magneto information that also includes the R. This is one of the R links but check out the rest of the site as well. http://www.oldcroak.com/fairbanks-mo...uctions-2690a/