Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Coil Size

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 906 times

Old 03-21-2017, 06:47:51 PM
Subscriber

Default Coil Size

Does the sizes of coil really matter on hit miss engine . The reason I ask is because I have three low tension coil that will run all my other engines.But my 4 1/2 hp Jacobson sideshaft And yes the Ignitor has been rebuilt I get it too start . But it dies shortly afterward because it's flooded I've adjusted fixer properly also good HOT battery .Good hot spark outside of engine
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 07:32:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Coil size

I really needs some HELP on this PLEASE
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08:19 PM
Registered-III

I have never worked on an ignitor but it sounds as if it may be shorting out as it gets hot. Check all your insulators that they are in the correct position and that it is all very clean and no carbon in that area to conduct your spark. Also coil maybe faulty too. Failing as it gets hot.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:56:22 PM
Subscriber

does it get hot and quit on the other engines? if not its probably not the coil. a coils just gonna work or not. it just needs to spark to run, I don't think the spark gets bigger with a bigger engine.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43:33 PM
Subscriber

With a battery and coil ignitor set up, the ignitor points must be open when the engine is in the miss cycle. It appears like the ignitor points are closed in the miss cycle or the ignitor is shorted. Thus the hot battery / coil. This is easy to test for. With the ignitor at rest {not in trip position} check for a spark at the switch by opening and closing the switch. Do this in a shaded or dark room to be easy to see if a spark happens at the switch.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:17:18 PM
Subscriber

I test the ignitor with ohm meter there is no short also check battery 12V ,iit take longer for the ignitor too trip on the Jacobson then it does the other engines could the coil be getting saturated and shorting. Can't feel any heat difference in the coil its round IHC coil
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50:49 PM
Subscriber

From my experience with ignitors, there are several seemingly small things that can be wrong, allowing a weak spark, or a change in spark from cycle to cycle.
As with any points, I've found that an ignitor needs a quick snap to produce the best spark. First, I'd check the adjustment of the trip, and also the spring. Also, even tho its been rebuilt, I'd take the ignitor back apart, make sure the points line up exactly,( and that they are square and flush with each other). It's easy to move the post just a little when tightening everything down that last time.
While it's apart, check that the mica tube/washers haven't developed a small crack, allowing the ignitor to short out sometimes.
I've also encountered a grounding problem on some of the older engines- with one area of the cast making a good ground, and another, not so much.
Another thing most people don't think to check is the gas.
Ignitors can soot up pretty quickly if bad gas is used, or if oil is getting pushed up into the firing chamber.
Not expert advice, mind you, just things I've run into that made an engine I was working on run like crap, or not at all.

gamefarmone