Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Maytag 92 Coil Repair

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 675 times

Old 09-22-2017, 11:15:40 AM
Registered

Default Maytag 92 Coil Repair

Hi all
I recently bought a Maytag 92 engine. Upon testing with multi-meter found that secondary winding was open. So I used dremel tool with small grinding wheel to cut open the coil cover and found that secondary wire was disconnected from output lead.
Now i am going to solder the wire back. But I have a question about putting the cardboard type cover back on the coil. It seems to have some black sticky stuff which held it to the coil.
What is that black tar type stuff called and where can I get it? Or can I just use gorilla glue (or some other epoxy)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,435 Times in 3,527 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag 92 coil repair

Sticky stuff was coal tar. You might find it at a roofing supply, although it has gone out of favor (nasty stuff). It is brush on, and was used for 'cold patching' on roofing. You might try an epoxy, just make sure it does not carry current or voltage (NO JB Weld). Perhaps just a good coating of several layers of shellac will work too. Before you button it up, test it first - you may find the coil is broken in more than one spot. Also, if the engine ran before the break, the current probably found an alternative ground -another point in the coil where insulation was weak. 92 coils were pretty sturdy, if yours is bad, I am sure you can get another one. The 92s all used the same coil -no problem switching between engines, unlike the 72s.
Andrew
Old 09-22-2017, 12:51:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag 92 coil repair

Thanks Andrew
So can I use any non-conductive epoxy from autozone/homedepot or does it need to have high temperature or some other special property?
On Ebay I saw few rewound coils but they were for about 150$. I got the engine for 50$ so want to try fixing the coil before spending that much money.

Using multimeter I confirmed that coil isn't shorted (it gave a reading of about 6500 Ohms between ground and wire end. But yes I am going to test it on engine first before I seal it off completely.

Thanks
Raju
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Maytag 92 coil repair

Go to Walmart get a bottle of liquid tape cost app five bucks. It has Alitalia brush in lid to apply with. It probably can be found at electrical and auto parts stores also.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,513 Times in 1,547 Posts
Default Re: Maytag 92 Coil Repair

I fixed a coil for my Simar tiller with the same problem and encased it in clear epoxy. The coil looked very hopeless when I started working on it. Has been working great since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3224.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	291953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3258.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	291954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	291955  

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33:25 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag 92 Coil Repair

Thanks everyone. hopefully I will be able to work on coil this week and get it to work.