Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Bearing Insulators

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 567 times

Old 11-06-2017, 12:11:40 AM
Registered

Default Bearing Insulators

G'day guys,
I'm replacing the bearings on a french made SAGA magneto,and the original one don't have any.
Do I need them.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27:12 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: bearing insulators

Hi Mark,
Shoot off a PM to Scotty 2 on this site. He lives in Warwick as well and has a good understanding of magnetos. Not sure when he will be back at Warwick but I think it is soon.
He has been very patient trying to get me to understand all the readings on my multimeter but it sounds like you need a mechanical fix info, he just might be the man.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13:10 PM
Banner Sponsor

Default Re: Bearing Insulators

First let me say I don't know anything about that type of magneto. Now, what are the bearing insulators insulating? The only thing that comes to my mind is a bearing shim made of paper or similar to hold the bearing tight in the casting? No bearings I've ever seen or heard of on a magneto are made to be in contact with electrical current. If you're talking about magnetism then a similar principle would apply. Magnetism is insulated by distance not material. I would think if you magnetized a bearing it would prematurely fail although I have not tried it. Hope this helps. If I'm on the wrong track, maybe you can clarify a little about what you're describing and get more direct answers. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:15:07 PM
Registered

Thanks mmcdonald,
As i'm just the novice, I've seen some magneto bearings with paper (what I thought was insulators) but from what you said the paper is only to take up the slack and make it firm, so I think it would be fine to put the new outer bearing racers in with out the paper shims as it is a well machined fit.
The magneto came of of my French made J Fivet 4hp.
Many thanks Mark
Old 11-07-2017, 01:16:24 AM
Subscriber

Actually, I'm pretty sure the paper insulators are there on purpose (as I've learnt), to stop current flowing through them, otherwise it wrecks the bearings. It was discussed in this thread:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149846.

If the bearings you're using are the E15's, I've got a PDF template I can send you of a bearing insulator you can print out at 1:1, you've just got to trim them out.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:08:31 AM
Registered

Thanks Craig,Scott explained it good as this magneto has two earth points.
Mark
Old 11-16-2017, 08:24:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,015 Times in 573 Posts

Hello Mark.
A way of seeing if they have not have had an insulating washer is to get the trusty multimeter, put it on ohms and put one probe on the shaft and the other probe on the spot where the bonding or earthing brush runs. If there is a circuit then an insulating washer is needed. If no circuit then an insulating washer may not have been used. Emphasis in may not.

Cheers then
Scott
PS: Are we going to see the Fivet at Allora?