Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Wico EK Trip Mechanism Help

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1542 times

Old 07-25-2017, 05:56:11 PM
Registered

Exclamation Wico EK Trip Mechanism Help

Hi so i recently got a Wico EK magneto for my stover ct2 engine. i pulled it off of a fully working and running 2 hp fuller johnson. examining the trip mechanisms on both my engine and the fuller, the mounting bracket, trip finger, and rocker arm are all 100% identical. So i mounted that wico magneto on my engine and installed all of the necessary components for the trip mechanism. Problem is, i seem to be having a weaker trip and i can get NO spark at all. Everything is the same between the fuller's trip mech and the stover's. but i just cant get that strong click no matter how much i tinker with it. im at all loss and ive tried adjusting EVERYTHING. Help please!!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 02:35:55 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wico EK trip mechanism help

Make sure that the magneto is making a good clean earth to the engine and not through paint or grease.

Does the magneto work properly again if you re-fit it to the original engine?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:12:59 AM
Subscriber

Try replacing the spring in the trip finger I found when they get weak the armature won't pull away even off the poles
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20:36 PM
Registered

The magneto works perfectly when i put it back on the fuller johnson

---------- Post added at 11:20:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04:48 AM ----------

I went and checked over everything. The magneto is solidly grounded to the engine, the spring in the trip finger is pretty strong (it takes some good effort to compress it) and my spark plug IS good. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 07-27-2017, 05:41:34 PM
Registered

Upon further inspection, i have electricity every time the magneto trips. But its very weak, and i am able to hold the wire while it trips and feel very little shock. I know that for the wico ek mags, it should be a pretty powerful spark. The magneto works wonderfully with the fuller, so i dont think that its the magnets or something.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:54:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,546 Times in 936 Posts

Only a suggestion, but some times you can loosen the 2 - 5/16" mounting bolts and slightly tilt the mag forward or backward and it will make a lot of difference in how it acts. Cost nothing to try.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:12:52 PM
Subscriber

Try re-charging the magnets. Maybe they got weakened with the move some how.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2017, 09:36:28 PM
Subscriber

The magnets will also lose there magnetisem and will not take a charge then you will have to buy the new magnets.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:25:23 AM
Subscriber

Just removing the mag should not cause the lost of magnetism. If the mag functions on the fuller & Johnson and not on the stover , I would be taking a close look at the tripping mechanism on the stover and suspect the trouble to be in that.
Jim
Old 07-30-2017, 01:49:44 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaldwin View Post
Hi so i recently got a Wico EK magneto for my stover ct2 engine. i pulled it off of a fully working and running 2 hp fuller johnson. examining the trip mechanisms on both my engine and the fuller, the mounting bracket, trip finger, and rocker arm are all 100% identical. So i mounted that wico magneto on my engine and installed all of the necessary components for the trip mechanism. Problem is, i seem to be having a weaker trip and i can get NO spark at all. Everything is the same between the fuller's trip mech and the stover's. but i just cant get that strong click no matter how much i tinker with it. im at all loss and ive tried adjusting EVERYTHING. Help please!!! Thanks
Are you swapping trip parts from engine to engine, or are you swapping only the mag? I ask because in another post you state:

"...the spring in the trip finger is pretty strong (it takes some good effort to compress it)..."

Even rusted up drive springs take "a goodly amount" to compress them, but they don't work worth a hoot. The springs are what make it all function; if they aren't right up to snuff, you can adjust 'til the cows come home and still not have a reliable spark.
There are three springs involved. The little spring that lifts the trip finger has the least affect on the speed of the snap but still plays a part. I have seen this spring replaced with one that was so heavy that it wouldn't allow the armature to drop. The armature return spring definitely affects the speed of the snap. If the spring is incorrect or is compressed too far, it will slow the speed of the snap. This spring is adjusted by loosening the big nut on the rocker shaft and rotating the spring retainer. The third spring is, of course, the drive spring. This spring has a very daunting task before it and requires its full strength to carry out that task effectually.
In addition to having appropriate springs in place, the rocker and rocker shaft must be absolutely free from rust, paint, dried oil, etc. and be well lubricated. The rocker also must not bind in the yoke at the bottom of the armature. The depth setting for the trip finger needs to be sufficient to pull the armature its required distance. The trip finger must be free to slide all the way onto its seat at the retard lever, and it must have enough free downward movement to allow the armature to drop once it has been tripped. The trip finger itself has a screw in the back of it where it slides into the bracket. The end of this screw is what contacts the retard lever (if it's down). This screw is not an adjustment and must be bottomed in the trip finger. If it has been replaced with something else, all bets are off. The chances of its having been replaced or even tampered with are small, but I've seen it.
These are but a few things to contemplate. The WICO EK system is simple and reliable, but it's a balancing act, so everything must be correct.

Kirk
Old 08-01-2017, 11:49:38 AM
Registered

Wow!! Thanks for everyone's help with this! I will certainly try everything here, thanks again!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38:46 PM
Subscriber

I had a EK mag once that would work on a couple different engines but only spark and fire while turning the flywheel backwards on my Stover KA.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:37:26 PM
Subscriber

I have an engine that had a worn trip arm where it pivots. If I put any EK on it other than the worn one that came with it, there would be so much side thrust on the magneto that it wouldn't operate properly. I had to put a shim washer behind the trip arm to space it back out in alignment with the magneto.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:27:15 PM
Registered

Try a stronger spring. Or stretch your spring. Or shim it with a couple washers.

---------- Post added at 12:27:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25:08 PM ----------

PS - Brand new springs can be found cheaply on Ebay or
from a number of part dealers (Hit & Miss Enterprises, Flywheel Supplies, ect)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:40:37 PM
Subscriber

I have a stover ke and I can't get the magneto to close all the way. It trips when I close it by hand but the armature will not go back and hit the 2 poles. I cleaned and lubricated the armature shaft as well as the rocker that the mag fits in to and reoiled the mechanism.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:28:17 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Venetis View Post
I have a stover ke and I can't get the magneto to close all the way. It trips when I close it by hand but the armature will not go back and hit the 2 poles. I cleaned and lubricated the armature shaft as well as the rocker that the mag fits in to and reoiled the mechanism.
Does it have the correct armature return spring on it? If so, then it may need the return spring adjusted. This is done by loosening the big nut on the armature rocker shaft and moving the spring holder up to increase the return spring tension.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59:45 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Taylor View Post
Does it have the correct armature return spring on it? If so, then it may need the return spring adjusted. This is done by loosening the big nut on the armature rocker shaft and moving the spring holder up to increase the return spring tension.
I will check that out thanks. Also when the mag is tightened up the armature does not want to turn easily without loosening the mag.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:44:17 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
......Also when the mag is tightened up the armature does not want to turn easily without loosening the mag.
And perhaps that is "the rest of the story"......
The armature on an EK doesn't turn but moves up and down, but something may have gotten lost in the translation. If there is ANY binding whatsoever, the mag will not work properly. If tightening the mounting bolts causes binding, then something is misaligned. That needs to be investigated and rectified before going any further.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:14:15 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Taylor View Post
And perhaps that is "the rest of the story"......
The armature on an EK doesn't turn but moves up and down, but something may have gotten lost in the translation. If there is ANY binding whatsoever, the mag will not work properly. If tightening the mounting bolts causes binding, then something is misaligned. That needs to be investigated and rectified before going any further.
I looked at it again and I hade to adjust the shaft that comes from the rocker to the part that the cam hits because it was too tight thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
I looked at it again and I hade to adjust the shaft that comes from the rocker to the part that the cam hits because it was too tight thanks.
I adjusted the arm that trips the mag so it trips top dead center but I want to check the cam timing but can't find the marks on the gears.