Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Construction Equipment Graders, Shovels, Fork lifts, Dozers & Crawlers, Pay loaders & Fork lifts

Vintage Construction Equipment

Single rear drive axel road grader

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 837 times

Old 09-29-2017, 08:11:50 PM
Registered

Default Single rear drive axel road grader

I have seen road graders like this in the past but never got a close look at them. Today I saw one and pulled over and looked at it. It looks pretty simple except for the controls, they look a little confusing but I really don't understand the engine on this. Why is there dual exhaust on this? It seems as if one is on the front 3 cylinders and one is on the back three cylinders. I see six injectors so they all run on diesel at some point but does the front three or the back three initially fire on gas? I have seen Pony Motors that fire the main motor and Motors that start initially on gas and you turn them over to diesel but this is a little different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_102409.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	292557   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_102504.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	292558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_102526.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	292559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_102630.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	292560  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BcCoe For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 08:30:26 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,593 Times in 2,431 Posts
Default Re: Single rear drive axel road grader

It looks like it's a Austin Western all wheel drive grader. It has the IHC gas start diesel, possibly the UD 16 engine, It starts on the gas cycle mode then is switched over to the diesel mode when it warms up. All 6 cylinders use the same fuel, ie, when on start cycle all cylinders use gas, when on diesel cycle all cylinders run on diesel. They used 2 separate ex manifolds because of the long length. 2 short ones will have less tendency to crack or warp. These units start easily in all weather conditions when the unit is in good shape. Our local road district had a larger model Austin 6 wheel drive years back, it had a 4-71 Detroit and not only did it smoke and make noise, but it had a habit of breaking drive axles if it caught in a hard pull. The steering is by a lever hooked to a hyd spool valve instead of a steering wheel.

Last edited by FWurth; 09-29-2017 at 11:35:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18:51 PM
Registered

FWurth, Your a wealth of info. on this and the COE im looking at. So what is the basic function to swith it from gas to Diesel and keep it running?
The Following User Says Thank You to BcCoe For This Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 11:30:10 PM
Subscriber

BC, that Galion grader I have has an IH engine that starts on gas and switches to diesel. I will show you the next time you come out. Those engines have a third valve that you open to start them on gas which opens a chamber in the head to lower the compression. When you switch it over to diesel after you have it running on gas, it closes the third valve and raises the compression and it runs on diesel.

Look on "Vintage Construction Equipment" 1st pa, TD 18A Crawler and there are pictures of an Austin Western grader.

Last edited by Heins; 09-29-2017 at 11:42:16 PM. Reason: Ad a line
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 11:31:30 PM
One Millionth Post

The same as all gas start IHC diesels. Set the compression release lever to the gas start position. Set the throttle lever to low ,Then set the choke on the carb and hit the starter. Should fire up without too much bother. Let it run on gas a few minutes to warm up the head. When ready to switch, open the throttle till it throws a heavy exhaust ( this lets you know that diesel fuel is there, then move the compression lever over to diesel run position, with a fast snap so as to be sure all the various linkages involved get where they belong. If all is well it will take off from there. I always turn off the gas tank so as not to have the thing pull gas while on diesel as some times the float or needle valve in the carb may let a bit through.

Last edited by FWurth; 09-30-2017 at 11:02:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 10:12:33 AM
Registered

Heins, I remember you showing me that grader, I was just wondering if they are all a little different or they started the same. I probably would have given $500 for that one at that auction if I would have been there although I don't know how i would have hidden that from the wife.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:39:47 AM
One Millionth Post

I just reread my last post, I should have proof read it sooner! Hope I didn't mess up any one, it's corrected now.

---------- Post added at 10:39:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04:14 AM ----------

The only real reason that I know this obsolete info is that I'm getting old as dirt and have had to deal with those relics in the past to make a living! Every thing today is high tech and computer enabled. That makes me like those old machines, totally useless!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:00:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,707 Times in 837 Posts

I've seen Austin Westerns with rear wheel steer as well. You could set the rear wheels to a turned position and run the machine crab-like if needed. Not sure if this one is configured like this. This feature, also, allowed the machine a shorter turning radius for tight quarters.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:04:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,163 Times in 766 Posts

The blade can tilt, rotate, raise, offset, and level. So it takes a lot of controls. I suspect a new one has some sort of computer so you can just move the blade where you want, but on this one you'd have to run 2 or 3 or 4 controls at once so it moves in a straight line.

Looks like some cheating went on. IHC hood/grill, and looks like part of the roof/cab was something like an old Mac?
Old 09-30-2017, 03:39:36 PM
One Millionth Post

No, I think the cab and sheet metal is correct. It looks the same as the one I used to run.

---------- Post added at 02:39:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51:21 PM ----------

The one I ran was traded in for a new Deere 570-A back in 1975, The Austin was a good unit and was still decent when traded, but the directors had some extra funds available so they up graded the equipment. The Deere also had a swing frame so a crab steer feature was possible. It also had a rotating saddle frame on the blade so the blade could go to a verticle position on either side, was supposed to enable grading steep banks without having to have the machine on the bank, also the thing had air conditioning! But being only driven from the rear wheels, it was seriously under powered compared to the old unit.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:33:50 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcCoe View Post
Heins, I remember you showing me that grader,[ I was just wondering if they are all a little different or they started the same.] I probably would have given $500 for that one at that auction if I would have been there although I don't know how i would have hidden that from the wife.
They all started the same way. IH built them from H tractors to TD-24 crawlers.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:49:09 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRo View Post
I've seen Austin Westerns with rear wheel steer as well. You could set the rear wheels to a turned position and run the machine crab-like if needed. Not sure if this one is configured like this. This feature, also, allowed the machine a shorter turning radius for tight quarters.
I just looked at the pictures again and it appears that there is a tierod on the rear axle, so I think it has the rear steer option.

PT
Old 09-30-2017, 11:09:29 PM
Registered

Yup, now i see the linkage to the front of the cab and see that the axel is well below the frame. That must be a little confusing to learn to operate.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:17:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,389 Posts

That is a UD-16 engine, dual exhaust because it has 2 heads, manifold for each head. My uncle had an Awful Western like that but it had the UD-9, 4 cylinder IH...good old graders in their day. Unk 's had a broken windshield where his head smacked it when he snagged a rock.
Smokstak member #442
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
I suspect a new one has some sort of computer so you can just move the blade where you want, but on this one you'd have to run 2 or 3 or 4 controls at once so it moves in a straight line.
My friend that works for Caterpillar said the old school operators hate the new graders, they just have a little joystick & a bunch of buttons in a panel...the young guys that grew up playing video games catch on to them right quick...
Smokstak member #442