Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Construction Equipment Graders, Shovels, Fork lifts, Dozers & Crawlers, Pay loaders & Fork lifts

Vintage Construction Equipment

Caterpillar No.9 and No.11 Auto Patrols Find New Homes

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 844 times

Old 10-23-2017, 09:43:15 PM
Registered-I

Default Caterpillar No.9 and No.11 Auto Patrols Find New Homes

We had some fun loading and hauling two old Cat road graders this last weekend, a No.9 Auto Patrol that had a wild repower done to it at some point in the past, and a complete but stuck No.11 Diesel Auto Patrol, 6K series with the 3 cylinder diesel. But to tell the whole story I need to back up to when we first went to look at these graders a few months ago, last spring. I did 2 walkaround videos of these machines back then, which I'll post below -

No.11 Auto Patrol Walkaround -

---------- Post added at 08:37:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36:11 PM ----------

No.9 Auto Patrol, with a wild "Rat Rod" repower mod -

---------- Post added at 08:43:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37:52 PM ----------

So in the time since we first went and looked at these machines there has been a few new developments, the big No.11 was donated to the Minnesota chapter of the ACMOC club, and then I bought the rat-rod No.9 as a parts machine for the other two No.9's I already have. It ended up taking all summer, but finally enough peoples' schedules lined up well enough to make an attempt to go and get both of those units at the same time, since they were both sitting at the same place. So here's a video of this past weekend's recovery mission, hope you guys enjoy the footage.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Squatch253 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 10:21:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,814 Posts
Default Re: Caterpillar No.9 and No.11 Auto Patrols Find New Homes

Excellent vids and good narration. Most people rattle on to fill a sound track and it becomes irritating.
Now ya got the hard work $$$ ahead of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 12:22:35 AM
Subscriber

Pretty cool & a couple of well done video's. I'll bet you wish you had a running #10 Cat Patrol to go with these. If so....contact me & I can fix you right up.......1 nearly complete parts machine & 1 complete runner.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:15:37 AM
Subscriber

I have a Cat 11 grader looking for a good home. Ran when parked about 10 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Iron Dave For This Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18:46 PM
Registered-I

Well I managed to get the Rat Rod No.9 unloaded off the trailer earlier this week, good thing too because winter arrived here about 3AM this morning. Anyway, it took me working an entire day to get the grader to roll off the trailer since I first had to remove the cobbled on towing hitch from the front of it then get the original front axle placed back under it with good tires too. But I got it all done before the snow came, I'm thankful for that. Made another video of the unloading job.

Took this picture of the first snow of the year here -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	294541  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Squatch253 For This Post:
The Following User Groaned at This Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 10:53:59 AM
Registered-III

groaning the snow toby, not ur effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 02:23:15 PM
Registered-II

It's happy news that you have the front axle for the number 9. That old girl deserves to run again. It may be difficult but an engine should eventually turn up, maybe in a donor crawler tractor.

I watched a few of your youtubes and does that four wheel 212 ever look like an odd duck. I've never seen one before, although a local cemetery had one many years ago. I've owned my six wheel 212 since the late 70's at least so that compounds the oddness of seeing yours. I'm going to have to make time to get mine running next year.

Good luck with your projects!
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 10:47:28 PM
Registered-I

Thanks fellas, and I actually already have an engine (3 to be exact) since I've got 2 other complete but not running No.9's in my lineup plus an old PL series Twenty tractor with a hatched undercarriage and final drive - all these machines used the Cat 4200G gasoline engine so those parts needs are pretty much covered with what I have on hand. The current plan is to put one really nice No.9 together out of the three I have here, with this "Rat Rod" unit providing the frame and chassis that I will strip down, then build upon as time permits. I've wanted to have a running No.9 Auto Patrol for years now, and have been accumulating all of these machines to get enough of what I need to have one really nice one. I've also accumulated numerous carbs, mags, tires, and all new reproduction manifolds to be put towards this project, so it's officially the most expensive restoration that I've never done any work on, lol.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Squatch253 For This Post: