Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Paint Question on old Wisconsin Powered Dayton Generator

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 960 times

Old 12-03-2017, 12:09:19 PM
Subscriber

Default Paint Question on old Wisconsin Powered Dayton Generator

I have an old generator that has a Wisconsin S-14-D engine on it that I am restoring. It was a Dayton brand sold by Grainger Industrial Supply. I'm trying to find a spray paint that closely matches the light green color that was often used on Dayton products. Is anyone aware of an available spray paint that is a match to that color, or something close? Any help would be appreciated Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: Paint Question on old Wisconsin Powered Dayton Generator

I am right now redoing an old Kohler genset and am at the paint stage. Parts are primed and weather will quit cooperating soon so tomorrow I am going to buy paint. I will do this: Take a part that has some amount of good, unfaded paint left (thre's usually something) and take it to your friendly paint store and have them mix up a quart of alkyd or automotive enamel to match that color. Good paint stores have a gizmo that can scan the color and spit out a match formula. I've done this in the past and have had acceptable results.

Yes the engine should be painted with engine paint but that makes things a lot more complicated and if the thing is going to be a show queen who will ever know anyway? And if it's a user and the paint bakes off, that's the price of progress, I guess. We live in an imperfect world.

I have to chuckle, though, at your characterization of a genset with a Wisconsin S14 as "old". Many of us here own few if any engine powered equipment that is so new!

p.s. If you are OK with a rattle can paint job, why not see if Grainger's has any bombs of repair paint?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:50:16 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Paint Question on old Wisconsin Powered Dayton Generator

Thanks for the input. I know I could take a sample and match it at a paint store. Was just putting the feelers out there to see if any other members may have found a stock color spray paint that matches.