Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Diesel fuel or vegetable oil for fuel, your thoughts?

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 13893 times

Old 10-17-2009, 01:32:23 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Diesel fuel or vegetable oil for fuel, your thoughts?

Not Diesel fuel or Vegetable oil but.....

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4120687/The-Alaska-Biodiesel-Demonstration-Project-is-showing-that-biodieselhttp://www.docstoc.com/docs/4120687/...that-biodiesel"]http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4120687/...that-biodieselhttp://www.docstoc.com/docs/4120687/...that-biodiesel[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2009, 09:02:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,249 Times in 1,535 Posts

I also wanted to add that the people from Green Hill went to Krispy Kreme and asked for their used oil and they said what used oil.

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00:50 PM
Subscriber

Google "Dr. Dan biodiesel Seattle" and you will find lots of info about a friend of mine who was early in the bio diesel gig. His shop and filling station is about 2 blocks away from a shop area where I used to rent. There is a steady parade of diesel cars going to and fro.

Dan has done lots of cool things, always with the best interest of all people in mind. If he was just into bucks, he'd be a rich man but he is better than that.

Years ago, he started the first known CNG filling station in Seattle. It was such a new idea, Seattle had to partner with him to write the rules because there were no rules and they weren't going to license his operation without some sort of guidelines.

Down the other road, a commercial biodiesel filling station opened up a few years ago. Big bucks were used and lots of tv cameras and fanfare highlighted the event. I doubt they have anywhere near the following that Dr. Dan Freeman has, though. It looks pretty sleepy.

One offshoot of this sustained successful biodiesel stuff is that the price of diesel cars is pretty high around here. If you read some stuff about Dr. Dan, though, he'll tell you that you have to have a decent running car and you have to follow some basic guidelines. No old junker engine is going to cure itself on biodiesel and wishful thinking.

I doubt very many of his customers are mechanically inclined, judging from appearances. That said, it helps to be in a big city if you are going to own an old used diesel rig. Baling wire just don't work too good under the hood of a diesel rig.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05:15 PM
Registered-I

www.hootis.com/veggiegolf http://www.hhotis.com/veggiegolf
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43:43 PM
Registered-III

The pump/injector seizure rumors are persistent in the spectator realm. Users realize soon that the lubricity is improved especially over low-sulfur and ULSD. Dirty, watery fuel is bad whether diesel or veggie.

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/file_s...0biodiesel.pdf
Old 10-21-2009, 06:07:57 PM
Registered-III

Try This www.journeytoforever.org
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12:52 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironcollector View Post
What Kind of diesel is it? I have a couple of Kubotas that look like it.
Denny
Sorry I missed your question way back in this thread! It is a Quang Dong 3.4 HP diesel engine. I am not sure if it is spelled correctly.

Danny j
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33:03 PM
Registered

I used a mix 70% diesel-30% veg-oil in a MF180 tractor. Now I have to replace the Inj. pump. I thought it was well mixed and clean but it got thru 3 filters to make sticky mess in the pump housing. It really needs to be heated year round, Surprised diesel does not cut it when cool-cold.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44:37 PM
Registered-I

I have been running my 2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel on waste veggie oil for 20,000 miles now. It has a kit from Dino Fuel Alternatives www.dinofuelalternatives.com that keeps diesel in the injectors upon shut down and start up. Preheats the veggie oil before switching over. I get about 50 gallons per week of 80% peanut 20% soy oil from a local catfish restuarant. It is settled in two different tanks and filtered before use. The truck also has a Donaldson filter to catch anything that may get by the filtering. The Donaldson filter last about 8 to 10k miles. I love this kit. The truck runs just as good on veggie oil as it does on diesel. My wife drives it for all our running around and never has to switch anything. it is all automatic. Also, our old 91 Mercedes has a single tank system from www.plantdrive.com It doesn't have any diesel at all and runs great. But we live in a warm climate. December thru February I blend 30% diesel and use the plug to warm up on the coldest of days just to be sure. Going on 3 years now without a problem.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43:37 PM
Registered-I

I have been running WVO in two different diesel vehicles for 6 years with NO problems. The key is having two tanks and two selector solenoids, so that it always starts on diesel, returns the correct fuel to the correct tank, and always shut the engine down on diesel fuel. Heat the veggie oil with a heat exchanger warmed by the engine coolant. I have been commuting approx 100 miles per day round-trip with this set-up and average 140 miles per diesel gallon. I took a 1,000 mile round trip to PA and used 1.4 gallons of diesel fuel, 45 gallons of WVO. Try beating that in a Prius!
My conversions are home-made systems and cost less than $600/vehicle to convert. It's not rocket science. Hell, Rudolf Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil. My generator will run on a similar design and power my house for free.
DO NOT let anyone tell you it doesn't work. As long as the diesel engine is shut down, or "purged" with diesel fuel and you allow sufficient time for the coolant to warm the WVO, you can do it.
The new MB diesel Blutech engines and other new common-rail diesel injection systems are not as forgiving as they utilize the injection system as part of an elaborate cooling system, but most any other diesel runs fine on WVO.
Filtering is easy. I heat 50 gallon barrels to 130 degrees to allow the junk to fall to the bottom, filter the oil through a series of polyester bag filters down to 5 microns.
6 years, 120k miles mostly on free fuel. It works.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50:52 PM
Registered-I

BIG difference between biodiesel and WVO. Making biodiesel requires distillation, high heat, caustic materials and potential danger. Recently two workers died in a biodiesel facility in MD. WVO, however, gets filtered via gravity and a little electric heat.
The 83 MB pictured had just under 100k on WVO and sold for 700 dollars more than I had paid for it five years earlier. The Range Rover has a 300tdi turbo diesel with about 20k on WVO with NO fuel related issues on either vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	138971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach Front small.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	138972  
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14:09 AM
Registered-I

Been running bio-diesel since 2008 in my 1982 vw diesel. I found out that alcohol in the bio will distroy rubber lines. Replace those before using bio.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37:41 AM
Registered-I

Always use viton tubing where flexible hose is needed, aluminum tubing for hard-line applications. Fatty acids in WVO will eat up rubber and will react with copper and brass fittings.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38:39 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwsenior View Post
I have been running my 2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel on waste veggie oil for 20,000 miles now. It has a kit from Dino Fuel Alternatives www.dinofuelalternatives.com that keeps diesel in the injectors upon shut down and start up. Preheats the veggie oil before switching over. I get about 50 gallons per week of 80% peanut 20% soy oil from a local catfish restuarant. It is settled in two different tanks and filtered before use. The truck also has a Donaldson filter to catch anything that may get by the filtering. The Donaldson filter last about 8 to 10k miles. I love this kit. The truck runs just as good on veggie oil as it does on diesel. My wife drives it for all our running around and never has to switch anything. it is all automatic. Also, our old 91 Mercedes has a single tank system from www.plantdrive.com It doesn't have any diesel at all and runs great. But we live in a warm climate. December thru February I blend 30% diesel and use the plug to warm up on the coldest of days just to be sure. Going on 3 years now without a problem.
You made a good point that I was going to share, you don't want to shut the engine down with vegetable oil in the lines... The college I went to in Lima OH (UNOH) found that even the common rail cummins didn't like starting on vegetable oil! They also learned that running bio diesel, and vegetable oil through a Cummins Common Rail gives them no room to make fun of an LB7 Duramax, b/c doing so makes the injectors and CP3 pump go out.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:48:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinElvis View Post
Always use viton tubing where flexible hose is needed, aluminum tubing for hard-line applications. Fatty acids in WVO will eat up rubber and will react with copper and brass fittings.
From experience -- Think about the seals in your injection pump and what will happen when they fail! A Roosa Master pump with it's 2 cup seals on the drive shaft will fill your crankcase with WVO when they fail. WVO in the crankcase turns to something like jello made from super balls and bonds itself to the really hot parts just like spray on bed liner. Gasoline is about the only thing I could find to cut it, but the crank still looks like someone plasti-dipped it. I have pictures somewhere If someone wants to see.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:25:24 PM
Registered

I have been running my car, a Range Rover p38 diesel, on a mixture of veg oil and diesel for 4 or 5 years now with no problems. I buy SVO from Costco. It is usually made from rapeseed oil, similar to sunflower. Do not use palm oil.
I fill the tank half full of diesel, add 2 x 20L kegs of SVO, take it round the block to mix it. Bob's your uncle. The engine actually sounds better. Quieter and less of the diesel ping. Performance is no different from 100% diesel.
Not all engines are suitable. Indirect injection engines are usually fine and my BMW engine uses a Bosch FIP which is OK with veg oil.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:41:17 PM
Registered

I have blending WMO with my diesel for about 8 years. I ran it in a international dt466e engine and got 300k outta original injectors. Our cummins diesels burn it well 2006 and back models and all the diesel farm tractors use it here. (All mechanical injection) I don't recommend over 50% mix in summer n no more than 10% in winter , smoke and hard starting will result . We allow oil to stand in a large tank , sediment /water settling to th bottom to be drained off. Pump clean oil off the top n filter it to 10 microns blending w diesel . Works on our farm. CAUTION ! I hear some states have outlawed WMO use , and I do not know how the IRS will feel about black fuel in your tank if they probe it in a roadside check . We only use it as a farm fuel supplement ......
Old 04-12-2015, 05:31:32 PM
Registered

I have been running my diesel RangeRover on veg oil for 4 or 5 years now with no problems. I mix it with a little diesel - up to 75% veg oil in the summer and 50% in the winter. It runs fine, mileage is about the same. It actually sounds better because there is less of the diesel "ping". I use SVO from Costco in the UK. Soft oils, such as sunflower or rapeseed oil are ideal; avoid palm oil.
It is an older indirect injection engine which is ideal for veg oil. Modern common rail direct injection systems often give problems.
Fuel pumps in cars can be problematic. Bosch pumps are OK but CAV can't coke.
It very much depends on the particular engine.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:06:57 PM
Registered-II

I want to buy a Lanz bulldog hot-bulb tractor just so I can run veggie oil in it. If that won't work, I'd forget internal combustion entirely and use it to fire a steam boiler.