Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Charcoal for engine fuel

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1812 times

Old 03-26-2015, 10:07:23 AM
Registered-II

Default Charcoal for engine fuel

I already posted this on the Onan Generator forum, but I thought I'd post it here in case some of you alternate-energy-sources guys may not be Onan types:

Well, we west central Wisconsin guys are just finishing a build of 7 charcoal gasifiers for producing engine grade fuel.

Here is part of the second test of S/N #1 of our little production run, fueling a 4.0CCK genset:

http://youtu.be/-CM_UDbzWco

You can see a lot of my own wood-chips-to-engine-fuel stuff at:
http://www.spaco.org/Woodgas/Woodgas.htm

Pete Stanaitis
----------------
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2015, 05:09:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: Charcoal for engine fuel

That's great! I've been working with gasification since early '08. I think charcoal/char as a fuel will eliminate one of the biggest challenges- fuel moisture content. As I understand, charcoal and coal were fuels used during WWII when the average consumer drove a car or truck with a gasifier.

Plus, the fines and under-sized chunks are a great soil amendment!

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

By the way, the first gasifier I ever ran was the JXQ-10A. I spent quite a bit of time with a BioMax 25 at the US Forestry Service research station near Winfield, LA.