Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Jacking up a Forklift?

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 11335 times

Old 01-18-2014, 05:56:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,457 Posts
Default Re: Jacking up a Forklift?

I would think the easy solution would be an access plate on the side of the machine

That chinese starter worked as they planned, I think I got 5 starts out of it before it died. When I removed it the external case looked fine, internal parts were rusted like it had been in salt water, after opening it and seeing how bad it was I tossed it in the scrap hopper. Had the original rebuilt and its still working fine.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 10:27:11 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,254 Posts

I started to reply then I saw that this thread was from last year, good to hear you got it going. F.J.W.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:45:45 PM
Subscriber

I wonder if this is one of those machines where it is easier to pull the engine to work on it than it is to try to do anything to it in place. I have a John Deere skidloader like that.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:39:14 PM
Subscriber

I have a chain of auto salvage yards in the area, "XXXX You Pick It". As the name implies. You pay to go into the yard & remove the items & parts you need from cars, trucks Etc. Then you pay for the items you picked off on the way out. These are massive yards with hundreds of vehicles to pick from. Open seven days a week & crawling with activity. For the safety of the public that work to remove the parts needed, sometimes from underneath the vehicles every vehicle coming into inventory, will have the wheels removed & placed under the vehicle two high by two wide, front & back. Four tires with wheels are under 90% of the vehicles. Its about as safe as you can get & not having some type of lift or picking machine. Using any type of masonry blocks are an accident waiting to happen. Stacks of wood is also bad medicine, unless the blocks are bridged back & forth in different directions.
I use to rebuild forklifts & always used another forklift to pick them up. Never used a jack, & never felt in harms way.
Whatever is used to get this machine up in the air, as well as keep it up while working under it, must have the ability to support the weight of the machine, with 100% confidence of the owner. That nothing can or will go wrong. Shane
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33:20 AM
Registered-III

i have owned many forklifts i used a railroad jack and a long bar and large wood blocks works very well....alan
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20:19 PM
Registered-II

We had to do some work on a hyd. pump on a fork truck about three months ago. Drained the fluids which we had decided to change anyway, used an excavator and tipped the lift truck on it's side, did the work in about two hours and put it back on it's feet. A lot safer and easy compared to jacking and trying to lay under the thing.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20:17 PM
Registered-I

...walked into this thread a little late here...but I am a forktruck mechanic and glad to see you got it fixed. some of those can be a bear to get at for starters...especially Daewoo's, but they will run forever! I always keep a spare set of the old solid rims in my van, so that way when I need to jack it up (which also by the way, always make sure the bolts are secure in the counterweight before jacking up! I've gone to jack up trucks form the counterweight and have the whole counterweight come off!!! not fun! I always stick the rims sideways under the drive and steer tires. Be safe! I've seen too many accidents!
The Following User Says Thank You to powerking For This Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25:12 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
What ever you lift it with, make sure you have something else underneath it also so it can't fall and crush you. I jack up cars, then put cement blocks under them , but I protect the cement block from cracking by putting a wood 2x10 over them to cushion them. And I only go 2 blocks high , and lift front and back of car so car is level and not pushing blocks sideways to make them roll over.
If you are using blocks like this one then that's a dangerous practice. These are a much better (safer) alternative and can be custom built to suit whatever you are supporting.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00:11 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,254 Posts

Unless you have those little stacks of wood spiked together, It seems unstable to me. Especially if you are on less than a perfect surface.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16:12 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Once had to change exhaust on a car away from home. Next door was a dumpster with tons of new scrap 2x12 wood . I made a ramp, I laid the peices down to form a strip , then next strip a little shorter , and so on.

Don't go too high, or it gets unstable/tippy. Before you get under it , give forklift a good shove and shake, to make sure it's not shakey/flimsy. Better it falls off ramp/blocks then, instead of later with you under it.

Just curious , what do these things weigh?

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Forgot to say......... When I was away from home , I once changed my oil by driving front wheels up onto curb. And laid on cardboard (thiner than a creeper)
we had a Clark car loader 4015 (4000lb@15i wt 6500l
Old 12-08-2015, 08:16:14 AM
Registered-I

Con Crete blocks should be properly crushed so they won't be used for blocking heavy items.Gene