Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

New Holland 7308 loader

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 498 times

Old 05-09-2016, 11:05:17 AM
Registered-I

Default New Holland 7308 loader

Hello everyone,

I'm having to rebuild a New Holland hydraulic loader cylinder. The manufacturer of the cylinder in question is schwartz. Now i've done a number of cylinder rebuilds in the past and haven't had much trouble, but this one has me slightly stumped.

There is a c-clip on the inside behind that threaded retainer that is keeping the guts from coming out. 2 issues here. #1 the c-clip is tough as nails, its a really hard steel. #2 you can sorta get a screw driver in there, but really run the risk of boogering up the threads if ya really try to work it. I'm the process of trying to work on this c-clip I've pretty much have destroyed two screwdrivers.

There is also a small hole on the side of the cylinder that looks like it might support a small drill bit. I've attached a couple of picture for your viewing pleasure. , however the one trying to show the c-clip is blury. Bout the bast I can do to try and get a picture of the inside.

Anyways, whould anyone happen to have an idea on how to approach getting the guts out of this this with out destroying it?

Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails
2016-05-09 09.27.33.jpg   2016-05-09 10.02.01.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 11:44:54 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: New Holland 7308 loader

Okay, I figured it out.

Took a piece of hard wood as not to bugger up those outside threads, and knocked those inward into the cylinder. This relieved tension on the c-clip, and I was able to wiggle it out with a screw driver.

see attached image.

David
Attached Thumbnails
2016-05-09 11.35.16.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13:09 PM
Subscriber

If the cylinder is like others I have seen, the little hole is to push the ring up out of the groove so you can then work it out easier.
PT
Old 05-14-2016, 06:13:49 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the info PFT, but actually the hole is there to keep the threads from turning when loosening and tightening the threads for the outside nut. If you'll see my last picture, on the far left there is 3 seals for that threaded part. Believe it or not it is lose on the inside. I guess what I mean by that is there is nothing keeping the wiper seals and such from backing into the cylinder. They created a sandwich like effect with the C-clip in the middle. If that makes sense. When tight (the nut) keeps the seals from moving inward, and the c-clip is there to keep them from moving outward. Line up the hole that is drilled into the cylinder with the hole in the wiper housing, and stuck an allen wrench in there to keep the threads from spinning when tightening or loosening. However, when the cylinder is 20 years old, you don't have to worry about the loosening part, because the rust has it locked in lol.

Anyways, in case someone has to rebuild a similar cylinder there is a note of it here.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcowboy For This Post:
Old 05-14-2016, 07:44:33 PM
Subscriber

Haven't seen any like that, but at least the engineer provided a way to service the cylinder. So many things built these days with no provisions to repair, just toss it and buy new.
The Following User Says Thank You to PFT For This Post:
Old 05-15-2016, 11:29:17 PM
Registered-I

I'm probably going to have to do the other cylinder too, as it is losing fluid, just not to the point of dripping yet. If I remember, I will take more photos to try and show its entire breakdown.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to rcowboy For This Post: