Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

towmotor propane forklift continental engine vaporizer

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 6395 times

Old 04-08-2015, 08:51:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: towmotor propane forklift continental engine vaporizer

Tank is 1/2 full. I think that I better understand the lpg now. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 10:32:14 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,571 Posts

The reason I ask that question is that the shut off valve on those tanks aren't all the same as I recall. I think that the newer tanks have a safety valve that automatically shuts off if the line is severed, the two types likely won't interchange. So if you try to use an old tank on a new system it won't work and likewise if the you try a new tank on an old system. Most have been changed over but not all. It's been a while since I had anything to do with them but that's what I recall.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33:53 AM
Registered-III

Motor fuel tanks are different from domestic (heat/gas grill) tanks, and in both motor fuel and domestic tanks, there are safety features whose designs have changed over time... some ideas being much better than others, so it IS possible that the tank has some feature that isn't compatible, or is downright not working... and some 'safety concepts' are actually more dangerous than not. Safety features often lead to complacency and ignorance which becomes a much greater hazard.

SOME tank systems have 'excess flow protection' in them... it's a valve that senses fuel flow velocity, and at a point above a certain velocity, the valve will shuttle to a lock-out position. This MAY be an issue... so worth investigation.

Another note- Propane and gasoline are really not much different in one respect- they're both liquids at some point. Consider that if it's -50F ambient temperature, you can dip a coffee cup of liquid propane right out of a bucket, funnel it into the bowl of a carbeurator, and start the engine like it's gasoline. If it's +210F outside, you'll need to keep that gasoline in an enclosed pressure vessel and pipe it through a propane system. It's all a matter of relative perspective.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:42:08 PM
Sponsor

Dieter,

Any chance you can post a pic of your vaporizer and carburetor? It would be helpful to see what system your lift has.

From your original description I think I could rule out an "Impco" system. When you say the vaporizer was attached to the thermostat housing it makes me think you have a "J&S" style system (odd, most Towmotors in my neck of the woods ran Century or Beam systems)

* Double check your Rego female coupling, on your lifts gas hose, for a displaced tank o-ring..sometimes the tank's male Rego o-ring will stay attached to the female when you unscrew it from the tank, when you attach it to the next tank no gas will flow as the double o-ring prevents full engagement of both halves of the coupler.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelBob View Post
Dieter,

Any chance you can post a pic of your vaporizer and carburetor? It would be helpful to see what system your lift has.

From your original description I think I could rule out an "Impco" system. When you say the vaporizer was attached to the thermostat housing it makes me think you have a "J&S" style system (odd, most Towmotors in my neck of the woods ran Century or Beam systems)

* Double check your Rego female coupling, on your lifts gas hose, for a displaced tank o-ring..sometimes the tank's male Rego o-ring will stay attached to the female when you unscrew it from the tank, when you attach it to the next tank no gas will flow as the double o-ring prevents full engagement of both halves of the coupler.
I am not near the forklift right now.
It is mounted on the thermostat housing which has the word "zenith" on the casting. The actual mechanism/heat exchanger is aluminum where a solenoid valve (Clark brand) is attached to the inlet. It has a large threaded screw with lock nut which adjusts and exerts pressure on a spring which applies pressure to a diaphragm which opens or closes a light-spring loaded "ROUND/FLAPPERLIKE" valve, which allows the liquid/gas to go out through to the carburetor. I have seen a picture on someone's website for a repair kit with a Caterpillar brand name; it gave no part name. The only thing that was damaged was an eight screwhole gasket and I did not want to spend eighty dollars for a gasket; the diaphragm was tight. Other than the input solenoid valve, there is no electric to the "vaporizer".

Is this recognizable?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31:14 AM
Registered

e bay sells impco vaporizers cheap. I needed one and when I took the old one off the info was on the side facing the machine where I couldn't see it. my machine starts right up and runs perfect now. well worth the 100 bucks. I spent more time thinking about fixing it then it took to fix it.