Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

post vise height?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1489 times

Old 12-26-2015, 02:25:53 AM
Registered

Default post vise height?

what hight should are post vise be. the same height of are anvil. and should we have more than one vise and more than one anvil in are working shop close to the forge? whay say the people that are a real working blacksmith. it looks like the men i see working in a blacksmith shop the post vise is tall?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2015, 12:59:40 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: post vise height?

What are you going to mainly use the vise for? If filing, I like it to just below elbow height. If you are going to do use it for hot forge work like carving wizards or animal heads you might want it a little higher. I have 2 post vises. One on the bench for filing and another mounted on a utility pole set in the ground so that I can walk all around it which nice when using a bending fork or if you want to make a coil or spiral.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18:19 PM
Registered-III

i dont have a blacksmith shop, but i did loan my big forge to the camp crooked creek scout reservation on a permanent bases.

it was quickly discovered that many anvils and vises were needed. as the first guy noted, heights are varied according to what is being done. anvils would be similar.

they use railroad spikes and make knives and tomahawks. go with local railroad yard, and now they have an endless supply.

set up your shop as works best for you.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02:01 PM
Registered

as mentioned earlier, think of how you will use it - if for filing, elbow height is the choice. In all of the working shops I've been in, there were several vises at several heights to fit the need. Vises at the bench are at elbow height, vises near the forge were lower to allow for hammering, and for cold work were kind of in between. Think of how you want to use it, and go from there.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:57:35 PM
Registered

thanks for the reply's. i just thought i would ask and i have many needs because i work on many things. i just was thinking a bought the long term damage to the body. but if you are just reading this. it what you most work on,as of a set height of a vise .proly best to have many vises. at different heights , i do. but i had not seen a post that asked the question. now there is one.thanks to the everyone that added a reply Dencie
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34:26 AM
Registered-III

If you only have one or room for one, put it up high as you may ever need it. Use a pallet or 2 to bring you up the the height you need for different projects.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:18:55 AM
Registered-II

I really haven't given much thought to the height of a post vise since they come with a post that usually gets set in the floor. That determines the height of the working surface in most cases.
I suppose you could cut the post off if you wanted to mount it lower than normal, but I'd have a hard time mentally with doing that.

Here's how we usually mount them:
http://spaco.org/postvise.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------