Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Wind power generator?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 609 times

Old 09-10-2016, 11:57:31 PM
Registered-III

Default Wind power generator?

I was working on an electric wheel chair and in the manual it talked about regenerative braking. So I was wondering if wheel chair motors would work in a wind generator? There was two electric motors and 2 12 volt batteries on the wheel chair. I have no real info on the motors, but seems like they would be 24 volt motors. Any thought out there about this?

Richard W.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2016, 12:38:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,186 Posts
Default Re: Wind power generator?

A question of start up speed. You have to run a higher voltage into a battery than rated battery voltage before it will begin to charge. On cars etc. that is usually set between 13.5-14.3 volts. Call it 13 volts minimum.
Drive motor using a variable speed drill and read output volts from motor with a meter. Measure RPM. That is the minimum RPM the wind must drive motor.
Doc
Old 09-11-2016, 05:06:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,488 Posts

Yes it is possible with permanent magnet generators, if you want more info and an unbiased opinion, send me a pm. It takes a little bit of explaining............
Old 09-11-2016, 05:14:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,870 Times in 2,687 Posts

Permanent magnet motors (not brushless) make decent generators. The only real drawback is that voltage regulation is more complicated and requires more powerful components.

With a wound field motor, output voltage is regulated by varying the relatively small current in the field winding. On the other hand, the output of a permanent magnet generator has to be regulated.

On the permanent magnet motors I've used as generators, the RPM is about the same as or slightly higher than the RPM it runs as a motor.

The most unusual motor I've used as a generator is the motor from a direct drive (gearless) washing machine. Here's the deal on that one.

http://www.eldensengines.com/Washing...20Project.html

Have fun!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com