Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

General Squawking About Windows Update

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 1252 times

Old 09-16-2016, 03:52:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Re: General Squawking About Windows Update

Makes me shiver to read all this stuff. I am glad my old Xp machine is still working. but when i do have to update, I don't think any of the new stuff will work with dial up because of all the update crap built into it.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2016, 01:15:13 AM
Administrator

Thanked 10,062 Times in 1,667 Posts

Wahooo! I've hit the mother lode!

I kept seeing web pages indicating that I should download and install Microsoft update kb3102810. In fact, I saw Microsoft support trying to do that update while they were logged in on my system. But, it wouldn't install.

Here's the catch: Download kb3102810 (in my case 64 bit) to the downloads directory, turn off your computer, disconnect the internet cable, boot it up, double click kb3102810, it installs itself, turn off the computer, reconnect the LAN cable, boot it up.

Run Windows Update. Now 228 Updates came in and they are now in the downloading process. 995.4 Mb! So far 56% complete and the hard drive is going nuts! (Previously, it just sat there fat, dumb and happy.)

Should be fine now! Disconnecting the internet while installing keeps WU from running and conflicting with the update.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f744c52?auth=1

A LEARNING CURVE and Alzheimers prevention exercise! By the way, the screen shot below was grabbed by running "sni" the snipper. It was of the actual running of the Resource Monitor looking at Disk activity showing updates going into c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	updatetraffic.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	263526  
Old 09-22-2016, 02:29:04 AM

Thanked 18,279 Times in 5,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Makes me shiver to read all this stuff. I am glad my old Xp machine is still working. but when i do have to update, I don't think any of the new stuff will work with dial up because of all the update crap built into it.
What the heck browser are you using on an XP machine?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:15:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,575 Posts

FF on this old 2005 XP box.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:17:54 AM
Administrator

Thanked 10,062 Times in 1,667 Posts

It took all night to get all those Windows Updates installed and now there's even more coming in. It's working like a clock and fast at that! Totally amazing!

Next I've got a notebook on Windows 7 that needs the same treatment. Also, Jeannie's desktop machine is still on XP and needs 7.

If you have a router, don't overlook that it needs occasional firmware updates too.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:23:40 AM
Registered-I

That sounds like my wife's laptop, in a sense. Probably if I hadn't done ANY updates until now, it would have been just like that.

After it did the 39 updates, it found more. The not-so-nice thing is that some setting was changed, and the 10 or 11 updates I'd refused to do (until after I'd checked them) - it did them anyway, on a shutdown. At least, however, all of the "trick you into accepting 10" stuff is gone. (I'll need to see if they installed the 10 spyware on her laptop.)

I guess they decided that "recommended" meant "You don't have a choice any more!"

Anyway, it's a relief when the things are working right. I'm glad the problem is solved for you!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,217 Posts

I know a tech who disables updates on every machine she does. She thinks computer should stay with OS installed when it was manufactured, because it was designed and optimized for that version of OS.

She has a point. We have had several discussions in which I say that drivers for video, sound, etc. are sometimes revised and improved later on, and bugs in OS or security holes patched. We agree to disagree, but I would not fault anyone who disables updates.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
thinks computer should stay with OS installed when it was manufactured... agree to disagree
That somewhat sums it up. A new OEM OS (Think brand new Dell/HP or even Apple) has an OS tailored/customized for that machine so performance and experience should be close to ideal, as long as nothing is changed. On the other hand... nothing is ever perfect. There will always be bugs/glitches and security exploits that the developers didn't think of. It is very important to update however it can be equally as damaging/harmful (to the user experience) if you blindly check "yes install/update all". Why install updates/patches to things you don't use?

I've ditched all but three MSFT OS'es. What I have left is all virtual: an Active Directory server (working on switching that over to CentOS), an 8.1 x64 machine that I need to manage VMware, and a 32-bit W7 laptop which runs some factory/manufacturer software in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode so I can work on my vehicles. Other than that its all *nix, BSD and OSX.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:45:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,217 Posts

OSX?
MAC OS?
Have to pay for that?
Need Apple machine to run it?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:59:49 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
OSX?
MAC OS?
Have to pay for that?
Need Apple machine to run it?
Yes OSX = Mac/Apple OS. Pay for it... Yes and no. The OS is "free" with the (ridiculously expensive) Apple machine it runs on. People have figured out how to put OSX on PCs and other things so technically (you void the license agreement) but you *can* run it on some non-Apple hardware. I have it running virtual on VMware, as well as properly, on Apple hardware. I used to be very against it but now I'm somewhat of a fan. Has a lot of things native that Windows doesn't (like a command prompt that supports ssh). The hardware is also a bunch more ergonomic than Windows laptops and the other fringe OS'es (*nix derivatives) don't have software support for many things I need.