Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco-Light Plant needs serious love

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1368 times

Old 08-23-2016, 04:46:21 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Delco-Light Plant needs serious love

If those are actual Edison cells in that shed, do NOT try to add electrolyte until you do some research. Edisons did not use acid/water. I only know enough about them to be dangerous, but I know enough to know that I'd sure like to have a full set! They're supposed to be almost indestructible even after sitting many years.

If they are Edison nickle/iron cells you are a very lucky man!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2016, 06:52:28 AM
Registered-I

check out youtube restored delco light plant by bgnagie
Old 08-26-2016, 09:49:38 AM
Registered

I've seen bgnagie's videos. The one where he has two running at the same time seems to be more useful to me,as the one unrestored on the bench more closely resembles mine.

The batteries say "Edison Standard" on the caps. They are buried in the shop, and I haven't done anything more than simply located them. I will attempt to get pictures the next time I am in there.

I'm becoming concerned about finding the mixing valve. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Can anybody point me in the direction of some information about the mixing valve assembly?
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17:11 AM
Subscriber

I have reprint parts and electrical service manuals for sale if you are interested.
I also have some parts if you get to the point where you need that.

I have a set of Thomas Edison Nickle-iron / alkaline batteries that I use in my display trailer.
If they are low on fluid just add distilled water, the potassium hydroxide chemical is still in there it does not evaporate; it just dries up and turns into powder.
The Following User Says Thank You to FDChief For This Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 12:59:46 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info, FDChief. I haven't had a chance to dig the batteries out yet, but I'm thinking I will have to give it a try after we finish with harvest. Haven't figured out how to charge them without the Delco put together, but I'll burn that bridge when I get there.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22:40 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbjicase View Post
Thanks for the info, FDChief. I haven't had a chance to dig the batteries out yet, but I'm thinking I will have to give it a try after we finish with harvest. Haven't figured out how to charge them without the Delco put together, but I'll burn that bridge when I get there.
Get three 12V batteries and charge them with a normal battery charger. No need to have 32V exactly. A delco will easily produce enough voltage to charge them. In my experience, the 32V bulbs survive continuous use at almost 50V.
They do burn a bit brighter though!
Joe