Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Getting My Rivet Forge Up & Running

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1384 times

Old 10-11-2016, 04:50:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,516 Times in 638 Posts
Default Getting My Rivet Forge Up & Running

Here's some pix of my Champion Forge that I'm prepping for use.
Can't find a source around here for bituminous coal ... so I'm forced to use anthracite from Tractor Supply (in 40# bags)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.9.16a.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	265066   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.9.16b.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	265067   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.9.16c.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	265068   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.9.16d.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	265069  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2016, 08:04:34 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Getting My Rivet Forge Up & Running

Is that clay you have lined your forge with , or something else ? I'm getting closer to doing the same thing here at home. Keep us informed on your progress. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:12:32 PM
Subscriber

Yep ... red clay from a local excavation. Brought two - 5 gal buckets full home. Used the most of one bucket. There is 2-1/2" of firebrick under the clay. I had to make the duck nest so deep .. to keep the anthracite burning.
I built a fire last weekend with no clay or brick & had one heckofa time keeping the fire going.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54:49 AM
Registered-II

Glenn, have you tried your regional blacksmith group to find coal? Here's a link to their website with a list of coal suppliers. You might get ahold of someone in that organization if that doesn't do it for you.

http://www.appaltree.net/aba/Coal.html

Hope this helps. In August I was just told by my supplier that the feds have shut down the mine where my coal coal comes from in Kentucky. Makes me very nervous, but I hear there are still mines operating in West Virginia. I far prefer coal to gas--it costs about a quarter an hour to run, it's more versatile, and it's quicker to get going than a gas furnace. Nothing quite like the government making our lives more difficult while they demand more out of us.

Good luck

joel
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 12:06:30 PM
Registered-II

All is not lost if you can't find blacksmith coal. The very best blacksmith I know uses charcoal almost exclusively:
http://spaco.org/latane/TCLatane.htm
Of course, it is a different animal to use, but, once you understand how it works, you can do just about anything you need to do. And, no clinkers!
Personally though, I prefer coal because I think it does ultimately get hotter than charcoal.

I'd add this to the previous poster's comments on coal sources:
Join that local blacksmith club. I don't know where you are, but many of the clubs that I am familiar with do bulk buys of coal and resell it to members.
You can find all the blacksmith club choices in North America at:
www.abana.org
by clicking the "affiliates" link.

I'd have to agree with the previous poster's comments about the "shoot yourself in the foot" approach that the current USA administration is taking on coal. The USA has done a LOT more to improve coal emissions than has the rest of the world. Let THEM catch up before we start to think about screwing up our own economy some more. (Sorry for the almost political rant comment.)

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 12:16:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,119 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sanderson View Post
... I was just told by my supplier that the feds have shut down the mine where my coal coal comes from in Kentucky
That is Obama's and Hillary's stated goal, shut down the coal industry. About the time Hillary entered the run for president she stated this although she did back off a bit a day or so later.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34:45 PM
Subscriber

Checked all the links ... NO ABANA or NO COAL close to me

8^(

Old 10-14-2016, 12:46:20 AM
Registered-II

Roughly, where do you live?

Coal coke is also an option. If you can locate a foundry that casts iron, they will have it, probably in large chunks. I still have about a ton of the 4" X 6" coke.
That is coke that will fall through a 4" by 6" screen, I think. Anyway I chop it up with a hatchet into walnut sized pieces or smaller and I use it when I have a lot of forge welding to do. (you can't simply "smash" coke, or it will turn into powder).
In my case, I got my first 100 pounds of it by trading a couple pairs of long handled tongs for it, since the foundry needed them for handling hot castings coming out of the shaker.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 10-14-2016, 02:54:31 AM
Registered-III

A google search for bituminous coal pulled up some listings on that auction site. And one person selling 100 + pounds for a buck a pound shipped. Not sure how that compares to the sack at the feed store.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 03:40:29 AM
Subscriber

I live in the Northern Panhandle of "West Virginia" .... Bethany to be exact. Between Weirton & Wheeling ... about 40 miles southwest of Pittsburgh, PA.

I pass "Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel's" "Coke Plant" on the way to work every morning ... but there's no way they're gonna sell me any Coke. ( Damned thing is ..... I used to work in there ! )
My best hope is to find a Truck Driver that hauls it .. & slip him a few bucks to let some "Fall off his truck".

There's no way I'm paying a buck a pound for coal ! I'm paying $6 for a 40# bag of anthracite at Tractor Supply.
40-some years ago ... just out of High School ... I worked as a welder/mechanic in a Strip-mine .. just 5 miles from my house. I could have a had a tri-axle load of bituminous dumped in my driveway for free. My, how the world has changed !

Yesterday, I talked to a couple of truck-driver buddies of mine ... & may have found a couple of nearby landscaping yards (they sell different types of decorative stone & landscaping blocks & such) ... They may have a small coal pile they sell out of. Now to see if it is bituminous ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0918161854a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	265269  
Old 10-14-2016, 09:52:57 AM
Registered-II

Looks like you are only about 35 miles from Pittsburgh.
How about contacting:
PITTSBURGH AREA ARTIST-BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION

President
John W. Steel
2063 Lovi Road
Freedom , PA 15042 USA

steeljw@comcast.net

(724) 774-6757

We have to drive at least 40 miles one way to go to a meeting, and sometimes as far as 100 miles, so 35 miles to get a few sacks of coal wouldn't be a problem for me.

Our club, the Guild of Metalsmiths sells a 5 gallon pail of coal for 10 bucks to members, by the way. That's about 33 pounds.
We buy a 22 ton to 26 ton load about once a year. It sometimes comes from West Virginia.
Not sure what other clubs do.

Pete Stanaitis
Old 10-15-2016, 08:19:02 AM
Registered-II

A problem with charcoal is that it is so light it takes a huge volume. A fire 6" wide and 14" long eats up fuel. (That's my fire's size.) It's good to be independent and make your own fuel, but the time making it is time not making ironwork. Working harder to do the same thing is not my idea of progress.

You could look into the Ohio organizations too. I was told there was a lot of coal for sale at Quadstate a couple weeks back. That was over in Troy. Lotsa fellas make that trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 08:49:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanks guys !
Freedom, PA is a lot farther than I'm going to drive for a bucket of Coal.
I guess I'm not really interested in joining a club or group .... I just want to fiddle around with Smithing a little & see if I like it. I have no idea what I would even like to make. Not really interested in knives or swords ... Not interested in the dragons or figures ... although I sure do appreciate the work & craftsmanship that these guys put into these items .
I do occasionally make a tool I need or heat something to work it into something I need ... though I've always done it with an oxy-acetylene torch. In all reality .. I can do my "forging" with a torch in less time than it takes to build a fire in the forge.
I guess I just want the nostalgia thing of fiddling with the forge & coal for now ..

I displayed / ran old engines for several years at a month-long (every weekend) fall festival ... while a blacksmith guy right next to me did his demo. I enjoyed watching him & helping him a little. He made nails & little hooks & such & mostly gave the items to the onlookers. It was interesting for both the wife & myself .... so we both just want to dabble a bit & have a little fun.
I would like to make my own hammer & I have bought a pre-cut out set of tongs from Ken's that I will try to finish when I get a little experience. The neighbor kid has voiced a great interest in blacksmithing ... so I told him I would let him learn along with me.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:25:41 PM
Registered-II

I have a friend and well known blacksmith (Tom Latane') who has roots in your general area.
He contacted Gerald Boggs, who lives in your area.

Here is Gerald's reply:

Good Day Tom
I've gotten coal from this gentleman, good stuff. If not, some of the local hardware stores carry it, Mongers hardware in Harrisonburg, va is where I've been getting mine as of late. He might call around his area and see if any carry.
Lloyd Burns who lives in West Virginia will deliver the coal to your shop. He has been doing this for years and has delivered it to a lot of famous smiths, plus Colonial Williamsburg and John C Campbell Folk School. He and his wife Ruby are very nice people and they have delivered a three and half ton load to my shop four times. His telephone # is 304-497-2371 .

And here's a second, but I've never used them, not sure if they still are: Greenbrier Minerals in Rupert, West Virginia. Tel. 304-372-1000,
Fair Winds
Gerald
----------------------------------
I hope this helps,
Pete Stanaitis
Old 10-16-2016, 08:39:18 AM
Subscriber

I sure do appreciate the help in finding coal in my area ... but ..... these places are way farther than I have an interest in driving to pick up a few bags / buckets of coal.

Rupert, WV = 4 hrs / 224 miles from my house.

Gerald Boggs - Nearby to a Mongers Hrdwr store in Harrisonburg, VA = 4 hrs 39 min / 248 miles from my house.

I will check with a couple of Old Timey Hardware stores in my area ... maybe they can point me in the right direction.

I sure would like to meet any Blacksmiths within a half hour drive of BETHANY, WV.. that may read this thread.,
Old 10-17-2016, 06:10:19 AM
Registered

you can get coal,Santa just might put some in your stocking this Christmas just kidding. call the closest blacksmith club to you people drive all over the place you will proly have a blacksmith driving close by your house on the way to or from a event .blacksmiths are very friendly and very helpful folks!they would proly drop off a couple 5 gallon buckets of coal.or next time you are at a event were there is a blacksmith demonstrating him to buy what ever he has left over after the show.so he wont have to carry back home i bet he will help you again blacksmiths are very good people.just trying to encourage you to get into the blacksmith trade! happy hunting.
The Following User Says Thank You to siouxindian For This Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 12:43:41 PM
Registered-II

I agree with siouxindian.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear when I gave you suggestions about contacts to a nearby blacksmith club.
The guys listed, like John Steel, are simply officers of a club that may have members as far away as a couple hundred miles from their own mailing address.
Our national/continental organization, ABANA has somewhere between 4000 and 6000 members at any given time and its (approx) 70 affiliates have from about 50 members to over 800 members each. (Not all local club members belong to the national organization).

So: DO make contact with one or more of the guys I have listed. If you don't make the connection you need, so be it, but what have you lost?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 10-21-2016, 02:09:28 PM
Subscriber

A very good friend of mine delivered this to me last Saturday. I had told him a few weeks ago that I was starting to dabble in Blacksmithing.

It sure looks like it is all original & all there ! The only thing I can see that is hurt ... is maybe the movable side is bent just a little .. right below the screw hole. I will straighten it later if I feel it is needed.

I got the 400 blower back together & running smoothly .... got the 401 sheet metal pan all clayed up & a 3" deep "ducknest made for this darned anthracite coal. (only coal I can find locally) ... The State famous for bituminous coal !

134 lb Haybudden is rr spiked down to the stump. .... I'm almost ready to beat steel !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10.15.16a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	265999   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.15.16b.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	266000   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.15.16c.jpg
Views:	57