Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Holley 650 carb issues

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 3292 times

Old 09-12-2016, 03:42:30 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Holley 650 carb issues

Stromberg 97 and that's all i have got to say. Nothing like a big bore flattie with a forest of 97's.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2016, 10:23:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,053 Times in 1,426 Posts

I think this is the thread I received a pm in reference to updating? I had read the entrys back weeks ago but other than the truck being parked for the time being while other aspects of life are being delt with not much else has happened to it.
Sorry I haven't kept things updated. Life gets in the way but that does not mean I don't appreciate the help and the info is here when work is done.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 11:08:56 AM
Subscriber

I just got done dealing with a Holley doing the same thing, I agree with a earlier post bad floats unless it has brass floats. The non brass floats tend to get gas logged and you constantly wind up adjusting them. A quick and easy fix if you think you have some crud in the needle & seat is disconnect the fuel line and run it out of gas. When you hook the line back up fuel will rush by the needle and flush out any contamination. All it takes is a piece of lint to cause it not to seal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:48:17 AM
Subscriber

Well this truck saw little use till a month ago when we had a ice storm. My dad went to his girlfriends with a generator in the back.
It made it the 20 mile trip,but had to come home the next day on the back of a Kenworth rollback.
What ever was wrong with the carb finally let go.
I have dreaded trying to cipher it. but after looking at the price of new carbs, and not being certain it was the only issue with the truck, I didn't want to see money wasted on a new carb.
So I bit the bullet. I bought a 33 dollar kit ,took it off and apart a bit at the time and cleaned and installed the new parts from the kit.
I found a BUNCH of coffee grounds looking mess in the bottom of the bowls. you can see some of it in 1 of the pictures. I soaked that screen in methlethelkeytone as it is the only thing I found that will help break loose old crudy fuel.
But no problem that really stood out as causing the issue of flooding to the point of not running.
But the orings around the needle and seats looked rough. and that crud may have been part of it.
The thing that makes me mad is we paid a guy to fix this carb a few years back when we rebuilt the engine. But I found 3 things about the carb that even with my inexperience with 4 barrels stood out as wrong.
The float for the rear barrels, was set so wrong it could not have been letting in any fuel to speak of. a lot of bad gas and crud in that bowl.
The base is held onto the body with 8 12-24 bolts about 7/8ths inch long. There was only 4 in it! Carb was always damp around that gasket area. now I know why.
The diaphragm for the vacuum secondary had not been replaced as the screw holes were tattered. a new 1 was not in the kit either. I think i saw them separate at the parts store.
For what the guy charged, we thought it was right. And the truck did run "ok" for a couple years.
As I took each section apart it got cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner .
The base was not level either so I used my table top belt sander to deal with that.
Once it was finished I put it back on the truck.
It runs dang good now. Cold natured,but it is a manual choke carb so just give it a tug.
I am wanting to learn about a "preset" for the 2 idle screws in the side of the carb so i can get them to a base line and fiddle with it some. they change the way the engine runs but it does not idle smooth as I would like. I swapped out to new plugs to as some looked gas fouled.

So I bit the bullet and got the truck running ok again.It will actually spin both rear tires taking off from a standstill now.Something it wouldn't do before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00241.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	274505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00243.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	274506  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:29:55 AM
Subscriber

If it has one of the charcoal canister filters mounted by the radiator which has lines from the gas tank vent then on to the carb , I saw one that the charcoal was breaking up and getting drawn into the carb line on top. my uncle had a 2 barrel dodge with that problem. just something to look at, may not apply.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34:58 AM
Subscriber

No canister on this 1 but my old 77 chevy wagon has that.
I realize now that I did not adjust but 1 float back in april of last year. I guess I didn't realize at the time there was 1 on the back and not both at the front? Or just plain didn't pay attention? DUH.
Anyhow, I drove it this morning to breakfast. I had to turn the idle up slightly as I had it to low. I had to restart a couple times cause i pushed the choke in to quick.It was 29 degrees outside so it took it a minute to warm up. But it runs fine on the road now. Much better than it did when we first got the truck back on the road. I am surprised I was this successful with this being it was my first 4 barrel overhaul
Old 02-10-2017, 12:20:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,794 Times in 3,772 Posts

You might try and put one of those clear gas filters in the fuel line right before the carburetor. This will catch any crap coming thru the fuel line and pump, before it gets into the fuel supply needles or other carb componants. It will also let you see if any crap is getting thru the system.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:36:05 PM
Subscriber

when I assembled the engine in the truck I put a clear filter inline to help with trash issues.This is a before I took it apart pic. we changed it out trying to cipher the problem and the old 1 did have some stuff in it but it was the 1 we put in it when we assembled the truck so it is safe to assume a old filter will have some stuff in it.I can't see how the crud got past the filter. My honest opinion, the carb was not cleaned well and this crud was in crevices in the float bowels or something and broke free over time,clogging stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00239.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	274535  
Old 02-10-2017, 05:10:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,542 Posts

Glad to hear you got it running better (even with the Holley)

Keep us posted as to how well it works Long-Term, whether it keeps running as it should or starts acting up again with all the problems previously mentioned by several people.

One of the few things I DO Like about Holley's is the fact that the float level can be adjusted while it is running which can help overcome a few of the rich/lean/flooding problems.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:55:10 AM
Subscriber

It is still running on the road fine. the idle is just not smooth.
I aint so sure it is not something else besides the carb but Dad is able to drive it and such so I am happy.