Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Roosa Master pump

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 399 times

Old 11-05-2016, 09:20:11 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,093 Times in 357 Posts
Default Roosa Master pump

I have an IH 340 diesel utility, four cylinder with a roosa master pump, manual shutoff.
It was starting and running great, even with the glow plugs. Last month it started to act like it was running out of fuel. It would idle all day long but when you would throttle it up it would die. Also, when i would lift the loader it would die.
I took the pump off and managed to kit it, it has been leaking for years and just recently i thought it was leaking worse. I couldn't see anything wrong when i had it apart, didn't have the famous plastic piece in it that comes apart. It was a little dirty inside, one thing different i had done was to put four gallons of fuel in from another guys' can, don't know a thing about that meaning anything, but shortly after was when i had the problem.
The return line may have been plugged, but now i can blow air through to the tank, but i can't seem to get enough fuel through it to bleed the lines. And there is no fuel coming out the return fitting at the top of the pump with the line off.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2016, 09:26:28 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Roosa Master pump

How long has it been since you changed your filter elements ?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:54:32 AM
Subscriber

I am getting ready do do the same job on a case, and I imagine they are basically the same pump. If yours is like the case there is a hole in the driveshaft that has to line up with a hole internal on the pump. My manual says it's possible to assemble it wrong. I don't know what the holes are for but it clearly states they must line up. You don't have your manual shut off misadjusted? That all I got as I haven't tore into the case yet just doing a lot of reading the manual at this point.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:26:24 AM
Registered-II

It had been awhile since the filter was changed, but i changed it before i took the pump off. I timed the engine before i took it off, then put it back on timed, someone said it could be 180 degrees off, but it should bleed i think even so.
I think i'm going to see if i can get some help pulling it this afternoon to see if i can get fuel to the injector end of the lines, maybe i'm just having severe air lock. Then, the speed problem may not be fixed, but i can't tell without a bench test or running it at this point.
I already smoked the starter, got another one and tried it last night. Can't afford another starter, got carried away trying to bleed and forgot the 15 second rule on cranking.
This pump sits horizontal and does not have a check ball in the return elbow at the top of the pump. I was sort of unsure about the clockwise/counter clockwise cam ring position, but laid the parts out at dissasembly and checked the rotation before i put it together.
I thought i could handle this pump with a manual and some advice, but if it won't go this weekend its going to the shop. When i first tried it, i had a dribble at one of the injectors, i cracked the lines at the pump head last night and saw some air bubbles at one of the ports but thats it.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00:28 AM
Subscriber

Loosen up a few injectors so compression can escape, your starter will thank you! You may very well be 180 degrees out if the hole in the drive shaft is not lined up with internal hole if it's setup like the case.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:57:03 AM
Registered-II

Thanks, more than anything i wanted to see if anyone had the same problem, idle but no acceleration without a plugged return.
I'll see what happens this afternoon.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:14:38 PM
Registered-II

If your return had issues it would rev up and just quit. MM 's were known to plug return. Basics is pump would fill itself until it quit. If governor ring was bad it would just be erratic rpm. Start at tank and look for blockage. Have seen a bee in line or sometimes the cap off gas jug will fall into tank and settle on bottom especially when tank is low. I don't think you are getting enough fuel to inlet of pump.
The original problem still exists so it is not pump or timing.

I thought you were working on 17-28. I have a 1930 17-28 with road wheels and a 1925 12-20.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:36:47 PM
Registered-II

Thanks to all, i would rather be working on the 17-28 right now.
We pulled it around a while this afternoon. Got it to smoke but it never would take off. Could open the throttle and it would smoke pretty good, set it at idle and it sounded like it was running but never would keep running when we stopped pulling.
I just drained the fuel out at the filter drain, all of it. It flowed pretty good, got some fuel last time that was green like anti-freeze but a little bluer, doesn't smell as strong as fuel usually does, to me anyway.
To be continued.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10:22 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,118 Times in 2,168 Posts

I would think that if your getting smoke, it's getting fuel. IIRC there's a screen in the head of the pump at the inlet to the primary pump. We had a 350 diesel that had been rebuilt and the thing was a bear to start and then would run and smoke like a fire at a refinery! After all the messing with it, I finally started all over and found a twisted camshaft and the thing was 180 off at the pump. Seems the timing gears failed on a previous owner and they tried but gave up on it. I had to remove the valve cover to find TDC on #1 on compression to get it so the pump could be retimed, made a lot of improvement!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:51:15 PM
Registered-II

This afternoon i had some doubt about the timing holes lining up on the drive shaft, so i took the pump off and found i had lined them up. Next i will go through timing the pump again, new fuel, see what happens.
The kit came with thin black washers for the line to head seals, i'm going to put the copper seals back on.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13:57 PM
Registered-II

Some rings are copper some black some garvanized. Depends on the kit. All they are is a compression washer. If bad they leak at particular port. Putting tractors away for winter. Ih 350 Wheatland and 1939 MM ZTS in barn along with 7 others.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:43:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,101 Times in 718 Posts

I know you're trying to save some money, but you may consider taking the pump off and having a shop go through it. They can make sure it's all right and also set all the adjustments up.

You DO have fuel freely flowing at the pump from the supply line, right?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45:13 AM
Registered-II

Thats the next option, yes, the fuel supply is good.