Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New member, old metal

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 561 times

Old 11-11-2016, 05:55:44 PM
Registered

Default New member, old metal

Howdy, I finally joined this forum after having used it on several occasions to find info about various projects.

I'm an engineer (ducks beer bottle being thrown) from Milwaukee wisconsin, I grew up going to thresherees with my pa and probably from the age of about 3 have been obsessed with all things motorized. Started with lawnmower engines and i've worked on just about anything on the consumer end of internal combustion machinery from weedeaters to trucks. Not into spit and polish but i like taking basket cases of inanimate scrap metal and turning them into living, breathing machinery. Also spent some time working as a machinist so always a bonus if i get to make some parts of my own.

Finally joined as I've drug home a briggs and stratton Model Z, c.3/01/1936, two serial numbers after the 'march' start number.

It was in pieces but mostly there and decent shape, buried in the back of my grandmas old chicken coop when they were cleaning out to sell the farm. Not a valuable engine by any stretch of the imagination but it has some sentimental value and should be a fun little project for the winter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to motzingg For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 06:45:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,395 Times in 931 Posts
Default Re: New member, old metal

Very cool! There are a lot of guys on here familiar with the old Briggs engines. Manuals can be downloaded.

I've managed to accumulate three Model ZZs, all 1940's.

I also have a water cooled US Motors marine engine which I'm pretty sure is built out of a Model Z.

Keith
Old 11-14-2016, 11:46:38 AM
Registered

Hey Vanman, i've read lots of your posts on these engines, i'll start a thread in the appropriate forum and hopefully you can reply. Got a few questions.

I've seen mention of the 'water cooled Z' for military/marine applications. super cool. I'd love to see pictures. Is the cylinder water jacketed or just the head? Does it have the stock shrouding? Flywheel?

One of my problems is that i can't think what to do with this motor besides just put it on a shelf. I like to use my stuff to do actual work somehow. I'm leaning towards building a period-appropriate genset but it sounds like it would consume a ton of fuel, be ridiculously heavy and not make much power, so i'm trying to think of something else. It would be really cool to put it in an old boat.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:04:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,395 Times in 931 Posts

Hi, I'm by no means an expert with the Briggs engines, but there are several fellas on here who are. My projects have all stalled for now. Life has a way of getting in the way of the fun stuff.

The water cooled US Motors engine (there are no Briggs identifiers on it, but we all know it is based on a Briggs) has both a jacketed cylinder and head. There's a little water pump driven by a little belt. There are no shrouds on it, and you can tell that the flywheel is a stock one with the fan blades either turned off of it, or omitted in the mold. Either way, careful examination reveals vestiges of the fan blades. I haven't started a thread on that one yet.

I *completely* agree- I love to see my old machines doing what they were built to do, rather than just hanging out wasting fuel running with no load. A boat would be great, and, running at 1800 rpm, a 2 kW generator ought to be about right. It will be heavy, but wheels help with that. 2 kW is about perfect for home backup with a little load management.

As for fuel consumption, I think that raising the compression ratio would go a long way towards economy. I've also heard of guys drilling out the little hole so the sparkplug isn't so shrouded from the combustion chamber. I know that it's *really* cheesy, but for the sake of experimentation without modification, I was thinking to put one together with no head gasket (they're thick) and instead use only Copper Spray-A-Gasket, and see how it does.

Keith