Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Iowa

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 496 times

Old 12-17-2016, 06:21:30 PM
Registered

Default Hello from Iowa

Hi all,
I guess a bit about me is in order. Been a mechanical nut since I was a little kid and for years would enjoy taking anything mechanical apart from clocks to car engines. Never managed to put anything back together till I was 20 though. Rebuilt the engine on my 63 Ford Econolpne van. Anyway, I've picked up an eclectic assortment of stuff over the years, much of which covers a wide range on this site including a pretty average F-M hit and miss, drag saw, Vaughn flex tread garden tractor, 50's vintage outboard motor, WWII portable generator, lots of model steam and airplane engines, and now a couple real vertical steam engines.
The later was how I discovered this site. I came across an online auction on eBay that had a lot of things that piqued my interest and I placed several bids and won 5. But before the actual bidding began, I looked at one of the "unknown pumps" closer and realized it had to be a vertical steam engine. So I googled that and found this site which was more than I could hope to find.
The engine is small, having only an 8" fly wheel and stands 18" high but is very classic in appearance. "I just drove the 90 miles this morning over ice covered roads to pick everything up." I will post photos soon along with several other items included that are appropriate to this site. And the rest of my stuff as soon as I ge it out of storage.
Be warned, I like to pick brains!

A bit more about me. I was a custom gun maker for 18 years specializing in advanced metalwork. I have built British style double rifles from scratch but specialized mostly on bolt guns....but that was a long time ago. For the last 13 years, I have run the CNC machine production shop where I work, programming, set-up and operation, product design and development etc. But I plan on digging out all my mechanical stuff and making it all go again.

Sorry about the long read,

Rick
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fallenlodge For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2016, 07:17:00 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Hello from Iowa

Welcome aboard the Stak, ask your questions, lots of brains to be picked here.
PT
Old 12-17-2016, 11:29:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,254 Posts

Welcome to the Stak
Old 12-18-2016, 12:22:44 AM
Subscriber

fallenlodge; We all were new on this stak at one time or another. So
WELCOME to the stak. There are probely 1,000,000 people on here, so ask away. I have been on here since 2009 and still can`t do some things. But I have fun. some of us can`t spell good and don`t knew how to put pictures on, But we get by. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925 Check My profile
Old 12-18-2016, 12:48:39 AM
Registered-II

Hello and welcome, We have a gas engine show every year in Exline iowa on the 4th of July. Come on down and visit and see lots of engines, we had 142 last year. Feature this year is Witte.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,484 Times in 1,528 Posts

Welcome to the Stak! Your collection sounds a lot like mine, all over the place! You're amongst friends here. May I suggest subscribing? It's only $20 a year and it goes a long way in supporting the site. You also get many benefits along with it. Enjoy your stay whether you subscribe or not. This is the best old iron site on the web!

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20:34 PM
Registered

Hi,
Will the Exline show be on the calendar? I'd love to make that!

---------- Post added at 06:20:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
Welcome to the Stak! Your collection sounds a lot like mine, all over the place! You're amongst friends here. May I suggest subscribing? It's only $20 a year and it goes a long way in supporting the site. You also get many benefits along with it. Enjoy your stay whether you subscribe or not. This is the best old iron site on the web!
I hope to be spending a lot of time here and $20 to help support a site like this sounds like a bargain.
I think I remember seeing someplace to subscribe.