Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Iron Sides 2 hole portable sheller project

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 3034 times

Old 12-27-2016, 09:11:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Iron Sides 2 hole portable sheller project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
I'm making a new shaker/sifter for the underside of a 2-hole hand cranked "Lightning" corn sheller and need to make the new wood somewhat match the rest of the machine. Your approach seems like a good one, so thanks for the tips. Looking really good!
Thank you, believe it or not the women at the craft store were a big help and there are some old threads here on the Stak.

---------- Post added at 08:11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55:40 AM ----------

The last big component is the shelled corn elevator. Took a while to get it moving back and forth and so far have run 4 scoop shovels full of mouse nest out of it and moving about one fourth a revolution. The chain being rusted up in the mouse nests is the problem. We just keep spraying it where we can reach it and knocking it around a bit to knock it loose.

The majority of the elevator is savable I think. Clean out doors on each end had rotted of and had some pretty ratty looking patches applied. We have already removed the patches here. This is the boot,or feed end.

Buckets all look savable so far, seen about half of them.

Rather dark and fuzzy shot (sorry) looking at the top or drive end. Lots of mouse house removed from this section. Elevator is way big for a two hole machine. Pictures of 4 and 6 hole shellers seem to have the same elevator.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 01:04:29 PM
Registered-III

I love these bucket elevators. Wish I had some for my feed grinders, but paddles are about all I can rustle up and even those are scarce as hens teeth in these parts!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:00:31 PM
Registered-III

I am just finishing the elevator for a D400 John Deere sheller. I took the chains out of 2 different machines and drug them behind my pickup for a couple miles down our county graveled road. It loosened the chains up real well and took a lot of the rust off. I needed to replace a bunch of links so it was good that I had two chains.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31:01 AM
Subscriber

A few pictures of progress on the elevator.

This is the discharge head. The main portion of which shares the same piece of wood with the entire side of the elevator. Two other pieces where joined to make up the head. It was all very loose but the main problem was a crack in the full length board. I had to again decide between a major repair or a total new side. This time I went the repair route. Picture shows everything clamped back together and the first splice, or tie piece in place.

The second tye plate in place. All was painted and stained as with previous repairs.

The "C" shape casting was missing on the other side so I removed this one to make a replacement from steel. This serves as the hinge for an access door and also ties the top edges together.

That about completes the repairs. When the weather moderates in the spring I will pull it out, select an engine to power it and shell some corn!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:25:11 AM
Subscriber

Well I finally had time to complete the sheller and give it a test run. The shelled corn elevator gave me fits as the buckets were catching and could NOT figure out where or why. Ended up being some of the attachment links were bent enough that there wasnt room for the buckets on the return side, clearance is close. Sorry for no corn in the video, no helpers to feed while I filmed. We will be running it at our fall show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16:44 AM
Subscriber

Update, shelling corn at the Centerburg Farm Festival powered by our 6HP IHC M. Sory for the brevity It seemed to be longer when I was taking it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post: