Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New Memeber - Clovis CA - McCormick Deering Model M

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 745 times

Old 10-28-2016, 11:32:36 AM
Registered

Default New Memeber - Clovis CA - McCormick Deering Model M

Just bought a 1930 McCormick-Deering Model M. I have been buying ice cream supplies at Lehman's Non-Electric hardware site for a long time. I kept seeing their 5 gallon Ice Cream Freezer cart with a restored John Deere motor for BIG money and thinking I could build one of those.

Recently I was at an auction where they sold a Fairbanks-Mooris Model Z. I bid on it but it went higher than I was willing to go. A couple of days later I found the McCormick-Deering on Craig's list in a nearby town. The seller said he had bought it 10+ years ago from the widow of a friend that had taken to shows a couple of times a year and that it was running when he had last shown it. (In old car lingo: "Ran when parked!") He was asking what I had bid the F-M up to at the auction, so I took the bait, rented a trailer, and drove up the hill to "look" at it. (OK, I had pretty much already decided to buy it!). The first time he cranked it over, there was a Pop! and a puff of gray smoke, but it did not start. We tried several more time, but never go another firing. After sitting for 10+ years, I didn't really expect it to start right up. I gave him the $600 he was asking, we loaded it into the trailer, and I was officially part of the Old Iron hobby.

Since getting it home I have tried several more time to start it, but get nothing. My initial investigation revealed a couple of problems, either of which would account for the failure to start:
(1) The carburetor is bone dry; it looks like I would expect it to look if it hadn't been run in 10 years. I tried manually working the fuel pump and got nothing. So there is one place to start.
(2) I looks to me like the magneto is only firing on the very first cycle when it is cranked. I used two different test to see this: an in-line test light and laying the spark plug on top of the engine. Both methods indicated a good strong spark on the first stroke of cranking, but no further spark. I'm thinking that might be dirty or out of adjustment points, or possibly a bad condenser.

I love the statement in the manual under General Care of the Engine:
"No trouble in the operation or need for repairs is likely to develop which anyone of ordinary ability cannot locate and remedy promptly it they are familiar with the principles of gas engine operation, as explained in detail in the first part of this book. One does not need to be an expert to operate or care for an engine of this kind." With that kind of advice, who would not want to get one of these things running!?!

I do not plan or expect to become a collector of old engines, I just want to get this one running and build the ice cream cart to go with it. I love making home made ice cream!

I look forward to gaining lots of knowledge from those of you that have been working on these engines for years. Thank you in advance for help and advice I know you will be giving me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wframe For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2016, 12:01:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: New Memeber - Clovis CA - McCormick Deering Model M

Here are a couple of picture when the McCormick-Deering first go tot its new home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-23 20.28.17.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	266734   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-23 20.29.16.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	266735  
The Following User Says Thank You to wframe For This Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 02:21:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,392 Times in 3,498 Posts
Exclamation Re: New Memeber - Clovis CA - McCormick Deering Model M

Looks like a nice gasoline only engine. To start, you have to fill the carb reservoir until the fuel overflows and returns to the tank. you probably need to have a look under the magneto and clean/lube all the linkages. make sure the springs are not sludged up. DO NOT put motor oil where the mag says oil - use 1 drop 3 N 1 electric motor oil Yearly - no more! Excess oil in the mag will foul the points! Watch under the mag, and have someone turn the engine ofer. The ploe shoe should break 1/4" minimum and evenly. if it does not then adjustments/cleaning should be done. The fuel pump will take a while to pump fresh fuel to the mixer. That is why you have to fill the carb when starting. If the pump is gummed up, the check balls may be sticking. You won't know until the engine has been run a few minutes. If the spark plug has carbon on it, it may be shorting out under compression. try replacing or cleaning it well with carb cleaner. Dry thoroughly before re-testing.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:41:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,054 Times in 3,400 Posts
Thumbs up Re: New Memeber - Clovis CA - McCormick Deering Model M

Welcome to the Stak and the wonderful world of engine collecting.

You say this will be your only engine. . . . You'll have to let us know later how well that plan holds up.
They can be quite addicting and once you have one you'll be wanting more.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:55:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,413 Posts

Welcome to the Stak
Old 10-28-2016, 06:29:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,530 Posts

Welcome to the Stak, nice engine, yeah like Otto says, good luck at keeping it to 1.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:28:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Welcome to the Stak and the wonderful world of engine collecting.

You say this will be your only engine. . . . You'll have to let us know later how well that plan holds up.

As it turns out, I guess I am an instant collector: At the farm where I grew up (my son now lives there), there is a '62 vintage Wisconsin 2 cylinder engine on a self propelled spray rig that my father built, a '78 Hatz model E785 Diesel engine, and an old Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine; none of them working at this time. I just rebuilt and installed the carburetor on the Wisconsin, but there was no oil in it so I didn't try to start it. Sometime soon.