Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower.

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1692 times

Old 01-02-2017, 02:30:00 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower. FIRST POST

Rebuilding or finding parts for your Wisconsin AGND is not terribly difficult nor expensive. The AGND was a popular workhorse of an engine in the 1960's and 70's. Most were found on Yazoo and Kut-Kwik mowers. I have seen a fair share of them on Ditch-Witch/Charles Machine Works/Bus Brown trenchers, pumps and generators. I have an AGND on my cub cadet 125, it does a hell of a job blowing snow. It is a torque monster, and down right reliable. You wont find a heavier duty gasoline engine in that size package. Wisconsin parts are not that expensive, but expensive is a relative word. It really comes down to how you define "repair". It is pretty easy to spend a thousand dollars rebuilding a single cylinder thumper when you go the whole 9 yards; boring the cylinder, replacing valve guides/valves/seats, flycutting the cylinder jug and head, turning the crank, replacing the main bearings, rebuilding the magneto, rebuilding the carburetor, pounding out dents, sealing the gas tank, stripping/sandblasting/hot tanking/priming and painting the engine. I have seen a lot of "restored" Wisconsin engines that look like hell, run like crap, leak everywhere and are missing a ton of parts. I personally like my engines 100% complete and correct through and through. Wisconsin used to advertise on their packaging, Wisconsin engines demand Wisconsin parts. It is good that alot of inferior aftermarket parts are not available for them. You can make one right as rain, it just costs you. The way I see it, even spending $500 on a full engine overhaul will get you a hell of a lot better engine than what $500 might buy you today. A brand new Honda will wear out long before that old Wisconsin will. When your engine is right, it will start in less than three flips of the crank hot or cold. If you are good, you can get it to start on one flip everytime. With an electric start setup, you have all of that work already cut out for you. Even the Prestolite MBG starter brushes are still readily available. The hardest engine part to find is likely new old stock regulator/rectifiers for the flywheel alternator, but even those can be had if you look hard enough.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower. FIRST POST

Thank you for the reply. I am not opposed to spending a few hundred on it, mine has lots of parts missing, but for the most part it seems intact. I do not have a charging system on mine so I just charge the battery every other missing. Mine fires up well, it just struggles up my hill and I'd slower lately. I have started using 93+ octane, considering the BS ethanol content I can not avoid, I have also found the head shroud everyone was recommending I reinstall.

Should I try to disassemble the transmission and flip the fwd and rev clutches?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57:45 PM
Registered

Can anyone answer my question about the clutches? Can they be flipped over, or reversed?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16:30 PM
Registered-I

Without knowing the internal condition of the existing two clutches, any recommendation here would be no more than a wild-ass guess.
Pull the tranny, open it up and do a full diagnosis of what's wrong.
You may discover that you can fix it without help.
If not, at least you will have better defined the problem so that others can help.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06:30 PM
Registered

I want to tear this thing apart, but i am on a military deployment, and will not be home until end of Feburary, whoich gives me enough time to fix it before mowing season starts, but not a lot of time if I have to order/wait on parts.

I adjusted the clutches and it was a real pain working thru the little hole on top, it was much faster afterwards, and the gear selector stayed in drive. last time i used it, it would pop out of drive quite a bit. I am honestly not sure how much adjustment those clutches have left.

Does anyone know where i can buy clutches in the event i need them?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:40:23 PM
Registered-I

Yazoo parts are nearly impossible to find, so I have tracked down the company that supplied the clutches to Yazoo. I have never had dealings with them, but the link below shows a parts breakdown identical to the one in your Yazoo manual.

http://www.dynaformtech.com/products...tch-parts.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 01:59:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin single cylinder engine from a Yazoo YR60 mower.

I am selling this mower please let me know if you are interested. i need something a little newer. something my wife and kids can operate, as this one beats them up too much....me too if im honest!

I am located in Rochester Indiana.

i wish to sell the whole thing, not just the engine. please contact me via email at mdzii@yahoo.com

thanks