Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Toy steam engines run on compressed air help please

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2747 times

Old 12-27-2016, 09:16:59 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Toy steam engines run on compressed air help please

I recently purchased an "Ultra quiet" air compressor from Menards. I intend on using for such purpose. You can actually visit with the compressor running close by. Been making my adapters for Wilesco and Jensen engines, Empire, Weeden and Mamod next. Where do you find replacement heaters for Empires and perhaps a Jensen 45? Darrell
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 10:14:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
I recently purchased an "Ultra quiet" air compressor from Menards. I intend on using for such purpose. You can actually visit with the compressor running close by. Been making my adapters for Wilesco and Jensen engines, Empire, Weeden and Mamod next. Where do you find replacement heaters for Empires and perhaps a Jensen 45? Darrell
Here is a place that will custom make heaters to your specs. I know another collector had them make a heater for an Empire engine. I have no experience with them myself.

http://heatandsensortech.com/

Your only option for a Jensen 45 heater repair is to wind a new element with new nichrome wire of the same spec as the original. Many times it's just a bad connection inside that is easily fixed, if you get lucky.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 07:41:57 PM
Lead Head

Mini-fridges often use very small compressors, which make great very quiet air pumps. The only downside is they push a lot oil out of the discharge - which would probably be beneficial for your model engines anyways.

Just remember to add some kind of light oil into the intake of the compressor every so often.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,317 Times in 276 Posts

R. Kern, Here’s my setup I came up with when I was in 5th grade & wanted something compact & lightweight to take to the shows & run my small steam engines. A Maytag twin with one cylinder used as an air compressor cylinder.

It had a tight-fitting gasket on the back of the compressor cylinder that slid around the back cylinder lip to block the transfer port of the compressor cylinder off from the crankcase fuel & air. Holes were drilled on each side of the cylinder transfer port on the compressor side to pull intake. The exhaust port was also blocked off by a gasket. The spark plug was replaced with an outlet check valve. The oiler was added to help lubricate the compressor side & it also puts oil in the air line to lubricate the steam engines or whatever you’re running with the air.

I ran it like this for years without any problems. The compression (dead volume) space in the compressor cylinder was not changed but it’d still pump up to 65 lbs. or more. I made an adjustable outlet line regular/pop-off safety that can be seen in pic 3 below (the brass piece sticking up by the flywheel). The compressed air line connects to the engine on the backside.

The engine is fairly quiet with the ball muffler & small exit holes. It’s always run nice & steady. With the compressor cylinder blocked off from the crankcase, it’s not robbing the crankcase of the scavenging air & fuel so the power side gets a little more than it usually would, & the compressor gives it a little bit of a load.

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maytag compressor1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	271844   Click image for larger version

Name:	maytag compressor2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	271845   Click image for larger version

Name:	maytag compressor3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	271846   Click image for larger version

Name:	maytag compressor4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	271847  

Old 01-06-2017, 02:42:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,317 Times in 276 Posts

I also made up fake literature showing that it was an original outfit. This was before photoshop & no computer back then so itís a little crude; it was done on an old type writer I found in the trash at school. Had a lot of fun with the literature & compressor at the shows.

The last two pics are from 2003; I was curious how the gasket that was blocking the compressor transfer port off from the crankcase was holding up. It looked fine & I could have left it but I decided to make it a little nicer by actually cutting a piece of steel to braze & block the port off from the crankcase. The pics are a little blurry but see pics 1 & 2 below.

For a neat, lightweight, quiet & portable air compressor, this Maytag compressor is hard to beat.

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fake flyer resize.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	271850   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 2003a.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	271851   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 2003b.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	271852  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:56:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,794 Times in 3,772 Posts

Cool conversion NAR! great job
Andrew
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23:19 AM
Registered

I contacted Heater & Sensor Tech a couple of weeks ago about custom Empire and Weeden heaters. They said they no longer make heaters for toy steam engines.
Weeden Steam said they will have a new supply of cartridge heaters coming soon, for the Weeden 43 &44.