Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Lister engines,two new ones join the stable!

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 544 times

Old 01-11-2017, 09:41:26 AM
Registered-I

Talking Lister engines,two new ones join the stable!

I have been lucky enough to land two new lister engines to my collection yesterday, lets say a late Christmas present.

Firstly a lister CS, in very good order looking from the outside but needs a good clean. Unfortunately the rocker cover is broken but everything else looks to be there. I will get some photos tomorrow and see if anyone can enlighten me as to how it would have been started because I can't see anywhere that a crank handle would fit. The engine number is 194618, I have tried dating in on Peter Forbes dating table but as with my other listers I still can't work it out. To hazard a guess I would say 1958?

The second engine is a VA and would have come off a generator looking at it. I hadn't even heard of a VA until I read Ray Freemans thread recently, mine is in pretty much the same condition and has the solenoid on the engine for decompression but no other generator parts or the generator itself are with the engine. Engine number 130VA13. Again I can't make sense of it but am guessing it is a 1963 engine?

I don't think it will take much to get both of them running, just a good clean up and fix the fuel systems as no tanks are with them. By the length of the injector leak off hose the tank stood a fair way from the engine. Both fuel racks are stuck, like pretty much every diesel engine I have bought, but everything else moves freely. Came with a box of spares including many gaskets, big end shells, injector nozzles and valves with guides and springs so someone had plans at some point in time. Both the engines were left in a shed when the owner bought the property and he knows nothing of them so I have no idea of any of their history.

On the off chance someone has a spare rocker cover I would be very interested.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Lister engines,two new ones join the stable!

Hi mate I got my rocker cover from Rob Johnson. He is on this forum. Give him a go he sell lots of lister parts.
Adam
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Jones For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 01:28:53 AM
Registered-II

Hi there Karagullengine,
Certainly a couple of lucky finds you have there. Amazing how many of the old VA's turn up when so few of them came to Australia. If you remove the solenoid you can probably duplicate the parts that are on your CS for manual control, or contact Ozlisteroids for Indian spares.They will almost certainly have a rocker cover, a crank handle and possibly a decompressor, prices and service are very good. See their website.
A bottle of acetone is your friend when freeing stuck pumps etc. Submerge in a closed container overnight. Very lucky to get new spares as well. Guard them carefully.
Crank handle will have a spring loaded pawl to engage the keyway on the shaft on the fuel pump side. Be sure you can rotate handle freely backwards to be certain it will release when starting. Enjoy your new finds. Still like to fire up my two old thumpers, the VA and the CS 8/1.
Find a good load for your VA when you have it up and running. Mine is happiest when it's 45c in the waterbag and it's delivering 3.5 Kw to my air conditioners. Regards,
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08:23 AM
Registered-I

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22:37 AM
Registered-I

Hello Combustor and Adam and thanks for your replies.

I had a quick look for Rob in the members but couldn't find him, would you know his user name!

I will contact ozlisteroids if I can't find any older parts just so it looks period but I am not too fussy. I will be keeping them in original condition but give them a good clean up. If you have a look at the photos of the CS you will see what I was talking about in reference to how it was started as there is no where to place the crank handle! Kind of interesting.

I know I am very lucky to have got those spares, I didn't know about them until I got the engines, I reckon there is more $ worth of spares there than what I paid for both engines. I will give the VA a good load, maybe a large water pump as I have a few lying around. I will also get myself some acetone and see if I can get these pumps all nice and free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30:58 AM
Registered-II

Hi again Karagullengine,
See what you mean about starting your CS. Perhaps it was on a lineshaft, and started from anothe power source. Should be able to easily remove that Taper Lok pulley and swap it to the other side to make room for a crank handle. Ozlisteroids have handles for $25, cheaper than the s/h market.
Your VA will be tidier and more accessible with the air outlet duct removed, not needed unless installed in a closed room. Any chance its original cast iron base is still about somewhere? Makes mounting tidy and easy, and has an oil catch channel round the base to collect the drips. Looks otherwise complete and should come up well. Any of these oldies usually need the crankcase scrubbed out clean before running on modern oils, in case they have run on the old non detergent stuff and have a load of black gunk in them which detergent oils will break loose. Before first start, remove sidecover and operate the oil primer handle and observe that oil is fed to both main bearing wells and the wells are free of crud.
Sure you will enjoy time spent with this pair, just beware of a jealous wife! Regards,

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Oops, forgot to sign off! Old age and/or Alzheimers.
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 06:31:22 PM
Registered-II

Yes well going back a few years there used to be a business just down the hill from you in Midvale ,it was owned by Tom Mckay [ now deceased]. They had lister spares both genuine and Indian. I dont know if the business still exists under a new owner..............Ray Freeman may know!
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 07:33:29 PM
Registered-III

There is still someone in Midland that is a Lister agent. They exhibit at Dowerin. There is another over in Ozzie Park I believe.
I got a NOS valve for my L from the bloke who advertises in Tomms. He was very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Freeman For This Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44:01 PM
Registered-I

Sorry mate I can't remember his user name but here is his website. You can contact him on there http://oldtimerengines.com.au/
He also has an eBay store. His eBay user name is robsrustyrelics. He sells heaps of lister parts. He is excellent to deal with and gets your parts out very quickly. He has new and secondhand parts.
Hope that helps
Adam
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Jones For This Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24:02 AM
Registered-I

Seems there is quite a few lister dealers out there! I know of the one in Midvale but I think that is suited to the more modern models. I have seen oldtimer engines advertise here and there and their prices are very good. Plus he has a very good youtube channel.

Very well spotted to see that the pulley is a taper lock, I hadn't even noticed myself. From my experience with those they are very easy to remove so I am thankful about that. I will give this a good wash out inside with kerosene before attempting to start, the whole fuel systems on both need dismantling and given a proper clean and service also. I will take the inspection plate off the cylinder and clean the water galleries too, most likely full of mud, scale and corrosion. No sign of the cast iron base which is a real shame but one day one might turn up somewhere, stranger things have happened. I will take the air outlet duct off and see what it looks like, looks a bit awkward at the moment the way it is but having said that it does have a nice original lister decal still visible on it. Fun days ahead.