Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

John Deere No. 1 Sheller

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 721 times

Old 01-08-2017, 01:56:18 AM
Registered

Default John Deere No. 1 Sheller

Hello All, I know I'm new around here but I hope some of you might be able to help me out. I spotted what I think to be a John Deere No. 1 sheller today at a local guys shop. When I asked him how much he wanted for it he said $250. Hopefully if I can attach the pictures you can take a look. It seems to be only missing a belt.

Is $250 a fair price for this? I'm in Georgia so I don't think there are too many of these in the southeast, at least I don't see them much. If I were to buy it I would have intentions of restoring it. Any help or advice y'all could give would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	271933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	271934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	271935  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sambo-JD For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 07:06:48 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: John Deere No. 1 Sheller

20 years ago a sheller like the one you show would have been priced 3 to 4 hundred dollars at shows around my area in north Alabama . Higher at antique shops. I have one like the one you are looking at l gave less than 2 for it along time ago at estate auction. I haven't seen a sheller this style up for sale at shows that I attend , in several years. I see a lot of the all metal shelters for sale both lh and Jd . Price range around $150.00, condition not so good. It really comes down to how bad do you want the sheller and can you get your money back if you should decide to sell. I would say the price is in the medium range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonnie Grissom For This Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 11:30:56 AM
Registered

Thank you for your reply Lonnie Grissom. This gives me a little more comfort knowing he has it priced in the medium range.

I had try to do some research of the No. 1 and I haven't been able to find too much information other than the parts catalogue. I guess they just aren't as popular as the 1A and 1B.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58:12 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo-JD View Post
Thank you for your reply Lonnie Grissom. This gives me a little more comfort knowing he has it priced in the medium range.

I had try to do some research of the No. 1 and I haven't been able to find too much information other than the parts catalogue. I guess they just aren't as popular as the 1A and 1B.

Probably not as common. Try this link. Some parts are available on Ebay.

http://www.farmcollector.com/equipme...-zm0z13novzbea
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom G For This Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 02:33:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,104 Posts

It all depends who is after it.I would say being that it is still in ORIGINAL condition $250 - $300 US maybe more
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
It all depends who is after it.I would say being that it is still in ORIGINAL condition $250 - $300 US maybe more
Thank you all for your replies. The longer I sit thinking about it the more I lean towards making him an offer on it.

I have to agree with you Casertactor, I was impressed it was all there and in original condition. It looked like someone had sprayed a clear coat on all the bare metal parts in hopes to preserve the patina. If I were to pick it up this weekend I would have to decide whether it would be a full restoration project or keep as it is.

Looks like I might have an excuse to grow some corn now.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34:19 AM
Subscriber

I don't own a JD sheller but that one seems to be in pretty good original shape. In my neck of the woods I would expect to pay 150 ish. 250 seems a bit high, but I'm cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to midpw For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42:58 PM
Subscriber

Worth it. It is a 1915 only model year sheller with an export casting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Colwell View Post
Worth it. It is a 1915 only model year sheller with an export casting.
Thanks for the info Tim. What is the give away that this was made in 1915? The best I could date it was around 1915-1924.

Also when you say export casting, do you mean it was meant for sale outside of the US? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49:03 PM
Subscriber

The spoked flywheel was only used in 15'. Also the wood should say patent pending under John Deere. Another casting I could check is the infeed casting. Give me the no. And I'll tell you if it's a 15' part. I believe there is 3 15' exclusive castings plus the flywheel. All the 15's I see up here have the export casting. Actually all the no. 1s from my area do perhaps they didn't make it to Canada. I'd say it's worth what's he wants maybe a bit high. These are pretty common even with the export casting. But less common than a 1A or 1B. Get a No. 2 or 2A with an export casting and come talk to me lol.

---------- Post added at 04:49:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47:46 PM ----------

For parts contact the user "Dutch" I believe he's on vacation though right now. He should have everything but yours looks really complete. Check for cracks on the bearing casting and hand crank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Colwell View Post
The spoked flywheel was only used in 15'. Also the wood should say patent pending under John Deere. Another casting I could check is the infeed casting. Give me the no. And I'll tell you if it's a 15' part. I believe there is 3 15' exclusive castings plus the flywheel. All the 15's I see up here have the export casting. Actually all the no. 1s from my area do perhaps they didn't make it to Canada. I'd say it's worth what's he wants maybe a bit high. These are pretty common even with the export casting. But less common than a 1A or 1B. Get a No. 2 or 2A with an export casting and come talk to me lol.

---------- Post added at 04:49:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47:46 PM ----------

For parts contact the user "Dutch" I believe he's on vacation though right now. He should have everything but yours looks really complete. Check for cracks on the bearing casting and hand crank.
That's pretty interesting. So I just picked it up this afternoon from the guy. The infeed casting has part number 4554-C. Your right, the side does say patent pending.

I'm fairly impressed with this one. Seems to have all the parts except the belt, which is an easy fix. No visible cracks in any of the castings either. Someone had sprayed a lacquer or something on all the bare metal parts along with black paint in some areas. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't change a thing on it. I'm now left with the decision on whether to do a restoration or not. It would be a fun project.

I guess I can ask all of you. Would a restoration on a piece like this bring down the value at all?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48:55 PM
Registered-III

Tim, this flywheel was used on the #1 from 1915 to 1923. Part #4554C was used from 1917 to 1920.
Sambo if you would like a PDF file of the parts manual please PM me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitalplace For This Post: