Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Field Force Pump Company

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 8427 times

Old 12-28-2004, 02:43:59 PM
Travis M

Default Field Force Pump Company

I recently bought a 2 hp Leader engine made by the Field force pump company and am looking for some info. This is the first time I have ever heard of one. I have been told that they are quite common on the east coast but here in minnesota it is the only one I have ever seen. I picked it up in NY state. If they are so common why are the not listed in Wendalls book? Sorry I do not have any pics yet but my engine has field force pump company cast into the flywheels, uses a single gov. weight, has a brass essex mixer, and still retains some original paint and pin striping, also interstingly it uses 6 head bolts and has replacable valve guides. It is a interesting engine and whatever info you have would be helpfull thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2004, 03:50:17 PM
Registered-III

Exclamation Re: Field Force Pump Company

Well I wouldn't say they are common on the East coast. Might see a handful during the show season. Starbolt has a reprint of the manual but it doesn't help much with actually setting up the engine to run that you probably don't already know. Watch out for the governor, it's probably the worst designed system ever devised for a hit and miss engine. Probably why there aren't more of em around, dam governor failed and they all blew up! You have been warned! I used to have a 2 1/2hp and it did run very well when the governor decided it would do its job.

Cheers! NICK
Old 12-28-2004, 08:19:02 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Field Force Pump Company

Hi Travis, I have a 5hp Field Force and it runs great. With the original governor setup, it may take off on you if you dont watch it. I modified mine and I have not had a problem in five years with it. I am almost comfortable enough to walk away from it at a show now. As you can attest, they are a heavy engine. Once set up correctly, you will have hours of fun with it. Good luck with your engine. If I can be of any help, give me a shout.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:39:14 AM
Travis M

Default Re: Field Force Pump Company

Thanks for the info. This engine is very heavy and it only took one startup to figure out that the governor was a little hairy! It seems strange that there seems to be a few of these engines around yet the only listing in wendals book is in the very back with just the company name listed. Whatever happened to the field force pump company? Why is there so little info on these engines? It is a very well built engine (except the governor!!!) Would like to know what you did to correct the gov. problem. Also my engine is a 2 hp but the flywheels seem like they are a bit under sized and I noticed that it does not coast too long between hits. Well built or not it has is flaws! Guess they had "Engineers" back then too!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:28:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Field Force Pump Company

Travis- The flywheels are smaller than normal, but they made up for it in thickness / weight. I modified my engine by removing the underside factory spring and making a bracket and spring to put on the top side of the detent lever. This will hold the detent lever up to catch better. I did this five years ago and mine runs fine now. You will have to fool with your governor tension bolt and fine tune the carb to slow it way down.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...tachmentid=256

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...tachmentid=255