Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Fairbanks Morse Ignition Timer Revisited

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 9048 times

Old 12-17-2004, 05:23:43 PM
Registered-III

Question Fairbanks Morse Ignition Timer Revisited

Hi,
I was reading a post from October about the Ignition Timer on the 1 1/2 Hp Hit and Miss Battery Equipped Engine. I have two of these engines , one which is running and one which isn't , The non-running one I have had running in the past is just doesnt run well, I have had trouble with it since I bought it at the Hudson Auction In May of this year, I was able to track down an original oiler and battery box and have new skids made so I want to get it running nice.
I have a couple questions about this timer.
1. should the plunger have a flat spot on it, I know the cam should but i am wondering about the plunger.
2. I bought several repro spring and I have a good original spring , the problem with them is, first they are hard to put in and next when you get them, one which is suspose to stick out side of the rocker stand always breaks, it seems like it has great tension though, even better than the orignal spring.
3. how do you determine how many shims to use , i bought several from hit and miss and I am trying to find the correct break down of how many to use
my engine either sparks to much or not enough

Any help would be apprecitated since i am about fed up with this project and have moved on the easier Throttle goverend projects
~ Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15:30 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Ignition Timer Revisited

Jonithan,

Hit and Miss Enterprises lists 4 thin shims and 1 thick shim which are included in a kit with several other parts including the contact part and the insulators. At any rate the thin shims are .018 and the thick shims are .042.

You won't probibly need all of these shims but it is important to use the right combination of shims to get it to fire just before top dead center. Trial and error has always worked for me. Another important thing on these engines is to make sure the fuel check ball valve is working well.

These engines are amoung my favorites as one of these was my first Hit and Miss engine. When they are set up right they are very easy to start and they are very dependable.

Good luck, Dick
Old 12-17-2004, 11:24:31 PM
Registered-III

Jonithan, I'm sorry I didn't address you other issue in my last responce. All of the cam followers that I have seen are just slightly rounded on the end so that they will follow the slight dent in the cam that allows the pushrod to move to the rear closing the timming circuit.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:43:25 PM
Registered-III

Hi again,

I am getting to the age that I don't always remember things as well as I used to. As it is I had a complete governor sitting on the floor not 6 feet away from me when I sent the 2 previous replies. As I now look over this governor and refresh my memory I see that what I called the cam follower actually pushes on the cam follower which is a Wheel and bracket arangement. The wheel actually followes the contours of the cam. So it dosn't make any difference if the contact follower is flat or slightly curved on the end that contacts the cam follower wheel.

I snapped a picture of the governor I have here.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-222S.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	647  
Old 12-18-2004, 11:44:51 AM
Registered-III

Dick,
so the timer plunger is suspose to have a flat spot on one side of it ?
thanks for your replys and the for the picture you posted
Jonathan

I have a picture of my plunger but i can not post it because i do not know how to make it smaller to 1 megabite
Old 12-18-2004, 08:30:15 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Fairbanks Morse Ignition Timer Revisited

If these are what you are calling the timer plunger the answer is no they don;t have a flat side.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-223S.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	653  
Old 12-19-2004, 12:44:46 AM
Registered-III

Dick,
I guess thats part of my problem them because mine looks like the one near the mounting ear of the gov assembly, at it does have a part which is flat it is not totally round. where do I pickup one of these ? I don't think anyone reproduces them
Thanks,
~ Jonathan
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06:31 AM
Registered-III

Talking IT Runs !!!!!!!

After posting many messages and seeking much advice, my 1923 1 1/2 Fairbanks Morse Hit and Miss Battery Equipped Dishpan Engine, Finally Runs !!!
I bought it in May at the Hudson Auction , and until today it never ran right , I had it running several times but i never was right, it had timer problems a bent exhaust push rod, it need some gov work , mixer work ( it kept loosening up) It also need new rings and a couple other things but it finally runs like it suspose to , it Runs well.
Thanks To Everone who posted responses to my questions, I will be trying to post pictures of this engine and others ,if i can find out how to downsize them pictures since it always says file to big.
~ Jonathan