Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

E15 Ethanol

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 11579 times

Old 01-05-2013, 12:46:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 713 Posts
Default E15 Ethanol

Word recently has been spreading into large mainstream outlets like USA Today (Gannett) and Fox News about AAA coming out and advising drivers specially NOT to use the E15 fuel that is approved for sale by the government.

Not only that, but we're now hearing that virtually all of the major auto makers like Ford and Honda are now telling drivers that if they use E15, their warranties are voided.

Only 5% of vehicles are approved for E15. Ten major auto makers are telling the public they're out of luck if they use E15 and have problems. And now AAA is telling everyone flat-out "don't use it".

Above is an excerpt from an email received today and thought I'd share it. I avoid buying ethanol gas anytime possible.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,365 Times in 6,778 Posts
Default Re: E15 Ethanol

I don't care what the experts say. Ethanol blend is a problem. Had a customer from Dallas down here for the weekend. Ran out of ethanol free gas for his chain saw. That he buys in Dallas. So he bought the local gas to finish off his work. A week later chain saw won't start. Now I have it, putting on new fuel lines and cleaning the carb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy J Shafer For This Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 01:37:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,515 Posts

Lucky carb is still serviceable.
Sits for a while- "white rust".
In this area, 10% ethanol is the only gas available. I have been folowing a post from about a year ago about running ATF in fuel system when done. No problems since doing that.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,573 Posts

Having run E25 for most of a year 6-7 years ago along with the occasional partial tank of E85 mixed in with it with no problems, I'm not too worried about E15..... At least not locally. The only reason I quit running the E25 was because I was buying it at a station that was 'pay in advance' with credit card, and I no longer have a credit card.

If I ever go on a road trip and travel into areas where a lot of people report problems (real or imaginary), then I might avoid it there just to avoid the chance of it actually being a regional problem.

My Vehicles, in My Area..... have Never had a problem with Ethanol. That includes my daily drivers, my antique cars and trucks, my tractors, my lawn mowers, and my hit & miss engines. The ONLY fuel related problem I have had was with my Poulan chain saw fuel line rotting away in 10 or 12 years, but I still don't know if it was because of the Ethanol or if it would have done the same thing with regular fuel in that amount of time being a small flimsy plastic tube.

But, as they say.... Your Milage May Vary. If you're afraid of using it, then don't.

Myself, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,883 Times in 770 Posts

Engines that run perfectly fine on E10 are not going to magically blow up when you put E15 in it. I have run ethanol in cars for 30 years now with no engine problems and would not hesitate to put E15 in anything I own, even if it is not approved for it.

There are only a couple E15 pumps in the country, if you don't count blender pumps that have been around for several years. It is not "legal" to put E15 in older cars, so I would guess that if go to a station with E15, there will be a E10 or E0 pump right next to it. If you don't want to use E15, then don't, and quit complaining about it.

I will have to find the link again, but at least one study showed that some cars get the best mileage with 20 or 25% ethanol.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22:07 PM
Registered-III

It can cause hardstart and long crank on electronic fuel controlled cars as well as lean conditions depending on how it runs. Over 10% long fuel trim will set a p0171/174 lean code and on a car that is already at 7-8% the additional ethanol can and will push it over the edge. New cars are designed to run as lean as possible. In a carb car it is already so rich I don't know you would notice. As a mechanic I can tell you since they started with e-10 we have seen the number of crank no stat due to fuel pump failure probably triple. The electrical windings are fine the pump seizes. In a drive ability condition ford has pull fuel samples and check ethanol content by adding measured amounts of water to check adsorption, and over 10% is not acceptable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Wade7 For This Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,883 Times in 770 Posts

Yes, excessive ethanol will throw a code. In my experimentation with my 2003 S10, I don't get a lean code until I put more than 50% ethanol in it. It still runs just fine.
You are correct that a lot of the carbureted engines were excessively rich, which means that when you add ethanol they can and do run better and get better mileage.
That is the first I have heard about fuel pump failures. I have never had a in-tank fuel pump failure and I have had 5 vehicles each accumulate more than 200,000 miles with every drop of fuel being at least E10. I think the secret is to not run your cars out of gas which overheats the fuel pumps.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,117 Posts

You would think that by now the manufacturers would be using only components which are not damaged by even E-100. I'm aware that some rubbers and plastics become softened by alcohol. We put it in a lighter in place of lighter fluid and it dissolved the acrylic lighter tank after a few weeks.
I am certainly in favor of using ethanol for fuel but not as a beverage. The old time engine manufacturers recommended it and my Oilpull runs fine on it so, engineers, get at it and make the new ones work with it, too. How about cars in Brazil?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 713 Posts

Here's a link to an interesting read on ethanol and damages that have occurred because of it's use. http://rense.com/general85/eth.htm

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00:36 AM
Subscriber

I would advise against using it at all costs. It costs more money to make it then they sell it for. Another reason this country is in debt. Lets use American oil from American Soil people.