Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Jacking up a Forklift?

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 10492 times

Old 01-31-2013, 05:27:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,769 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default Jacking up a Forklift?

I traded in the old Clark forklift for a newer forklift last fall, got to use the new forklift 3 times before the starter died. Of course the starter is way down at the bottom of engine and its a hard tire machine so there is only like 3" of clearance. So my choice is jacking up the forklift and putting it on blocks, or pulling the intake, and maybe exhaust manifolds(I need to go back and look) and trying to go in from the top. Any suggestions on doing this without dying?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59:47 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,997 Times in 3,237 Posts
Unhappy Re: Jacking up a Forklift?

If you can get at the starter selenoid, try jumping that first. Most times, it is on the firewall. Make sure power is getting to the starter. Your only other recourse is to jack it up and block under the rires AND the machine, before getting under it. Make sure tires are chocked, so it cannot roll. When you are under it, make sure you have a buddy near by, just in case. Your other choice is to have someone come ansd fix it on site. BIG $
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,377 Times in 461 Posts
Default Re: Jacking up a Forklift?

Try some of those oil change ramps from autozone.....

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

In all seriousness, you may be a able to get to it by pulling the counter weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1936JDB For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 06:52:03 PM
Subscriber

Years ago while working for the Quaker Oats co. as a Millwright / Multicraft Mechanic I was assigned to the forklift shop for several years, while we had 2 hoists to lift the fork lifts up on there were times that just did not allow us to do what was needed.

My partner in the shop and I would them , remove the forks,
align the lift under an overhead winch/ crane, rig up a chain from the rear center pin in the counter weight to the overhead winch/ crane and slowly lift the fork truck up and allow it to pivot on the front drive wheels, gently setting it down on the mast , which would allow full access under the lift.
I know most folks don't have access to the equipment to allow this to be done, but it was an option for us.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to M Zeigler For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,342 Times in 3,223 Posts

What ever you lift it with, make sure you have something else underneath it also so it can't fall and crush you. I jack up cars, then put cement blocks under them , but I protect the cement block from cracking by putting a wood 2x10 over them to cushion them. And I only go 2 blocks high , and lift front and back of car so car is level and not pushing blocks sideways to make them roll over.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,344 Times in 562 Posts

And always place your blocks "Eye Up".
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn Ayers For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,828 Times in 3,305 Posts

Dealing with that much weight and having your head under the forklift, I wouldn't even trust cement blocks.

I would go with hardwood timbers or I-beams.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Dealing with that much weight and having your head under the forklift, I wouldn't even trust cement blocks.

I would go with hardwood timbers or I-beams.
Agree - no cement blocks.
Dalmation - didn't yu say you have an overhead hoist? If so - Post 4 seems reasonable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,828 Times in 3,305 Posts

I'd be a little concerned about how good all the oil seals and piston rings are if standing it on end to gain access underneith. But I guess you could drain the oil first.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,769 Times in 1,346 Posts

Solenoid on firewall has been jumped, nothing happens. No overhead lift, used to have a crane but its gone, could have just picked up the whole lift and walked under it, ahh the easy life. I'll have to see what I can find in the way of timbers or I-beams. Blocks, be they wood or concrete could not be much larger than the tires, and it is on a slight slope right now, hmm maybe if we chained it to the loader to keep it from rolling off the blocks.

1936JDB, we can try the Autozone ramps, if your willing to crawl under it
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36:59 PM
Registered-I

I am lucky mine is accessible from the side. A shop I worked in had the starter go out in the smaller CAT. We just used the big one to lift it up like a car hoist.

I would use several 2in blocks and start jacking one end then the other, lifting it 2in at a time. Make one block with smaller blocks on either end like wheel stops, and just keep raising and shimming them 2in at a time.

If you can get it started, make ramps out of blocking. Another option is to dig a pit.

Good luck and be careful,
Josh
The Following User Says Thank You to topmach For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05:00 PM
Registered-III

Slopes......I would be VERY CONCERNED about slopes !!! You really want a level place to work on it !!! Slopes make whatever vehical your lifting want to roll off.

Even on my level driveway , if I jack front of car up high ( ~ 2 cement blocks) and lower car on the blocks, they want to roll backward. That is why I jack+cement block both ends of car when going high , to keep it level and stop the rolling. (IF I only jack one end not too high I also rotate the blocks ~25 deg on both sides , so any block rolling fights each other and they don't roll). I support the frame, not tires, it's more stable.

Wide Wood blocks would be better than cement, but my wood is only 6x6 , it wants to roll too much when I go high, my cement is wider. Could use railroad ties, but don't have any.

Cement is a brittle material so if you use it, slowly lower weight onto them, don't trust them to stop a falling vehical.

The car is a 1991 Chev Caprice ~4000+pounds, it's front heavy , engine in front., I don't know what a forklift weights.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

(when I say 2 cement blocks I mean long side laying down, so each block is only ~8 inch high)

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

The rolling seem to not just be caused by gravity pulling the vehical downhill. Even on level pavement, When only one end of vehical is jacked up and lowered on a block, the frame hits on only one edge of block and vehical always seem to want to roll till frame sits flat on block. But then block rolls and one edge is off ground, just doesn't look safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13:02 PM
Registered-II

I agree with all of the posts that say avoid cement blocks. When I owned a lumbryard in Michigan, I had to have our C-60 Hyster off the ground on several occasions.Always use wood blocking and keep machine very close to level. It is helpful to have a winch or chain fall to pull the machine rearward onto slight ramp bocking under wheels to give you clearance for 20 ton bottle jack. The rest is just slow andeasy does it till blocked to proper height. Good luck.
JG
The Following User Says Thank You to jgreen416 For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,905 Times in 1,733 Posts

jacking up a forklift - Google Search
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...I7TSNP_enUS483

Gary K
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary K For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29:44 PM
Registered-II

I work on forklifts all day. To go under one for a job like this we use hardwood ramps that gets the front about 8 inches off the ground plus whatever the original clearance would be. Any type of solid wood will work. Remember to chalk atleast one wheel and remove the key while you are under it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian made For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25:42 PM
Registered-III

Once had to change exhaust on a car away from home. Next door was a dumpster with tons of new scrap 2x12 wood . I made a ramp, I laid the peices down to form a strip , then next strip a little shorter , and so on.

Don't go too high, or it gets unstable/tippy. Before you get under it , give forklift a good shove and shake, to make sure it's not shakey/flimsy. Better it falls off ramp/blocks then, instead of later with you under it.

Just curious , what do these things weigh?

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Forgot to say......... When I was away from home , I once changed my oil by driving front wheels up onto curb. And laid on cardboard (thiner than a creeper)
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49:21 AM
Subscriber

Finally got rid of the old Clark huh? Really thought you might plant it over in Ruth, NV next to the old blade in the park!

How big a fork we talkin' here? Weight on these is insane. My 6,000lb hyster weighs between 9 and 10,000 lbs. Also have a 5k TCM, weighs right at 8,000lb. Removing the counter weight will lighten the load, but sure is a full load by itself, and is unlikely to give you access to the starter. A running engine will allow you to use the mast tilt and progressive blocking to get it in the air. Can you bump start it?

What make and model is the newer machine?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,344 Times in 562 Posts

Good point Otto & others about not using concrete blocks PERIOD ! I will use them around here some times ... just under a car wheel or small tractor ... but not a good idea under something as heavy as a forktruck. I merely was stating that IF/WHEN using a concrete block ... ALWAYS use it "eye up".

dalmatiangirl ... you said you have a loader ... is is big enough to tip the rear of the forktruck far enough to stand it on it's nose like someone else here has suggested ?
Just throwing out ideas ....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn Ayers For This Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,024 Posts

Can ye put the machine in gear and pull start it and then drive it up on something wood to get it up a bit higher?
I wouldnt want to get under a forklift with anything under it but STEEL or wood.
I beams would work.Something STRONG.
A starter aint worth kicking the bucket over.
A friend of mine when he was young had a 39 Ford chained to a tree limb changing out the rear axle and the limb broke.He has had artifical legs for 60 years or so.Lucky to live thru it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46:32 PM
Registered-III

Well at those weights I would say NO to hollow cement blocks.
I get just a little nervous on my ~4000 # car even with 3 eye blocks, but I give it a good shake and felt comfortable with the result.

I figured a 16 foot tall cement wall would be 20 blocks at ~50# each , so bottom block would have 1000lbs on it plus maybe anothe 700 # of snow load (load bearing wall) for total of ~1700lbs. Which would be ~ in line with weight on each side of front of my car.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

(I assumed you had a little lift, that was lighter than a car. )