Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Jacking up a Forklift?

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 12498 times

Old 02-01-2013, 02:53:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default Re: Jacking up a Forklift?

If the brushes are worn, you can try whacking the starter. May be able to get a few starts that way. Get it off slope onto something level and real solid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,399 Posts

I can't believe I forgot to suggest that....

Even if you can't get at it to whack it with a hammer, if you can get good solid broom handle or a small steel bar fed down to it, being careful where you hit it and how hard, it should get it going at least one more time. Sometimes it helps to be holding the key in the start position While hitting the starter though if the springs aren't too weak or the brushes burnt too bad you might be able to jar it loose with a single 'whack' and then hit the key. If the brushes are badly burnt, you can beat the hell out of it and still not work.

If you can't get it started that way, at least try to drag it to a level spot to work on it.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,643 Times in 1,447 Posts

I bought a 5 Ton H-F forklift jack years ago for mine. I've used it a few times with only 2 x 4's, 4 x 4's and 6 x 6's used to support it on both sides when lifted to height for tire and brake work. Never use cement/cinder blocks or those pressed steel auto ramps. Those things can suddenly "FAIL" and put a hurting on you, if your lucky. Worse things can happen if not so lucky, especially if no one is around to help, or dial 911 .
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,880 Posts

Giving it a wack works for ~2 weeks on a chev , then it's dead. When we take them apart its usually the brushes worn 1/2 way thru the mounting screw. Sometimes also support bushings worn so rotor drags on stator , than's only ~.010 away.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,209 Times in 456 Posts

All the jobs I worked on
any load bearing block wall was poured solid
with grout and rebar installed.
I'd find a place to buy used 12X12's,
then sell them back.
tap
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,530 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll have to watch for some big iron at the scrap yard next week, they will let me borrow stuff like that. The new lift is a 6000 Lb capacity Daewoo, propane so no more burning eyes inside the warehouse(you probably could have re-lit exhaust on the Clark), it has lights, brakes, and side shift(although I would have preferred power forks), and a back-up alarm(which I promptly disabled). Followed that google link to "jacking up a forklift" and found that tires on blocks is not recommended, and blocking the counterweight is not recommended either, yet considering where I need to get to on this lift those are my only 2 options for the rear end, I guess I'll just have to do both. Going in from above would require removing intake and exhaust manifolds, and at this point I do not even know what engine it is. Weight on this machine is 10,000 and change, it would squish a human head without trying. Pic 1 and 2 the machine, where its been parked since October (it died days before I left for Nevada). Pick 3 shows manifolds in the way. Pic 4, well the starter is somewhere way down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daewoo 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	156762   Click image for larger version

Name:	daewoo 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	156763   Click image for larger version

Name:	daewoo 3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	156764   Click image for larger version

Name:	daewoo 4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	156765  

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51:13 PM
Subscriber

One of the local scrapyards called me last year, they wanted me to sell a couple of skidsteer loaders and this forklift, I was halfway thru writing the ad on this machine when it occurred to me that maybe I could use it. Its not quite the machine the Clark was, but then when was the last time I needed to pick up 8000 Lbs inside the warehouse? Lift height was only 14ft, but the Clark had not gone to full extension since I moved to a warehouse with 14ft eve height either. So I sold the skidsteers and used my commission for the down-payment. Advertised the Clark at scrap value ($1000) hoping someone would keep it going, lots of people looked at her, but with no brakes, no power steering, a growling hydraulic pump, and the 3 handed monkey maneuvering required to start it, well nobody bit. A couple of the scrap haulers made offers, but I already had a solid offer from the yard and they would pick it up when they dropped off the Daewoo. I hated to do it, but after 60 days it was clear the Clarks only value was as scrap, and I needed to finalize the deal. So after 23 years of usage I drove the Clark out of the warehouse one last time, only had to re-start it 5 times to get it up by the road, then I pulled the gauge panel and added it to the decoration on my tool box, the most amazing thing is after all the years it was parked outdoors no one ever smashed her gauges. Visiting the scrap yard for the next 2 weeks was tough, oh the horrible things they did to my machine, yeah, stupid as it may seem I cried about it, heck I'm crying now just writing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clark 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	156767   Click image for larger version

Name:	clark 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	156768  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07:06 AM
Subscriber

with ya girl
it's sort of like thinking about scrapping the ford wrench my dad had.
Couldn't do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tapkoote For This Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31:52 PM
Registered-III

10,000 pounds .....WOW not what I expected by looking at it, but I have no experience on lifts, just cars and small trucks.

Counter weight bolts probably only hold it's weight, likely not big enough to hold weight of whole vehical. On cars/trucks I like to suport the frame itself, not sure if you can get at it from picture. I suppose you could look for manual on web , it must have some factory recomended lifing points.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18:17 PM
Subscriber

I tried an Internet search and couldn't find anything in the first few pages, but I did come up with a website you might want to check out and ask your question there.

http://www.forkliftanswers.com/

I typed in a quick search on that site myself, and there currently aren't any answers on changing a Daewoo starter under the search function, but when that page came up it did have another box for typing in and submitting your question.

I didn't go so far as to actually ask the question How to replace starter on a Daewoo, because I didn't know what model you had or any other specifics on it, but it looks like a good place to check out for that and any other future problems when you have the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,288 Posts

Would it be possiable to dig a trench and pull the machine over the trench?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Would it be possiable to dig a trench and pull the machine over the trench?
Hey, yeah - then you are already in the ground when the trench collapses. The fork lift will even compact it, and you might never be found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24:44 AM
Subscriber

The counterweights are quite often hung from a set of hooks that stick out from the rear of the frame. Bolts are just there to keep them from falling off. Loader for lift is a good option, stay away from masonary blocks tho, they will explode in spectacular fashion, with no warning. Floor jack is useless and bottle jacks are too tall. If you cannot start it and use the tilt to raise the machine, you need a pancake cylinder and a porta-power, or overhead lift (like a loader).

Really like the dead horse by the way
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 02-03-2013, 12:43:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,755 Posts

Hey, Girl!

I've got a suggestion of a way that might work. It all depends on if you've got a buddy, a long enough stiff pry bar and a lot of wood or steel blocks for cribbing as you raise the machine.

With the machine on a hard, level surface and well chocked, start off with one block located at the middle (side-to-side balance point) of the end you want to raise. Setting the block close to the raising point, use it as a fulcrum for the long bar. Pull down on the bar to raise the machine enough to get blocks under each side.

Now add a block to the fulcrum and add more blocks to the sides. Repeat the operation. After several lifts, you will have the required altitude.

Be VERY careful to not get any part of your valuable self between the machine and the floor in case something slips.

Before putting self under machine, double block at the holding points.

Reverse the operation to lower.

I've done this before on really heavy stuff and, if you have a solid floor and the bar is long and stiff enough, you can lift just about anything.

There's another method using two blocks each slightly on either side of the balance point. Starting with the machine lifted an inch or so at the balance point, if your helper pulls down on one side of the machine, tipping it, a thin block can be slipped on top of the one on the side that's higher. Tipping it to the other side will then give room to put a thin block under the other side. Etc, etc. In order to hot have the whole thing topple over if something gets askew, keep adding blocks to what will be the holding points. Add just enough to allow the machine to be tipped one way and the other just enough to add blocks close to the balance point. If the jacking blocks topple, the machine will only fall a short distance and will be held until the jack blocking can be re-done.

Just BE CAREFUL!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54:43 PM
Registered-III

I was thinking about a trench but you would have to use cement and maybe rebar to make some thick sturdy walls that don't cave in, ( cement needs to cure for 30 days min). Suspected you didn't want to do all that work. I wouldn't make the trench too deep either, increases chance of cavein.

Jiffy lube does something similar , they have a trench inside garage that you can stand up in, but it must have thick rebared walls for safty.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:23:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for all the ideas, still have not figured out exactly how we will do this. Googled "forklift jack" last night, seems they do make such a thing, and forklift jack stands, just seems like a lot of money to spend for a job I hope to only do once, wonder if I can borrow or rent some. I'm thinking most likely we'll try lift with the loader first, if that does not work I've got the prybars to do it.

Thanks Otto, I'll get data plate info and post on that site, maybe there is an easier way, and hopefully someone can ID the engine too since I cannot find anything on it.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:00:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,394 Times in 947 Posts

Can you dig a little ditch just deep enough to crawl under? Bob
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25:36 PM
Subscriber

Another option would be to ask one of the local factories who does the service work on their fork lifts and then give that outfit a phone call and ask for ideas and/or a quote to have them do it.

I used to run in to the service guy that took care of ours at work years ago, and occasionally still see him at one of the spring consignment sales. Some of them are willing to talk and help you out, and others act like it's a 'trade secret' that they refuse to share. Same with any business. But you might get lucky and find out with a simple phone call that there's a quick and easy way to get at it.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00:27 PM
Subscriber

" Some of them are willing to talk and help you out, and others act like it's a 'trade secret' that they refuse to share. Same with any business."
With that in mind, over the years, I've found looking for the older guys that have been around a while, are some what more forgiving.
Their equipment is paid off/kids out of the house, ect.ect.
One time I went to a shop to rebuild the frond axels on a twin I beam Ford van. He replaced the shocks and got a good I beam W/ king pin bushings from the junk yard.
$600
A few years later came back with a simular van, young guys had bought him out, estimate $1900 to start.
Phooey!! on a $500 van????
drove it and sold it
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16:10 PM
Subscriber

Any Luck Yet with it ????