Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Jacking up a Forklift?

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 10548 times

Old 02-11-2013, 03:36:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,357 Posts
Default Re: Jacking up a Forklift?

Not yet! I did pick up one big chunk of I-beam last week, still looking for another, I'll make sure to get some pics of how its done, or make sure my friends post some gory pics of how it all went wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,588 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Not yet! I did pick up one big chunk of I-beam last week, still looking for another, I'll make sure to get some pics of how its done, or make sure my friends post some gory pics of how it all went wrong
Remember, Gal: There are old mechanics and there are bold mechanics but there are very few old bold mechanics!!!!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54:25 PM
Registered-III

The long gradual inclined ramp idea has worth, IMO.
Then tow it up the ramp.
I suppose steel ibeam could be put together, but I think wide pine boards will work if supported with solid wood and strongly secured to each other.

Setup a board on top of many boards with staggered ends to form the ramp. And make sure the ground is hard stable surface.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,831 Times in 3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Not yet! I did pick up one big chunk of I-beam last week, still looking for another,....
I still have about a dozen or so 12 inch by 15 foot I-beams left I was going to build a bridge crane with, but you probably wouldn't want to drive all the way up here to get one.

I've sold a few of them off of the pile I had bought several years ago, but still have enough left to build a couple heavy Gantry Cranes, a smaller bridge crane (for in the garage), and cement a couple in the floor in the door opening for anchor points if I ever need to straighten a frame or something, and should still have a couple/few spares.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,362 Times in 3,239 Posts

What's the height , width and length of the I-beam you have?
Do you intend to drive the lift over it?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09:37 PM
Subscriber

Took a look at the lift again this morning, hmm maybe I don't need another I-beam, I really need to pick the rear end up once and see whats under there to work with ie where to support it. The beam I have is about 12" high maybe 8" wide, heavy web, about 4' long, weighs 200 lb. That beam would work great placed right behind the front wheels, but the rear of the machine is nothing but counterweight, and the area right in front of back wheels is where I need to get to. So I'm thinking maybe block it between the rear wheels (assuming there is something solid there) then blocks under the rear wheels too. Thinking loader can only pick up one end of the machine at a time, so that might make it a little tricky. I need to get a semi truck wrecker out here soon to move a semi trailer, so maybe have them lift the rear and loader lift front is the answer.

And I have considered the ramps, the problem with that idea is that I would have to crawl under from the rear, I'm already not happy about sticking my head under the machine, getting most of my torso crushed too would not help, but I guess it does not really matter either way:-)

Last edited by dalmatiangirl61; 02-11-2013 at 10:21:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13:33 PM
Subscriber

Have you tried sticking a bar of some kind down in it an rapping on the starter to jar the brushes and see if you can get it going one more time to drive it to a more work friendly area, or is it hidden so bad that you can't see it at all from the top side ?

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

And any luck yet finding out more information on it ?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15:59 AM
Registered-III

Wheel blocks should be spiked into the ground so they cant shift.
Does it have working parking brakes?

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Quote:
And I have considered the ramps, the problem with that idea is that I would have to crawl under from the rear, I'm already not happy about sticking my head under the machine, getting most of my torso crushed too would not help, but I guess it does not really matter either way:-)
I would design the ramps in a u type shape so the highest ramped area joins both side ramps together. I was thinking you could get it a good 18 to 24 inches high and then crawl under from the front side of the machine. The machine would have to be secured perhaps spiked blocks and chains making certain not to roll back down. You would know immediately if the ramps was going to work or not as the machine was loaded on. However you made a ramp, it likely needs to also be spiked to earth. Making a really strong ramp, makes me wonder if the cost would be excessive for the job value. Perhaps then tipping over is better.

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Another possibility is pour a C shaped concrete pad.
Dig out from the inner C to for a depression are to work under the machine. Shore up the sides with blocks and poured concrete.

then just roll the machine over the top.

Again the cost of the construction.
Is it possible to jack one side up and tip it over slightly to work on it? If the machine were tipped over, can the mechanical parts handle the extra stresses?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28:15 AM
Banner Sponsor

My 2 cents worth just because you can maybe do it yourself does not mean you should!!! call a repair man let him do his job you do yours and save your head from getting crushed........ Just my thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58:43 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,761 Times in 580 Posts

It sure is interesting to read everyone's different idea's. I would just use my big forklift to pick up the mast end and let it rest on the counterwieght. If my big forklift didn't want to start then I would get my neighbor's huge wheel loader. If that couldn't happen I would call a friend in the wrecker biz and he would probably lift it for about $50

Another somewhat easy way to it would be to pull it up on a heavy duty trailer with some of the decking in the center removed. Then it could be worked on safely from the underside.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59:18 PM
Registered-III

Here's a rather odd idea that might work. Maybe a chain and come-along to a BIG tree to tip it over sideways, then put blocking under it. Release the tension in chain, and shake the vehical to see if it wants to fall off,before you get under it. Chalk the wheel so it can't roll.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Maybe a chain(s) in the other direction too so it can't fall over all the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56:32 PM
Subscriber

I kind of like Johns idea of using a heavy trailer with a few deck boards removed to reach up through. I had an open center skid loader trailer at one time that would have worked good for that. Would be about as safe as having an actual pit to work in other than you would still be laying on your back and reaching a lot higher, or maybe setting up working instead of being able to stand up like you could in a pit.

No chance of it falling on you unless the trailer is too light weight and the whole thing collapses.

But.... If you don't have a trailer you can get it up on, then you still have to get creative. And Stay Safe.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13:59 AM
Subscriber

Not owning flunkies anymore ain't helping, passed the shop today at about 4pm and saw one of the college kids was there, I had to pickup parts and drop a package off at Fedex, but figured I could make it back in time to have him give me 5 minutes help to just pickup rear of forklift for a quick look. Returned 45 minutes later and he was gone. Friend that rents shop from me was supposed to be here all day Monday, she woke up sick that day. So my next best guess on help is Friday. So far nothing has been done other than the suggestions here, and me getting big chunk of I beam, loader leaks down too fast for me to pick it up and jump down for a look. Whole point of getting this lift was so I could give the loader a break and fix it
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38:04 PM
Subscriber

Always nice to have friends you canT count on.

Especially after years of helping them at the drop of a hat every time they needed something, and then they can't take even 5 minutes out of their busy life to help you when you need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57:46 PM
Subscriber

Well to put an end to this thread the forklift is FIXED, and it was done without crawling under it. We picked rear of the machine up with the loader and threw a heavy steel plate down, then an old car wheel, this gave about 6" clearance from the ground. Then I disconnected the wires from the solenoid on the firewall, and removed cable clamp holding positive battery cable going to the starter. Then broke both starter bolts loose with a wrench, then used a ratchet to remove them, 1 click at a time, somewhere in there I started bleeding from the cotter pin digging its way into my arm. Had a friend lay on the ground and reach under the machine to hold starter while I pulled the second bolt, then had him just let it down slowly, battery cable held it about an inch from the ground. Working through that 6" gap I was able to disconnect all the wires, then swap starters and reconnect wires. Then friend lifted starter, while looking in from above I directed where he needed to go with it until it was in place, then find first bolt hole, then second, and voila it was back in place. On just about any other machine this would have been a simple 15 minute job, but the one hole where I could see the bolts was also the only place my arm would fit, and the person reaching up from below could not see anything except the side of the machine. So the little Daewoo is running again, god its nice to have a forklift with power steering, working brakes, lights and side shift
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,155 Times in 439 Posts

Good for you lady!
Sounds like a real bugger.
The Following User Says Thank You to tapkoote For This Post:
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43:31 AM
Subscriber

Glad to hear you found one of those elusive friends to help you and got it fixed.

I thought about reviving this thread again last week to ask about it, but then I kind of got sidetracked for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36:43 PM
Registered-III

Was wondering how you made out. From reading your posts I knew you had what it takes to get it running. Good job!!
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52:03 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
I thought about reviving this thread again last week to ask about it
Thanks for not doing that, it was starting to be a sore subject with me, and the forklift mocking me every time I pulled in the driveway was not helping.

I'm hoping I do not need to do that job again soon, but I'm not holding my breath either. I never did figure out what engine is in that machine, and only 1 ebay seller listed a starter to fit that forklift model#. When it arrived I took it out of the box and quality looked good, then I rolled it over and saw the "Made in China" label, I was real tempted to return it, but the machine was made in South Korea, so maybe thats what it came with. Plan to have the original starter rebuilt and keep it as a spare, just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25:59 AM
Registered-III

Okay, so I know the thread is old, but it's not dead yet, so I'm not necroposting... I just see something that I find interesting.

This Daewoo is a newer lift... by that, I mean that the engineering of three dozen years of forklift manufacture and service preceeded it, and the builders probably learned some pretty good lessons about stuff.

Typically, the counterweight comes off pretty easily. On this one, looks like there might be need to remove the cage... at least, unbolt the back legs, and swing it forward.

From there, approach it from the rear with something that'll lift the counterweight. There's lifting points in it SOMEWHERE... could be just part of the casting, could be lifting holes. Whatever you lift it off with, could be an overhead gantry, or three-point on a good sized tractor, should just be a matter of unbolting a couple of bolts, and lifting the counterweight off it's hangers... then pull forward. You'll probably find that once the CW is off, there's lots more space to access the power unit.

As for jacking it up- look up on each side of the mast- there's heavy steel tabs with square holes. I'd be willing to bet that those tabs are dual-function- first, is to tie the machine down for transport, and also, to fit a frame through for jacking the wheels off the ground. Remember- the heavy end of the forklift is the COUNTERWEIGHT. The mast isn't light, but the lifting reaction of the machine means the far end needs to be heavy.

For service to the drive wheel end, one can usually leave the counterweight on, tilt the mast full back, remove the trunion bolts that hold mast in place, place a hardwood block under the mast, then tilt mast forward onto block to lift mast off the trunions. Secure the top of the mast (against a building, etc), then disconnect hydraulics from mast, disconnect tilt cylinders, and back away. After that, it's a good idea to remove the counterweight, because the drive axles will be pretty light.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post: