Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Clark Ross forklift

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 4503 times

Old 12-12-2013, 12:36:45 PM
Sponsor

Default Clark Ross forklift

I am in dire need of a set of brake shoes for a ClarK-Ross 10 ton Yard lift. The shoes were missing on one side when we took it apart. The dia is 15in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lukes camera pics 716.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	181822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lukes camera pics 715.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	181823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lukes camera pics 717.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	181824  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Clark Ross forklift

Hi, I think your best bet would be to try and match them up from a vehicle of the same era. Clark bought out Ross in 1953 and very few Clark dealerships today even know what a Ross was to say nothing about anyone having any experience, parts or service wise. That said most of the yard type lifts of the day used a vehicle (truck) differential rather than a purpose built one like later machines. I think that International and maybe Ford used this same brake type in their lighter trucks, say ton and a half or two ton models. If you can maybe go on Redpower and post the pictures and see if anyone recognizes them or take them to Napa and go through an older picture book. The last Ross that I worked on was 20 years ago and I just needed some generic parts so it was fairly straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ross brake.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	181836  
The Following User Says Thank You to BGunn For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19:11 PM
Registered-I

Also try the Ross forklift group on yahoo.
Not much traffic, but there is some detailed knowledge in that group.
Marshall
The Following User Says Thank You to Marshall Henderson For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:07:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,212 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&WJOE View Post
I am in dire need of a set of brake shoes for a ClarK-Ross 10 ton Yard lift. The shoes were missing on one side when we took it apart. The dia is 15in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks joe
You mean you have a forklift with brakes? (even on one wheel) Wow! The first two forklifts I had didn't have brakes. To brake going forward I threw it in reverse, to brake going backward was first gear. I finally broke down and got a forklift with brakes, lights, etc. I like it a lot better!
The Following User Says Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcjudge View Post
You mean you have a forklift with brakes? (even on one wheel) Wow! The first two forklifts I had didn't have brakes. To brake going forward I threw it in reverse, to brake going backward was first gear. I finally broke down and got a forklift with brakes, lights, etc. I like it a lot better!
Yep! Been there, done that. My "new" forklift even has that new fangled power steering, man it's nice
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34:12 PM
Subscriber

It seems to me finding any type auto / machinery parts at auto stores, without a vehicle or proper parts number is a thing of the past. I would think somewhere somehow this part is available new. Finding the source of supply will be difficult.
However you might find a used machine being parted out, at heavy equipment dismantlers (aka) heavy equipment salvage dealers. These companies are located all over the country & numerous listings on Google. You may find one that specializes in forklifts. You might make this part of your hunt. If you find a complete used set-up you can have the shoe relined at an auto parts supplier. ????
Shane.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneZahn For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 07:54:19 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneZahn View Post
It seems to me finding any type auto / machinery parts at auto stores, without a vehicle or proper parts number is a thing of the passed.
There are still a few good ones out there that will try to help, and have people with resources unknown to us the customers. I know and deal with a couple that have the ability to find parts that i thought were long obsolete.
The Following User Says Thank You to BGunn For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGunn View Post
There are still a few good ones out there that will try to help,
I agree & as stated. "Finding the source of supply will be difficult." . It seems to me that if you do not have a computer number for your part, you'll go from store to store looking for help.
Years ago the sales clerks would go into mountains of catalogs looking for your parts.
This Clark Ross is most likely twice as old as most parts store clerks. Most of these clerks will look at you and ask. What is it?.
Shane
Old 12-12-2013, 10:02:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,384 Times in 847 Posts

The Ross lifts we had here, were old aircraft lifts which drove over a part and picked it up, under neath it and carried it. The old saw mill here, used them for a long time, carrying bunks of lumber. I didn't, but, back in the 60's they'd run down the street working. Sawmill on both sides of the street, and the boys who had paper routes, on Harley 125's, 165's and Super 10's would catch them, empty, on the street and drive under and thru them, as they traveled, empty. Someone would have a fit today if that happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 11:37:18 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Clark Ross forklift

I was hopeing someone would have a pile of junk lying in a corner with a couple of these shoes in it. It used to be a common brake shoe on the bigger stuff of the 50`s. I don`t have a problem running equipment without brakes, but the younger ones have real problems. I have owned this lift since the middle 80`s and have had no problem without brakes. This forklift is the workhorse in my town. I can`t do everything for everyone anymore, so I let the younger guys use my stuff. I have always been the go to guy when no one else could figure out how to get something done. I really need to fix this old lift before there is a lawsuit.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57:09 AM
Subscriber

Do you have any date of manufacture of your lift. or have you ever looked for any I. D. tags on the firewall or perhaps on the differential housing. That might date the machine or the rear end used as drive axle, with these brakes are in.
Another idea would be to change the entire back plate and brake system to something more conventional, & do both wheels at the same time.
If I had more information like BGunn, supplied, like age, wheel diameter, width of shoe, & stupid stuff like that. I'd be temped to ask around my towns local auto supply & truck repair shops.
These were fairly popular machines in places that moved a lot of fright like the military, shipping docks, riggers, etc. Shane
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
I was hopeing someone would have a pile of junk lying in a corner with a couple of these shoes in it. It used to be a common brake shoe on the bigger stuff of the 50`s. I don`t have a problem running equipment without brakes, but the younger ones have real problems. I have owned this lift since the middle 80`s and have had no problem without brakes. This forklift is the workhorse in my town. I can`t do everything for everyone anymore, so I let the younger guys use my stuff. I have always been the go to guy when no one else could figure out how to get something done. I really need to fix this old lift before there is a lawsuit.
I ran my old lift without brakes for many years too, but the young kids just could not get the hang of it, one of them almost ran thru the warehouse wall one day. The local NAPA store (in Tx) has been pretty good about matching up old parts, its worth a try. Worst case scenario just fix the one side so its got some brakes
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 12-13-2013, 09:37:33 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Joe

Contact Ott's Friction, 201 N. Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97217
(503) 283-4165

www.ottsfrictionsupply.com/

They have come up with some imposable to find stuff for us.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 06:46:18 AM
Registered-II

I dont see many yards keeping old lifts for parts anymore. $450 a tn for unprepared short time ago emptied even the rural yards.most hilow dealers consider pre 2000 as antique. All types of equipment seems to be heading that way.who knows,you might start seeing pre tier 4 showing up at antique eng shows mike a
Old 01-09-2017, 02:54:14 PM
Registered-III

Not everyone was getting that for scrap. however lots was scrapped. It is all a cost per square foot thing. If you keep a 10 cent part in inventory long enough, it costs you more then that 10 cents to have kept it.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:53:00 PM
Registered-II

Acuna well said"a lot was scrapped" not everybody was getting $450.per but be assured the frequent player was. With the big winch trucks ,they scoured the yards making room. On long island ,there were no more cheap hilows loaders dozesrs that ran but had no bottom left.trying to sell on craigslist was agame of guess my weight with the well equipped low baller on his smart phone telling you to the# how much it weighs and how much he will give you. Mike a