Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

WMO and spark ignition

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1626 times

Old 01-04-2015, 10:41:33 PM
Registered

Default WMO and spark ignition

I know that people have run diesels on a variety of different oils for fuel and that many of the older tractors and stationary spark ignition engines were often run on kerosene. Is it possible to run a spark ignition engine on waste motor oil? If so what obstacles must be overcome to do it? Have any of you actually done it? I'm not planning on dumping my next oil change into the gas tank, this is more to satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks,
Zoom
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2015, 10:43:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,280 Posts
Exclamation Re: WMO and spark ignition

Not practical to do with a spark engine - the smoke would kill you and the EPA would not be happy either. Waste oil can be burned in a diesel, if cut with diesel or kero by 50 or 60% BUT - it has to be acid neutralized and filtered to remove particulate contamination. Used oil has minute carbon and metal contamination that will ruin injectors and coke up the combustion chamber. It is also too thick to run thru a regular injecter, thus the cutting with thinner kero or diesel fuels.

A friend used to dump his used auto oil in his heating fuel tank. Seemed to work OK, but he plugged up the filter about every 3 months or so, and would have to have the furnace nozzle replaced every 6 months or so. There are several companies that make oil burner replacements that burn waste oil exclusively. A friend who had a truck repair shop uses one, and does not pay a dime to fuel it! It heats his 6 bay shop very well indeed (forced air heater), and is clean burning. It burns old motor oil, diesel, and auto trans fluid.
Andrew
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16:24 AM
Registered

Default Re: WMO and spark ignition

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply, I realize the problems with viscosity and contaminants. I would think in order to do it the oil would have to be heated to the point it vaporized and as you say the smoke would be a bit much to say the least.
Zoom
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,858 Times in 3,322 Posts

Don't know about running straight oil, but I used to use old waste oil from my cars & trucks for the 2 cycle mix in my snowblower for 10-12 years. Never had a problem with it running and eventually wore out the paddles on the blower. Finally lost spark and tossed it in the shed as a future project I'll probably never get to.

Then too, I had a 1 1/2hp John Deere http://youtu.be/ZUWEXXaJQ0g that was way over filled with oil by the previous owner and instead of draining it down I just ran it until it quit smoking, burning off at least a 1/2 quart of oil to 1/2 a pop can of gas and other than smoking like hell and blowing oil out the exhaust it never missed a beat other than when it was supposed to miss. That was at least a 2 to 1 ratio of oil to gas running on a magneto that only put out 5 volts.

I've also run my lawn mower on kerosene and paint thinner just because I could..... though it did lose some power and rattle pretty bad when it bogged down in longer grass. Ran great mowing the rest of the yard, just had to take it slow through a couple thicker spots where the grass grew faster.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:09:31 AM
Registered

3 raps of fuel line around exhaust, mix 50/50 gasoline wmo start on gas until hot & let R rip. works good in ihc 6hp M