Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Line Shaft Blacksmith Shop Video

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 7499 times

Old 02-11-2015, 06:05:46 PM
Registered-II

Default Line Shaft Blacksmith Shop Video

I just finished a little video of the shop. It shows two hammers in operation: a 100 pound Hackney and a 250 pound Murray, and it also shows both a shaper and a toggle press working hot metal. There are shots of the lathe and surface grinder too. And of course, I had to show the engine starting.

There are pictures of my work too. In them there are a couple tables with arches that were made on the shaper like is shown in the video. The upper frames of some of the tables have bars textured the way the press is doing in the video too.

I hope this is interesting. I'd be happy to answer any questions about what's in the video. It's just sort of meant to be an overview and is not intended to really go into depth on any processes. I plan to do that in the future, but this one's a start at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFBt...ature=youtu.be

Joel
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Line Shaft Blacksmith Shop Video

Joel, Not only a good artist but good on the piano as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobW For This Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07:03 PM
Registered-II

Oh my. Thanks, Rob. I keep hammering away at that thing driving my family crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14:34 PM
Subscriber

Wow, that is really impressive. I dream of having a small line shaft shop someday. I really have to give you a big thumbs up for keeping that vintage equipment and techniques alive and functional. Well done.

Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren Gunderson For This Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 12:25:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,371 Posts

Beautiful work, and a stunning shop! If I ever make it to Michigan expect a visit
Old 02-12-2015, 12:53:30 AM
Registered-III

So what is the difference between a hammer and a toggle press?

Other then the speed?

By the way your work is spectacular. I have never seen black Smithing work like that around here. It is all the typical pound on iron work. Yours is art like not seen in places like Timberline lodge. Even that art is not seen today from those that claim the name Black Smith.

You take the art to a different level. I am sure you could not do it with out the old machines and the spirit they hold.

And to think a guy that swings a hammer can tickle the ivories. Who would have thunk it possible?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:34:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,631 Times in 2,592 Posts

Joel:

Thank you for the video. You and your Wife are true artists in metal.

May you two live long and prosper.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28:12 AM
Registered-II

Thank you, everyone. I sincerely appreciate the compliments. To be honest, I don't know much about what's going on in the rest of today's blacksmithing world, because I don't get out much among other smiths. That sort of makes me a professional recluse, I suppose. Maybe that's foolish, but hey, there's only so much time in this life.

A toggle press, Akuna, is quite a bit different than a hammer. A hammer's ram is linked to the crank through some sort of spring, which is what gives a hammer its flexibility. Most mechanical hammers have a coil spring (though my Hackney has an air spring) which compresses as the hammer's speed increases, causing the ram (the hammer) to strike harder and lower the faster the machine is run. A press has a solid link, with no spring, so each stroke is exactly the same--the same force, depth and position each cycle. This allows the press to make repeated impressions with greater precision than can be done with a hammer. It cannot, however, make variable shapes like tapers or change with each stroke for hand held tooling.

My press, sometimes called a horn press, has very long ram guides, so it keeps the ram aligned precisely with the table, letting matching top and bottom dies be fitted directly to them. A more common press that came out later is called an Open Back Incline (OBI) press, also casually called a "punch press." Most of these have a looser ram guide, so they usually require a sub press arrangement for precise die alignment.

In the video, I am using the press to make a series of impressions in the bar. The upper die is essentially a fuller. By using a press for this, each impression is the same depth as the preceding one, so my bar stays the same thickness for the entire length. This particular operation can be done with a hammer if you set up a system of kiss blocks to control the depth, but I find I have better control doing it with the press.

Gee that was windy. Hope it helped.

Joel
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,856 Times in 3,321 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Line Shaft Blacksmith Shop Video

Great video !

Love the line-shaft powered surface grinder.

Never seen a shaper used for actually 'shaping' metal like that before either.

Pretty Cool !

And even though I see you're on Facebook, I shared it on there on my own page so my small handful of 'friends' can see it too.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:03:03 PM
Registered

Thank you for putting that where we can see it! That's a great looking shop, and amazing work! I'd like to be an engine wiper in a shop like yours, just to be able to spend the time there