Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 10

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 4576 times

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,299 Posts
Default Re: Windows 10

My turn to upgrade from 7 to 10.
All peripherals and devices that worked with 7 work with 10.
The only thing missing is hibernate. Looks like I will have to shut down each time I want to turn off power.
10 wanted me to get a new copy of Office - mine is 2003. I had to search for icons of what I use most - word, excel, PowerPoint and pin them to taskbar.
Office 2003 works fine with 10, as it did with 7.
No noticeable change in speed. 10 has a lot of bells and whistles unlikely I will use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 02:27:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,396 Times in 948 Posts

Craig did it automatically down load after you reserved it or did you have the choice to down load when you wanted? I heard that windows 10 no longer has the media player? Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,646 Posts

Rather than using CAD on another DOS computer you might try just loading it onto a separate hard drive and swapping hard drives. I was going to do this since my computer is always open anyways, but haven't since I haven't had to used CAD in a long time.

Same idea for rolling back from win 10 . Get a bigger hardrive and use hardrive's software to clone an identical copy of old harddrive . It suppose to copy OS and data. Then if you want to roll back just swap harddrive. I use Max blast ver 3 or 4 (Maxtor) with IDE harddrives and XP. But now I reinstall XP and apps form original disks and data from flashdrive.

If you got the disks not hard to reinstall XP from scratch, I do it once a year when computer gets sluggish. I zero and reformat harddrive first to wipe out any possible viruses. Have to have the drivers though, and all the app disks and data. Takes a day, mostly waiting.

USB BOOTING...... Staples told me you can't boot from USB or flashdrives or harddrives, they said they used the old harddrive FAT file format that DOS used. (File Allocation Table). I think I noticed flashdrive is FAT , I haven't looked at USB harddrive format. Thing is I noticed in CMOS hardware setup of my computers the option to boot from USB devices, but that may have been pre win-xp, before OS changed to NTFS from FAT.

Last edited by len k; 08-07-2015 at 03:08:38 PM. Reason: clarify grammer
Old 08-07-2015, 02:37:18 PM

Thanked 18,759 Times in 5,561 Posts

You will get a notification when you can do the download.
You can also choose to install it immediately or pick another time.
Media Player is still there although you may need to pick your default media player.
As far as I noticed everything that's in WIN 7 & 8 is in 10 but you may have to hunt for and create shortcuts to your favorite programs (now called APPS).
10 has THE best search function ever in the task bar.
It's a magnifying glass icon that is indispensable in 10.
So indispensable I didn't even bother finding some shortcuts because the search is so easy and fast.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43:37 PM
Subscriber

I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Everything went great with the upgrade and I wouldn't roll back. Great product.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:03:59 PM

^ No rolling back here either!
I made that decision after checking to see if 10 has the REFRESH feature which will set the computer back to 10 as originally installed.
Um......don't try fixing any potential problems with the REFRESH button.......you'll be ....... .......
Don't even need discs any more.......
Old 08-08-2015, 09:39:31 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
USB BOOTING...... Staples told me you can't boot from USB or flashdrives or harddrives, they said they used the old harddrive FAT file format that DOS used. (File Allocation Table). I think I noticed flashdrive is FAT , I haven't looked at USB harddrive format. Thing is I noticed in CMOS hardware setup of my computers the option to boot from USB devices, but that may have been pre win-xp, before OS changed to NTFS from FAT.
Pretty much every PC since ~2005 (some even earlier!) is capable of booting from a USB flashdrive or harddrive. They just need to be formatted in FAT32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Windows 98 worked like a champ and did all the things I needed to do without alot of hassle. I tried a 7 laptop and every time i try to minimize a window to do something else ,it does not go to the bottom of my screen. I cant find it and wind up with 8 or 9 windows open with the same page or whatever because I could not figure out how to get the 1 I just lowered to reappear.

Does this Windows 10 have a familiar look to it or is it yet another wild run into the woods like 7 and 8 was? Nothing like what folks are working with already?
Huh? Windows 7's basic UI design is the exact same as it has been since Windows 95. You have a taskbar with a start button, with your basic close/minimize/maximize buttons on the top right of a window. The only "Big" difference is that your taskbar window buttons turned from rectangles with the program name, to squares with the program's icon. It still functions the exact same way as Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP and Vista.
Quote:
The only reason these changes are "needed" is because it is job security to brainwash the public to think updates are needed.
With that line of thinking we'd still be going to the local Western Union to send telegrams if you wanted to message somebody.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lead Head For This Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18:01 PM
Registered-III

I have 3 windows 7 PC's here at the house. I might consider upgrading one of them.
We watch local TV and internet TV on a HTPC I built. Win10 will not have WMC, so that one will just have to remain as it is, running win7.

The download is massive, I would like to save it to install later on other PC's, is that possible?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:23:53 PM
Registered-III

Went back to 7. 10 has too many bugs - I feel like a beta tester. After a series of automatic updates, 10 was booting and shutting down a lot slower than 7. I have 2 identical machines side by side - one on 7, other was on 10, so easy for me to compare.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:30:47 PM
Registered-III

Well. yesterday was last day to get "free" upgrade to 10. were there any takers here?

We decided to upgrade my wife's old laptop to reserve a license. The way it works is when you get 10, it assigns a COA to that motherboard at Microsoft, and it is registered for life of motherboard. That way, we can go back to 7 and upgrade to 10 in the future.

10 is much improved from when I tried it a year ago.
Shutdowns are very fast, but as she found out, boot ups take forever - seems like 3 times longer than 7 boot up, but we did not time it.

Hibernate is no longer on the menu, only sleep, shutdown and restart are. Computer awakens from sleep instantly, but that uses power. Not so good on a laptop that is not always plugged in. You have to make some mods to partially restore hibernate.

She was very disappointed that the games are gone. Googled it - you can still play them by going to Microsoft site, but you get lots of ads, or you can pay a monthly fee! No more free solitaire, free cell, etc. -- Why give up a chance to make more money off users?

10 is designed to prevent the games that ran on 7 from working. I do not see a legal way around that.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:17:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,244 Times in 844 Posts

I have a couple of computer guru friends and another who's quite savy. Everyone was saying Not to do it Except one of my guru friends. The one who is closest for helping out lol. So I did for both mine and my wife's. Both are laptops.

And the motivating factor is just what you said. We can switch back for now and "upgrade" in the future. My machine had 7 on it and my wife's 8. I don't like 10 as well as 7 and I will likely switch back immediately. I saved an image of my drive to an external drive before the update. But I think I like 10 better than 8 which I have never liked.

Oh yeah- I lost the sleep function and I'm ticked! I used it exclusively. My battery is junk, so mine is always plugged in, and the power consumption while sleeping is trivial. Another reason I'll be switching back.

Keith
Old 07-30-2016, 08:20:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,187 Posts

I only possess one Windows 10 machine, a cheapo tablet / laptop convertable. I bought it mainly because it was cheap and my old laptop (XP) was showing its age. What I mainly use it for is transfering files between USB sticks and external USB drives as Android flat refuses to talk to an NTFS file system unless it has been rooted.
So about once a month I start up the windows machine then let it talk to my wifi for about an hour and a half while it downloads and installs "critical security updates" that have accumulated over the past month.
Only then do I set it to transfering files between sticks and external drives.
After using Android tablets for nearly everything for the past couple of years there is very little incentive to deal with Micro$haft. I don't run any virus protection yet I have never gotten an infection on an Android device. I've even visited many high risk type sites without problem. I still use windows for word processing (as there isn't a decent word processor for Android.) But everything I still use windows for could easily be replaced with a -free- linux system.
Doc
Old 07-30-2016, 11:51:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 10,324 Times in 1,724 Posts

I needed an extra notebook so I got a Dell Inspiron 15 off the Office Max shelf with a core 5 processor. It came with Windows 10 with no exceptions. Office Max sales droids indicated that Windows 7 was no longer available.

So, I took the long road of study through Google and finally tamed Windows 10. Took care of all the privacy and relay problems and ran a compatibility routine, after which, Office 2003, PhotoShop 5.5 and a good bunch of my software ALL worked fine. Apparently it can be done, but I'm still on Windows 7 with my desktop monster (dual E5506 processors, eight cores total.) The E5530 (Core 7) is also still on Windows 7. Over my computer lifetime, exactly how many copies of Word do I really need to purchase? E.T. Phone Home be damned!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:16:53 AM

I set up a cheap LENOVO (The former IBM consumer line) mini desktop for my Mom as IE 8 will not work with many sites any more and there are no other common browsers that will work with XP any more.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-i...&skuId=4778001
I bought the open box one and saved a few bucks more.......
At any rate I installed Office XP on it, along with the Office Compatibility Pack and it works perfectly.
The only things I've found that Windows 10 won't run are DOS based games which XP ran but not Windows 7.
I miss some of my old card games.......
I still use an OLD photo editing program I got from IBM after I bought my first computer, an IBM Aptiva running Windows 98, back in 1998.
I still have it and it still works too.......
Old 08-01-2016, 01:39:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,871 Times in 4,321 Posts

As long my computer works fine then i wil stay at 7.

I have my stomic full about 8. and let my computer convert back in to 7.

I do not need rare or hightech new things like the pokemon hunters.

I have flushed the upgrade 10 button away.

Last night have became an facebook member but not going to opload pictures or story’s there.
Only became an facebook member to watch my niece her new apartment buldings buld up.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:05:41 PM
Registered-II

I'm glad the free upgrades are finally over. Maybe now Microsoft will get rid of that malware they used to trick people into upgrading.

In my experience with Windows 10 doing IT work, it really is a nice operating system.

Unfortunately I still cannot recommend it because of the privacy problems. If it wasn't for that, it would be the best Windows since XP.

Hopefully we'll know in the next year or two if the courts are going to shut down that privacy problem or let it slide. I am avoiding widespread deployment until I hear what the verdict is.

In the meantime, Windows 7 for everyone until further notice. The only machines being switched over to 10 are those that have 8.1 on them, because Windows 8.1 has that terrible interface.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42:37 PM
Registered-I

I stopped using Microsoft products (except for a laptop on 7 - because of specific Windows-only software I sometimes have to run) years ago. Microsoft almost cost me my M.A. - Office kept reformatting my thesis and introducing widows and orphans. I couldn't get it to stop and also had problems with creeping DLL incompatibilities in the OS. That was on top of having an upgrade to Player that immediately informed me that I didn't have the rights to a video I'd taken while on vacation (of a bear walking through our campsite) - and deleted every copy off of my system. (They immediately sent out a patch that turned off Digital Rights Management in the player until it was fixed - but the video was GONE.) Anyway, I copied my thesis and files to backup, Trashed Windows and moved to Linux/Open Office and that instantly cured the main problem plus a whole lot of smaller ones. I got my thesis in, just in the nick of time - just before the deadline.

Another major complaint I always had regarding Microsoft was every time there was a new version of Windows, it always ate up much more resources and the older systems usually ran a lot slower, if they'd run at all. (Some of the Linux upgrades, on the other hand, ran FASTER, and it's possible to 'pare down' a new version to fit on a much older machine.)

In the last few years, however, Linux Ubuntu has started introducing major changes to look and feel, and getting things to work right (I run specialized software that most people don't use) was a headache. Now they've sent out notice of a new upgrade. I'm going to do a lot more homework this time before I allow the system to be upgraded!

My wife runs 7, and will continue to do so until the end of support - and we don't know what will happen after that, but hope that either a version of Linux would work for her or Microsoft would stop being so greedy and unresponsive. She cannot have ANY malware or spyware of any kind in her system because of her job and it's a bear to shut down the spying that is part of W10 core - plus we need the ability to do our own work on the system and that's getting harder and harder to do.

Moral of Story: do your homework before getting the latest and greatest. Find out what has been changed, what might be hidden in the fine print (or in the core of the software), and what problems might be associated with it.

I've always told people that if something does what you want and it's working well (and is reliable), then it's not obsolete and that they should think long and hard about spending lots of money on an upgrade which might only add some additional bells and whistles. (I've got a dos system out back that is all I need to run a CNC mill.) A major upgrade might turn out to NOT be reliable (or would really slow down the system). I think of it a bit like old machinery - some of the new stuff looks great and runs fast (and looks expensive), but isn't always that reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 02:44:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,268 Times in 797 Posts

I tried 10. 40 Bucks of data overage charges in the first week I used it Who Knows what would have happened if I would have kept it a whole month And I turned off all the Frilly Dilly things I could.

I wiped the hard drive and bought a 7 disc. I also have dual boot into a new drive with Linux.

Very happy with the results. What ticks me off is even with 7 you have get readers etc. to view MS word and PDF while Linux opens them right out of the box.

I have 8.1 on a small box to take with me and Microjunk keeps changing my home page and adding MSN. Among other PITA things
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,722 Posts

I'm still on a 11 year old HP box grinding away on XP. I'd like to get something newer and faster but all the horror stories of systems beyond 7 keep me at bay. I'm not savvy enough to build up a linux box but it does sound like the ticket for speed and reliability.

But I know what will happen, some day this machine will go poof and I'll rush into buying some pre packaged thing that has issues.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22:11 PM
Registered-III

Rolled wife's laptop back to 7 today. Every time she wanted to get onto internet after "sleep" or "hibernate" she would have to reboot! With 10 shutdown or sleep is very fast - takes seconds, but a reboot or start up after shutdown was taking over 5 minutes!

Rolled back to 7, no data loss, everything is like it was and works like before, wife is happy, which is very important.

I still have this 10+ year old tower running 10. So far only minor inconveniences.