Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 10

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 5877 times

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default Re: Windows 10

My turn to upgrade from 7 to 10.
All peripherals and devices that worked with 7 work with 10.
The only thing missing is hibernate. Looks like I will have to shut down each time I want to turn off power.
10 wanted me to get a new copy of Office - mine is 2003. I had to search for icons of what I use most - word, excel, PowerPoint and pin them to taskbar.
Office 2003 works fine with 10, as it did with 7.
No noticeable change in speed. 10 has a lot of bells and whistles unlikely I will use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 02:27:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,394 Times in 947 Posts

Craig did it automatically down load after you reserved it or did you have the choice to down load when you wanted? I heard that windows 10 no longer has the media player? Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,757 Times in 4,183 Posts

Rather than using CAD on another DOS computer you might try just loading it onto a separate hard drive and swapping hard drives. I was going to do this since my computer is always open anyways, but haven't since I haven't had to used CAD in a long time.

Same idea for rolling back from win 10 . Get a bigger hardrive and use hardrive's software to clone an identical copy of old harddrive . It suppose to copy OS and data. Then if you want to roll back just swap harddrive. I use Max blast ver 3 or 4 (Maxtor) with IDE harddrives and XP. But now I reinstall XP and apps form original disks and data from flashdrive.

If you got the disks not hard to reinstall XP from scratch, I do it once a year when computer gets sluggish. I zero and reformat harddrive first to wipe out any possible viruses. Have to have the drivers though, and all the app disks and data. Takes a day, mostly waiting.

USB BOOTING...... Staples told me you can't boot from USB or flashdrives or harddrives, they said they used the old harddrive FAT file format that DOS used. (File Allocation Table). I think I noticed flashdrive is FAT , I haven't looked at USB harddrive format. Thing is I noticed in CMOS hardware setup of my computers the option to boot from USB devices, but that may have been pre win-xp, before OS changed to NTFS from FAT.

Last edited by len k; 08-07-2015 at 03:08:38 PM. Reason: clarify grammer
Old 08-07-2015, 02:37:18 PM

Thanked 19,741 Times in 5,795 Posts

You will get a notification when you can do the download.
You can also choose to install it immediately or pick another time.
Media Player is still there although you may need to pick your default media player.
As far as I noticed everything that's in WIN 7 & 8 is in 10 but you may have to hunt for and create shortcuts to your favorite programs (now called APPS).
10 has THE best search function ever in the task bar.
It's a magnifying glass icon that is indispensable in 10.
So indispensable I didn't even bother finding some shortcuts because the search is so easy and fast.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43:37 PM
Subscriber

I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Everything went great with the upgrade and I wouldn't roll back. Great product.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:03:59 PM

Thanked 19,741 Times in 5,795 Posts

^ No rolling back here either!
I made that decision after checking to see if 10 has the REFRESH feature which will set the computer back to 10 as originally installed.
Um......don't try fixing any potential problems with the REFRESH button.......you'll be ....... .......
Don't even need discs any more.......
Old 08-08-2015, 09:39:31 AM
Lead Head

Quote:
USB BOOTING...... Staples told me you can't boot from USB or flashdrives or harddrives, they said they used the old harddrive FAT file format that DOS used. (File Allocation Table). I think I noticed flashdrive is FAT , I haven't looked at USB harddrive format. Thing is I noticed in CMOS hardware setup of my computers the option to boot from USB devices, but that may have been pre win-xp, before OS changed to NTFS from FAT.
Pretty much every PC since ~2005 (some even earlier!) is capable of booting from a USB flashdrive or harddrive. They just need to be formatted in FAT32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Windows 98 worked like a champ and did all the things I needed to do without alot of hassle. I tried a 7 laptop and every time i try to minimize a window to do something else ,it does not go to the bottom of my screen. I cant find it and wind up with 8 or 9 windows open with the same page or whatever because I could not figure out how to get the 1 I just lowered to reappear.

Does this Windows 10 have a familiar look to it or is it yet another wild run into the woods like 7 and 8 was? Nothing like what folks are working with already?
Huh? Windows 7's basic UI design is the exact same as it has been since Windows 95. You have a taskbar with a start button, with your basic close/minimize/maximize buttons on the top right of a window. The only "Big" difference is that your taskbar window buttons turned from rectangles with the program name, to squares with the program's icon. It still functions the exact same way as Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP and Vista.
Quote:
The only reason these changes are "needed" is because it is job security to brainwash the public to think updates are needed.
With that line of thinking we'd still be going to the local Western Union to send telegrams if you wanted to message somebody.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18:01 PM
Registered-III

I have 3 windows 7 PC's here at the house. I might consider upgrading one of them.
We watch local TV and internet TV on a HTPC I built. Win10 will not have WMC, so that one will just have to remain as it is, running win7.

The download is massive, I would like to save it to install later on other PC's, is that possible?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:23:53 PM
Registered-III

Went back to 7. 10 has too many bugs - I feel like a beta tester. After a series of automatic updates, 10 was booting and shutting down a lot slower than 7. I have 2 identical machines side by side - one on 7, other was on 10, so easy for me to compare.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:30:47 PM
Registered-III

Well. yesterday was last day to get "free" upgrade to 10. were there any takers here?

We decided to upgrade my wife's old laptop to reserve a license. The way it works is when you get 10, it assigns a COA to that motherboard at Microsoft, and it is registered for life of motherboard. That way, we can go back to 7 and upgrade to 10 in the future.

10 is much improved from when I tried it a year ago.
Shutdowns are very fast, but as she found out, boot ups take forever - seems like 3 times longer than 7 boot up, but we did not time it.

Hibernate is no longer on the menu, only sleep, shutdown and restart are. Computer awakens from sleep instantly, but that uses power. Not so good on a laptop that is not always plugged in. You have to make some mods to partially restore hibernate.

She was very disappointed that the games are gone. Googled it - you can still play them by going to Microsoft site, but you get lots of ads, or you can pay a monthly fee! No more free solitaire, free cell, etc. -- Why give up a chance to make more money off users?

10 is designed to prevent the games that ran on 7 from working. I do not see a legal way around that.