Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Koehring 304 with IH UD-16 engine

this thread has 56 replies and has been viewed 5319 times

Old 11-19-2015, 01:12:40 PM
Registered-III

Default Koehring 304 with IH UD-16 engine

I've been working on a 304 for the last few days...finally got it to run yesterday... It's been sitting for about 10 years, and sat quite a bit before that, but I don't think it'll take that much to make it operational again....

I put new plugs and wires on, and did a little "tune up" on the mag, and the old UD-16 International engine fired up on gas....

Then I switched it over to diesel, and it was a bit bashful about picking it up, but it kept going.....

Finally, all 6 started to hit.... sounds like I have a sticky valve, but that can get sorted out when I get it home......

All the frictions and brakes are pretty slick and bumpy from sitting, but we'll get that sorted out and get her on the lowboy and headed to my place soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Hanson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31:11 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Koehring 304 with IH UD-16 engine

Hi John,
good to see the old gal running again.See it has drag rope and fairlead fitted, do you intend to put it back to dragline work, or perhaps crane service?
Not many Koehrings here, but a few licensed copies by Newton Chambers (Britain) and Commonwealth Engineering (Australia). Haven't run one myself, mainly had Ruston Bucyrus (British) and Harman (Aust) machines and a Kockum (Sweden) here. Regards,
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 11:47:52 AM
Registered-III

My primary intent is to do some dragline work here, cleaning a creek out that runs through out hay meadows.
Before I get to that, I've got a bunch of brush piles from logging, that have a whole bunch of good firewood in them and I'm going to rig it with a log grapple first and tear them apart to salvage that wood. That will have it rigged mostly like a clam bucket, but instead of a spring wound tag line, it has a 3rd small winch, a "tagmaster" to provide the tag line for the log grapple, enabling you to bring the grapple closer, or cast it out from you, so that was a big attraction to me.
It's going to be fun...I never did get to run one long enough to get good at it, but I did get to where I could pick up a log and pretty much put it where I wanted it. haha
Old 11-21-2015, 11:43:02 AM
Registered-III

This machine has a "live" boom, so that means that it does not "power down"... it basically free falls, with just the brake to control it, then the brake and pawl to hold it. I was sweating lowering the boom the first time, as it's been so long since anything has been done, so yesterday, I moved it over by a slab pile (the "softest" thing around, and we hooked a D7 to the bridle to help hold it, in case the boom brake didn't do the job. I don't want to be building a new boom! It actually went pretty well...the boom brake held well from the word go. In the first video, you can see where I was beginning to lower it, and the cat winch got behind a bit, and it actually broke the hook pin (someone used a bolt for a pin ) and the boom jumped down a ways.....that got my eyes open for sure!
At any rate, a few cycles up and down and it was working fairly well...at least good enough to get it on a lowboy and home.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:07:36 AM
Registered-I

John

I also have a koehring 304,only mine has a Detroit 371 powerplant. i used it commercially alongside an LS 78 to dig farm ponds. loading trucks was one of my favorite things to do. climbing atop of a 30 foot pile and setting it back while digging out and under the pile was fun too because the throw back pile could be fifty feet tall and the base would be huge.
The Following User Says Thank You to MEPman For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48:21 AM
Registered-III

Well let's see some pictures!! I'm green as can be on this thing...just getting familiar with it while replacing frictions/bands and fixing what I can obviously see. I see that mine has the "power band" frictions on the drum. It's in basically good shape, just needs a bunch of TLC.
JH
Old 01-17-2016, 01:07:17 PM
Registered-II

John Hanson, you are lucky to have found a Koerhing. Those are really good machines, very well built and reliable. Don't know much about the UD series engines, but the few I have seen were pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 04:04:17 PM
Registered-I

I wish i had pictures of it working back when i ran it every day. mine has the booster clutch set up also but the drag clutch will still slip some in heavy digging. get some fullers earth and throw into the clutches when they are open and that will help seat the bands. I need to put a new drag cable on mine and fire it up to clean out some ponds this summer. the UD engine is a good engine but the weak spot is the injection pump has leather washers between the primary fuel pump and the injector pump and the oil gets diesel in it. look at your injection pump and see if it has an A cast into the side?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59:18 AM
Registered-III

I'll get out there today and look for the "A".
It is a pretty clean old machine....just sat for a lot of years, so it's pretty dirty inside. Somewhere along the way, they switched out the lower with the running gear from a Bucyrus Erie 25B, so it's got a bit wider and longer stance than original, which is one thing that really will help, straddling the creek to clean it out.
I found an outfit in Eugene Or, that is supplying my frictions, and they have a woven material that has a bit higher coefficient of friction, so we'll see how that works. They say it's really popular with all the loggers that are still using friction drums on yarders and such.
Someone cut the housings off the drum set, so that will also be a project...right now snow/moisture gets all over them all the time. That'd be pretty unhandy if I was depending on it to work all the time.
Lots of little things to fix on it, but that's part of the fun!
John

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

I didn't post the "bringing it home" pictures....
The lowboy driver didn't want to put the outriggers out (of course) and I didn't have quite enough friction to crawl up by myself, so we hooked a D7 on it and tugged it up...of course, unbeknownst to me, there was a pin that had worked part way out on a track rail (I'd had to walk it about 1/4 mile to where we could load) and combined with the narrow deck, started me to slide off... we wound up having to lift the carrier with the 7 and get a come a long on the pads to pull the rail together so I could beat the pin back in and back the crane off to get the deck wider and hop on..... then it really started to snow. All in all, it cost me another hour, but that's the way it goes....

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14:18 PM
Registered-I

looks just like mine different color. i never heard of taking the undercarriage from an erie and putting it on a koehring. mine is a high walker too but it is all original. what shape are the swing gears in?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

didn't see a pic of of your buckets? how many yard.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:57:21 PM
Registered-III

Swing gears are actually pretty nice! All the gearing seems to be in pretty fair shape. It retains the Koehring steering clutches and drive sprockets, just BE from there down.
I've got a drag bucket, not sure just how big...haven't measured yet, but I'd say less than 3/4 yard, just by eyeball. I've also got a log grapple. That'll test my hand/foot/eye coordination! hahha
I looked for the "A" but didn't see anything. I have the IH pump, not the Bosch. It's pretty dirty, and a day or 2 with the steam cleaner is in order here this week, I'm thinking, since it's in the 40's during the day. Maybe it'll show up then.
There's still parts of the carbody that are orange. Not sure just who wanted yellow, but it was put on thick and with no prep, so it's peeling pretty good.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:06:16 AM
Registered-I

I have run a 1 yard before but it handles a 3/4 yard much better. i had better production using a 3/4 yard because the cycle time was faster. i think i have more counter weight than you. i used to be able to throw almost 80 feet of drag cable when there was a long reach needed but best production was under the boom throw your pile behind you then get on the pile and dig the pile plus the burrow and throw again. when i was running the LS 78 there wasn't a track hoe that could keep up with me when i was in my element. have you ever run a dragline bfore?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:16:25 PM
Registered-III

Not yet! haha..... I'm sure there's gonna be a big learning curve, but I've got a few guys around that have run draglines for years...they said they'd stick around and watch and laugh! (what are friends for?!!)
I messed with a crane years ago, just a bit, handling logs, but never did it enough to get good at it. I've loaded under some absolute masters, and sure wish we'd have had the digital cameras and video then that we do now!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28:45 PM
Registered-I

it is a good deal you have some old operators there to laugh <oh i mean help.it really isn't that hard just go slow and for the most part get your clutches set up to where they snap in with little effort and just barely enough that they don't slip. with the 304 less is best. learn how to get your dump sheave set up.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:08:06 PM
Registered-III

Yah, I'll have new frictions and bands, so can get them set up right. Right now, they've been cranked on and are all stiff and sticky from sitting and old grease.... we'll get to the bottom of that. I was told by a couple other guys that ran Koehrings to set them up just like what you say.....just to the point that they wont slip.
I'm sure it'll be a good learning experience...the main thing is that I'm not in any hurry, so that will help.
Supposed to be in the low 40's here today, so I'm going to try to get the steam cleaner in there and get some clutches and brakes "uncaked" a bit and see what we have.
One of these days if you get a chance, I'd really appreciate some pictures of the tinwork around the drums and carbody. Mine was cut away with a torch, so the drums and clutches are all out in the weather.
Thanks,
JH

Old 01-25-2016, 06:00:39 PM
Registered-III

Well,,, when I went to get this thing, Ben told me that the UD-16 was a cantankerous engine, and he was constantly cussing it. It never had run quite right and didn't have the power it should....today I think I figured out most of why....

Those pushrods work alot better when they're straight. He thought it had some valves sticking....I'd say he was right......now to find parts......
JH
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hanson For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 09:01:56 PM
Registered-I

try these folks https://www.batescorp.com/

to bad i just salvaged a td 18 i couldn't sell.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:41:56 AM
Registered-I

Hey Hanson

look what i found. good reading https://ia802509.us.archive.org/19/i...8/TM5-1168.pdf
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18:45 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,594 Times in 2,432 Posts

Well make certain those valves are freed up and simply straighten those push rods up and re use them. As long as they are no bends in them they will stay straight, I've had plenty of bent ones corrected and they hold up just fine. The valves get stuck in the guides after sitting long periods, that is why it's a good practice to remove valve cover and check the valves before trying to start one that's been sitting long periods.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55:31 AM
Registered-III

MEPman, I found that too....great manual! Mine is a bit newer than the rig they reference, but it pretty much all translates! That's been a huge help!! The guy that owned this one died a few years ago, and I've been working with his son....who is the spitting image of his Dad..... but had never run this one. That manual along with a couple of friends that had some Koehring experience, have helped us figure out pretty much everything we've come up against so far.

FWurth...I've never tried straightening one....but I think I'll give it a try on these. It was a combination of errors that bent them.... whoever was in that head last, never put any lock washers on the rocker shaft studs, so all but one stud nut was loose, and 2 studs snapped off...plus as you say, there was probably a valve that was snug in a guide from sitting (it seldom got used, and when it did, it was started and used for a while, then shut back off and left). We rolled it over by the hand crank the first time and everything felt free and easy, and from the looks of this, and the description of it from his son, I've got a feeling they've been bent for a while....
I'll give straightening a try....the valve springs sure aren't very stiff, and I can swap the straightened ones around with a couple of intake pushrods, so they wont have much load on them.
I need to check out the timing gears and a few other things on it as soon as I have time, to make sure there's not a whole bunch of other things wrong, before I waste a bunch of time on something that isn't worth fixing.
Thanks!
John