Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Myrick Eclipse 4HP Project Thread

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2353 times

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36:22 AM
Registered-I

Default Myrick Eclipse 4HP Project Thread

I have always liked the big oil field engines. They are so smooth and unique, but also very large and have an equally large price tag. I also had not planned on getting a new project, but thanks to EngineAds, I found a Myrick Eclipse project I could not pass up. I took the drive from SE PA to the NW corner of PA on a wonderful Memorial Day weekend day to pick it up. I was excited for the project but once it was off of the truck, that kicked into high gear! I cant wait to get this running.

So here is the project thread. I am sure I will have plenty of questions so follow along if you don't mind my random ramblings I will post. This will be a nice addition to my 1 3/4HP Monarch hit miss and my 5 HP Ottawa log saw throttle governed. I have never worked with a hot tube engine before so, as an engineer, I am intrigued to learn more!

Enjoy the pictures, I'll try to keep this updated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	254916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	254917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	254918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick6.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	254919  

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2016, 09:37:34 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Myrick Eclipse 4HP Project Thread

Some more pictures. Getting it off the truck was fun. I think I need a bigger loader!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	254920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	254921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrick7.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	254922  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrikeForce For This Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 02:37:42 PM
Subscriber

Judging from the serial number 1981 (I think that is what I see), it would be one of the last engines badged as a Myrick. Some where in around s/n 2000 and circa 1920, some engines went out as Myrick-Luther Co, and later as plain old Luther. From what I've seen, the Luthers have more rounded corners on the top of the cylinder support. Nice runners overall. Usually the wrist pin bushing clamp screw needs tightening to take up play. You'll know when you get it apart. Have fun!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:58:04 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGray View Post
Judging from the serial number 1981 (I think that is what I see), it would be one of the last engines badged as a Myrick. Some where in around s/n 2000 and circa 1920, some engines went out as Myrick-Luther Co, and later as plain old Luther. From what I've seen, the Luthers have more rounded corners on the top of the cylinder support. Nice runners overall. Usually the wrist pin bushing clamp screw needs tightening to take up play. You'll know when you get it apart. Have fun!
That's a bad picture, the serial number is 1198 so I think its 1917-18 era.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:33:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,944 Times in 980 Posts

It looks like it has an early style intake valve chest on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 07:15:37 AM
Registered-I

Small correction, the serial number is actually 1196 not 1198, just for the record.

One question. Does anyone have any specs or dimensions on the governor springs? They are missing from the engine so outside of pictures, I don't have much to start my search with. I am thinking I could find springs at the hardware store (unlikely) or use a set that are from a different engine but are close to the same. While I work on getting it unstuck, I like to work on finding out where my replacement parts need to come from. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:38:33 AM
Subscriber

The springs on it were something like 5/8-3/4" OD but very stiff for running it slow. I've used screen door springs cut down to (from memory) about 3-4". There should be two threaded adjusters to dial in the tension and speed on one side. The gasket/rings parts can be had from the sponsors pages. Good idea to lap in the intake valve to get good gas seal and make for easy starting. With the hot tube you have, and if you wish to slow it down, you might want to try running it without the chimney lining to keep it from getting too hot and pre-igniting.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:34:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,569 Times in 206 Posts

Congratulations on bringing home a little workhorse from the oilfields! Take heed to whatever Paul Gray tells you and be sure to get yourself a copy of the Coolspring Bores and Strokes publication that Paul wrote a couple of years ago on the Myrick company and their products. It is a treasure trove of good info! Bill Klein
The Following User Says Thank You to W.P.Klein For This Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31:15 AM
Registered-I

Today was a successful day of vacation from work. Heated the cylinder up nice and evenly, was able to work the piston out finally! I also was able to loosen up the governor sleeve so it moves freely.

Couple of questions:
1) In my process of heating, I must have heated up the connecting rod too much. The bearing popped out and it looked like it was soldered in previously. What is the correct way to re-attach that?
2) Is there anyone making fan shrouds? Mine is 60% and I am considering taking it to a local chimney place to see if they can re-create it. If there is someone making these, I would rather support their business.
3) Is it recommended to replace the piston rings or try and re-use them? Two of the three are loose, the other isn't far behind if I am careful.

Now that most everything is loose or apart, now we are starting the find and procure parts stage. This is usually where I turn up the flame on the project and cant sleep at night because I want to get it running! Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrikeForce For This Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 10:34:28 AM
Registered-I

So far, the project is moving along at a pretty good pace. I wasn't expecting to be this far along to date. I was able to get everything loose, cleaned up, and almost all put back together. With some help, I made a burner pipe and have a chimney (the only missing piece) on its way. Finding out today that the combined intake/exhaust channel is a bit of fun. I am getting a little bit of exhaust valve flutter on intake and getting some air out of the gas pipe on compression. I had worked on the valve assemblies but it looks like a few more adjustments are required. I didn't think I would have it going until later this year, but if all continues well, it make be able to appear at our local August show!
The Following User Says Thank You to StrikeForce For This Post:
Old 09-24-2016, 10:01:22 PM
Registered-I

I suppose I should update this thread. Got the engine running pretty solid over the Labor Day weekend. Since then I have put a round leather belt on but due to traveling for work, have not been able to run it again.

The cylinder shroud is actually a tee from a HVAC duct that I cut down. Its not perfect but I think it turned out okay.

Needed a new intake valve. That was quite a battle to get it to seat properly and I don't think its fully 100% yet but we'll get there.

So, here is the running video! Ran for about 2 hours without issue.
https://youtu.be/FNk107-YH10
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StrikeForce For This Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 04:20:04 PM
Subscriber

She's running very respectably. Your hot tube temp looks good. As that intake seats in she should hit a bit harder and coast more between firings. Could also loosen up the gov spring to slow it down further, but that is a personal choice. Using the HVAC tee for a shroud is a good idea I'll park away for future reference. Well done...welcome to the world of hot tube engines!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 09:43:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,944 Times in 980 Posts

The gasket surface of the intake valve chest and head needs to be perfectly flat because if it isn't when you tighten the bolts the valve seat will warp, preventing the intake from sealing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 03:25:41 PM
Registered

Hi i got your reply but could not reply so i hope you will get this one .It was nice to hear from you on your Myrick engine .I will be going to Cool springs this spring and will look for one there .But i would still like to keep in touch with you .My engine is running on a mag and spark plug put would like to convert it back to hot tube .Thank you Ron .
Old 12-06-2016, 09:04:00 AM
Registered-III

I have a new fan shroud for a myrick. email me kyleblankenship05@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2016, 02:14:56 PM
Registered-III

back to this...

strikeforce, looks like you have a new chimney for your hot tube set up. do you care to post who has them for sale? i used to buy them from burnsm but sinces he isnt in the business anymore kinda hard to find. i guess i shoulda bought his paterns when i had the chance...
Old 01-01-2017, 02:51:11 PM
Subscriber

I'm not trying to sell in this forum, but pm me as I make repro chimneys.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10:33 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlankenship View Post
back to this...

strikeforce, looks like you have a new chimney for your hot tube set up. do you care to post who has them for sale? i used to buy them from burnsm but sinces he isnt in the business anymore kinda hard to find. i guess i shoulda bought his paterns when i had the chance...
Kyle, been busy so sorry I haven't gotten back to this. I did get a repo chimney from a gentleman in Michigan. I had made my burner nozzle as well but he had a spare at a decent price so I bought that as well. I'd have to dig back through my notes to find the name and number (I believe he bought all the left overs you used to buy). You can PM me on here or FB if you're still searching.