Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Nordberg?

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1091 times

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15:28 PM
Registered

Default Nordberg?

Hi. I'm new here. My grandfather collected antique engines when I was a kid. Cleaning out my mom's garage, we came across these Nordberg things. Can anybody tell me anything about them? I don't even know where to research this.

---------- Post added at 05:15:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10:47 PM ----------

Not sure what happened to the photo.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2016, 05:49:17 PM

Thanked 19,087 Times in 5,660 Posts
Default Re: Nordberg?

Welcome to STAK.......

I moved your question to a more appropriate forum.......I hope.......

If something more specific turns up I'll move it again.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:55:00 AM
Registered

Can someone please explain how to post a photo to this forum?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=de183b6936

Craig here: I fiddled around with the image address until I got it right.......don't feel bad.......

Craig here again: Either dropbox doesn't like hot linking or you removed the photo so I'm ATTACHING it this time.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nordberg.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	257880  
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,016 Times in 486 Posts

I can explain mobile. If you have an iPhone you need to email the photo to your self and resize it to medium. Then save it and upload it. You also have to get lucky because it may stretch or be uploaded upside down. Android is easier you just upload from a picture from "documents" when the options are given. You used to have resize it with a free app called photo resizer. I haven't done that in a while though so I think it has been updated.

You can also upload from a desk top and use photo hasting websites. I haven't figured out how to do either.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:15:09 PM
Registered-II

Looking at the screen right now......click on REPLY in the QUOTE REPLY THANKS area. Then right under the box for 'Message:" click GO ADVANCED. That will bring up the screen you want. Just under the message box is another box that says ADDITIONAL OPTIONS. In that box is a little box that says Attach Files. Inside that is Manage Attachments.......click that button. That opens a box with: Upload File from your Computer- Browse. Go into your computer and find the photo you want to post. Click on it, then click UPLOAD. Your photo will become part of your reply.

Then SUBMIT REPLY (just under this box)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:18:55 PM
Registered-II

Default Planet Jr. decal photo wanted

There......I just followed what I posted about Nordberg and up pops a photo.

In my case, I am looking for a perfect Planet Jr. planter decal or photo of the decal in as perfect condition as possible. I want to have a run of water slip, NOT vinyl, decals made for myself and other Planet Jr. rust junkies.

Hope this works for posting for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planet jr. seeder box in great shape4..jpg
Views:	75
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	257818  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,274 Times in 800 Posts

The facebook link goes to the picture.

These tags were likely from a Nordberg stationary engine or Pump. Nordberg manufacturing of Milwaukee Wisconsin built Large Diesel and Steam Engines and pumps for Power Plants, Ships Etc. and the mining industry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordbe...turing_Company

Nice artifact but I wouldn't have a clue as to value ?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:16:22 AM
Registered

To SorryImLate: My name is LGB originally from Milwaukee WI. I worked at Nordberg MFG Co and I built, tested and installed many of the full line of diesel engines for about 15 years until Rex-Chainbelt sold the Power Machinery Division (Nordberg Diesels) to Cooper-Bessemer in Lima OH in 1972-73. But your photo of the Nordberg names are the cast nameplates that were affixed to the to the engines after manufacturing and testing of the engines prior to painting and shipping. At this point I'm not sure what your trying to do, but if you are or anyone else is looking for back round information on Nordberg Engines I'd would certainly try to help. I am probably one of the last people available to answer any question about the manufacture, application and installation of the engines. I have had a very long family history with the company.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LGB For This Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:31:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,207 Times in 1,814 Posts

LGB, please start a thread and post up your history, pics, stories etc. about these biggies. My dad sold insurance to Nordberg and as a kid in the 60's we got a tour of the place by the President. I was in awe of the vertical giants and how someone could wall in the crankcase.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:06:46 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,593 Times in 2,431 Posts

Our local municipal power plant installed a used large Nordberg unit back in the 90s after the builder had long since been out of business. That was a very poor decision as they had major problems with it and had to have a new piston assembly custom made for it at great expense! They had a so called expert reassemble it and ran it scarsely a few hours and burned out the same piston again. Had to have another one made again but this time someone with a bit of sense worked on it and found the cause and cured it. Been working ever since without any issues today yet. They only fire up the plant to offset peak load demands for the main outside grid supplier.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:18:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,545 Posts

In the 90's there was a place in Houston Tx, Cooper-Cameron iirc that worked on and supplied parts for Nordberg engines. And down at Kelly AFB there was a building full of them, the CEMRT building (Civil Engineering Maintenance Repair Technology), we used to walk through there and just drool at those monsters.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:31:53 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,593 Times in 2,431 Posts

That sounds like the place where they got the one up here, I recall it came from a recycler in TX as I recall. They also sourced a replacement Superior engine from down there for one they ran out of oil. For all the work to machine an adaptor to fit to the generator, I think they could well have repaired the old unit easier.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:56:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,545 Posts

I just might have had a hand in that, we bought several Nordbergs at KAFB in the 90's, they were already sold and went straight onto a semi headed north, too long ago for me to remember where. Also had a bunch of Superior parts and 3 engines, sold some of the parts, still have some parts, but the engines ended up as scrap after hurricane Ike.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:22:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,440 Posts

Nordberg Manufacturing Company
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nordberg Manufacturing Company.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	271442