Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Battery Post repair

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 591 times

Old 08-16-2016, 05:36:58 PM
Registered-III

Default Battery Post repair

About as good of a place to put it.

Had a battery in a electric golf cart that was good enough to use but the bolt was loose in the post. Two ways to fix it, fix the post or replace all the batteries with new ones for around $900. Not my cart and so I fixed the post.

Took a bit of aluminum pipe and fit it to the old post as a form. Used my torch to heat up the bolt and pull it out of the damaged post. Cleaned up the bolt and filed some extra cuts to help it hold in the lead. Slathered what was left of the post with plenty of flux and heated the bolt again and using it like a soldering copper pushed it back in the post. Filled up the form with solder being careful not to let it all run out around the top of the battery. Let it cool and removed the form. Cleaned it up with a file so the nut fit on the bolt nice and even.

Worked fine until something else went wrong with the cart. Was told it started to smoke so I looked under the seat to see if my repair melted. Not that and have no desire to put more time in the thing. They are planning on new batteries next year when they need to use it. Just need to find someone that can figure out why it was sending out smoke signals. Could be something to do with all the dust it was covered in when I last saw it. Not sure where that came from as the place they use it is mostly grass and asphalt.

Least i know I can fix a battery post if I need to.

One note, do not use open flame around a battery that has been charged, or is being charged. I was lucky and had a rather windy day so any possible hydrogen would have been swiftly blown away before I was.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,028 Posts
Default Re: Battery Post repair

It may sound a bit tacky but I had a cart come along that had battery's about 6 years old and they are on their last legs. 1 post had melted off.I cleaned the remains of the post and got it flat with the battery top. Then used a short lag screw 1/4 inch in diameter and just used the cordless drill to screw it and let it hold the cable. Working great 2 months later.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:04:21 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Battery Post repair

That is a second way to fix them. Just sounded a bit cheesy for me. I did read of one guy that had the screw fail and burn the rest of the post off as well as a hole in the top of the battery.