Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Removing a stubborn head

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1774 times

Old 09-07-2016, 09:04:20 PM
Registered-I

Default Removing a stubborn head

Hey all,

I've started to dig into my 40HP Boviard and Seyfang and little more, and i'm starting by pulling the head - well, trying! all the nuts were taken off, and I first tried chiseling the head off - no go. Then i loosely put a couple nuts back on for safety, and connected a valve and compressed air supply to the spark plug hole (12 1/2"bore, 115 PSI, do the math... 7 tons of force pushing on the head!). after a little while some air starts escaping thru the water jacket.

Still no luck, so i take a hacksaw and carefully cut through the gasket, between the head and cylinder. I go almost all the way around the head, as deep as i can go before hitting the head studs. more compressed air. Nothing. Take a putty knife and start driving it through the gasket any place i can. Still nothing, more air leaking thru water jacket though.

Then i take the pressure washer and blast out the rust between the head and studs, thinking rust in there could be binding up. I also blast out the head gasket as much as i can.

Still stuck tight! I'm out of ideas now. A fair bit of air leaks out now, but it's still stuck hard. I had the idea of hooking my pressure washer to the spark plug hole, but I don't know how much pressure a cylinder can safely take? I don't even know if the pressure washer would flow enough to keep up with the leakage - my 60 gallon air compressor gets a workout keeping up with the air leakage.

Any wisdom? Thanks!

conrad
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 10:10:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,948 Times in 891 Posts
Default Re: Removing a stubborn head

Probably rust around the studs, do you have a acetylene torch? If so heat the studs red and let cool several times, the heat will work it's way down loosening rust, expanding and contracting studs will help shake things loose. Put the nuts back on to protect threads, tap the studs vigorously. If you have room to double nut, try an impact on the studs, back and forth to shake things. If no room for that and things still haven't moved you may consider welding the nuts and impacting them, would probably require stud replacement, welds could be ground off.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 09-08-2016, 06:25:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,084 Times in 2,774 Posts

I restored an Edwards engine a while back and had to use a hacksaw in the gasket gap to cut the studs to get the head off of the parts donor engine. That would ne had been in a fire a looooong time ago and sat outside after that.

It took a lot of hammering to loosen the studs enough to remove them from the head.

Rust and swelling was the culprit.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 09-08-2016, 06:56:28 AM
Subscriber

Some used oil in the jug will seal up your air leak until the head loosens.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:43:46 PM
Registered-I

I'll have to take a look and see if there's still rust in the head stud holes. If there is, I'll see if i can double nut the studs and take them out... I'll have to chop two of my head nuts in half to get them thin enough to double-nut. thanks for the help thus far!

conrad
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17:52 PM
Registered-I

I tried hooking my pressure washer to the cylinder so i can put higher pressures to the cylinder. I got to about 500PSI, then the rust on the piston must have loosened up a bit, and i started loosing all my pressure out the exhaust port. Head is still stuck tight though!

I've learned from a fellow B&S owner that these heads extend down into the cylinder, rather than being flat bottomed. I believe that a large part of my problem is this part of the head being stuck in the bore.

With nothing else i can think of trying, i'm going to weld nuts onto the studs and try to back them out. We'll see how it works!

conrad
Old 10-04-2016, 08:50:30 PM
Subscriber

Heat the studs and lube with beeswax before removing the studs. Also, first tighten the studs before backing them off. Wiggle back and forth more and more. Don't try to impact them out in one go as they will snap.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:41:13 AM
Registered-I

Good advice from others. The only thing I would like to add is please don't use a chisel!!!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:56:46 PM
Sponsor

will the engine turn?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48:13 PM
Registered-I

Nope, piston is stuck. that's why i'm taking the head off!

conrad
Old 12-26-2016, 06:38:59 PM
Registered-I

nearly 3 months of oil soaking, followed by chiseling, followed by rattling it with an air chisel, it has finally come free! It was definitely stuck on rusty studs, it fought me all the way off. Here's the video I made as worked on removing the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm94uQby0ls
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post: