Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Gas Stabilizer - had ethanol in it.

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 2362 times

Old 10-02-2016, 01:27:34 PM
Registered-I

Default Gas Stabilizer - had ethanol in it.

I went to add some of that "Staybil" (or however it's spelled) to the fuel for my weedeater, and have used it in the past with my Clinton and Briggs (and Onan). The problem is, I noticed in the fine print that it's based on Ethanol.

I've taken to using no-ethanol gas for my small engines, because of the problems I've had in the past (had a chain saw, couple of weedeaters, and lawnmower go bad {unrepairable} because of ethanol-added gas - tubing and carbs shot, even with "Staybil" added).

Is there another brand of stabilizer that I could get that DOESN'T include ethanol? I don't trust Staybil any more because of what I learned - and after being told that it would cost more to repair my 'stuff' than it would cost to replace them.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2016, 01:42:33 PM
Banned

Default Re: Gas Stabilizer - had ethanol in it.

A good brand of two cycle oil usually has stabilizers already in it. I never treat two cycle fuel, just the unmixed stuff in the 4 cycles.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:45:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,268 Times in 949 Posts

Ether you like the stuff or not. Here are words from the horse's mouth.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...myths-debunked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 03:54:12 PM
Subscriber

X2 on using two-cycle oil. And, it is a heck of a lot cheaper than StaBil!!!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:24:57 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Here are words from the horse's mouth.
Do you have any sources that AREN'T from the corporation? I've learned the hard way to NEVER but NEVER trust what a corporation says. Their only "good" is maximized profit - and they will lie through their teeth to do so.

It says right on the package "Ethanol Treatment". That suggests that it contains or is based on Ethanol.

There has got to be something that will work OK with 4 cycle motors - and that's good to know about the 2 cycle oil.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39:58 PM
Registered-III

I have tried all the commercial fuel stabilizers and found what works best is two stroke oil. Everything that is going to sit for at least 6 months gets some. I found this out on my own when I once had a gallon of E-10 that was mixed as 2 stroke fuel for my chainsaw. It would still burn after almost 3 years in my storage shed!!! Also ever since I have been using it as stabilizer I don't have any problems with stale fuel and gummed up carbs. The only thing that I would not try to use it in is anything with a catalytic converter. It might not like the oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,394 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
Do you have any sources that AREN'T from the corporation? I've learned the hard way to NEVER but NEVER trust what a corporation says. Their only "good" is maximized profit - and they will lie through their teeth to do so.

It says right on the package "Ethanol Treatment". That suggests that it contains or is based on Ethanol.

There has got to be something that will work OK with 4 cycle motors - and that's good to know about the 2 cycle oil.
I would trust the corp. before some off the wall site. Corp. would get their butts sued off. Ethanol treatment MEANS its for treating ethanol fuel. Briggs&strantion recommends stabil as does Steihl. I have bought a couple of new briggs powered lawn mowers and they came with a small bottle of fuel stabilizer. Most good 2cycle oil comes with stabil or equivalent already in it. Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 05:42:37 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRR View Post
I would trust the corp. before some off the wall site.
I don't think Smokstak is an "off the wall site". That is why I'm asking here. There are many ways a corporation can skew things and remain legal (maybe just barely legal). I'm asking here because people who work on "old motors" (of all types) generally know a bit more about what really works and what doesn't. Of course, we'll find corporate shills just about everywhere - and people like myself who have been burned too many times to ever trust corporations written statements and claims again. I think I'd get more straight info here than at their website.

If a little 2 stroke oil will protect gas in a four cycle without causing problems (including smoking for mosquitoes), I'd go with that. Problem is - what is a good rule of thumb concentration? I would think the same concentration (40-1, 50-1) as used in a 2 stroke might cause excessive smoke or carbon buildup, or fouling. I've never experimented with it - and don't care to risk my equipment.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:42:59 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,199 Times in 367 Posts

If I were you I'd as Bernie Sanders.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:49:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,262 Times in 548 Posts

According to the MSDS, Gold Eagle - Sta-Bil Marine Fuel Stabiliser doesn't mix with water and its main ingredient is isoparaffins petroleum hydrotreated HFP. Its probably very similar to WD-40. Here is the MSDS http://www.stihl.com.au/p/media/down...014_Aug_01.pdf

Last edited by DustyBar; 10-02-2016 at 07:37:53 PM.