Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco flywheel identification...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 287 times

Old 10-05-2016, 03:45:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Delco flywheel identification...

I purchased a Delco Light 752 from a Craigslist ad not to long ago. Although it was 180 miles away, I had a friend who lived in the area bring it to me on a visit. The flywheel had been removed "because is was so heavy" according to the seller, but when it arrived I knew something was wrong. It's diameter is identical to my 850......far too large, so now I have to look for a flywheel.

On examining it though, I noticed something unusual......there's a v belt pulley groove machined around the perimeter and it appears original. My 850 manual specifically says NOT to drive anything from the flywheel, so is this for another model Delco and what is the purpose?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Delco flywheel identification........

The groove in the flywheel is for a 32v starter, so the flywheel is probably correct. the starter would be mounted fairly close to the flywheel, that starter had a wheel specifically designed to ride in the "V" groove on the flywheel, thus starting the engine. Post some pictures so that we can be sure.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:28:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Delco flywheel identification...

Ahhh, okay.........I think I know what happened.

The plant I bought is definitely a model 752, that is, self starting and automatic. It's flywheel should be around 13" in diameter (I verified this with a fellow collector here on the stak).

Looking at the visual identification guide on the Delco Light collector's website, I see that the model 750 has a separate starter and the groove in the flywheel is visible.

So, I think these two parts got together in some sort of mixup years ago and were never mated because they couldn't be. You know.....the old "well the model numbers are close, so it should fit" scenario. The grooved 750 flywheel is simply to large in diameter to clear the mounting surface when the generator is bolted down bolted down.

Last edited by George Andreasen; 10-06-2016 at 12:55:41 PM.