Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco 601 manuals?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 577 times

Old 10-25-2016, 04:50:48 PM
Registered

Default Delco 601 manuals?

Hey guys, I've never had a Delco, and I picked up a 1925 model 601 over the weekend at the Route 66 Flywheelers show in Catoosa. It starts on its own with the switch and it runs great, but I'm not sure if things are hooked up right, because I'm having to energize the coil with a jumper wire...

I was using a 12v battery, this might have something to do with it as I see that there is a resistor in the end of the coil.

Do I need to be hooked up to a 32V circuit for it to produce 32V output?

If I was hooked straight up to 32V, would the coil work as it sits without the use of the jumper wire?

Anyone have any idea on where to get service manuals for this unit? I tried to get in touch with Dr. Delco but the phone number wasn't working.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2016, 06:54:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,869 Times in 970 Posts
Default Re: Delco 601 manuals?

You do need 32 volts for it to work properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14:10 AM
Registered-III

Contact member FDChief here on the forum. He has reproduction manuals available at a reasonable cost for many of the Delcos. My 850 manual has several good, easily followed schematics.

The resistance unit on the coil is designed to reduce 32 volts DC down to around 5 volts DC for the coil. I only have my model 850 for comparison, but it's a very simple system.....battery power goes though the points, through the coil and back to the battery. Note that this is NOT a grounded system like a car....the voltage returns to the battery via wire, not grounded to the generator frame.

By the way, if you're running the original coil, congratulations. Many of them have given up the ghost over the years and had to be swapped out with a modern coil. In that case, you can transfer the resistance coil over to the new coil and it will operate just fine.

How about some pictures? I've been looking for a 650 so I'm a little jealous!
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 02:32:30 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for replying. I will contact him and get a couple of manuals coming to make sure that I'm not going to burn anything up trying to see if this thing is working. and yes, George, it appears to be the original coil...im attaching some pictures, I hope they upload right... Also, I am uploading a picture of the battery I am using..I work in telecom, and we have some pretty good sized 12v gel batteries that time out every few years, and I have three of these in series to start and run the engine now. They spin it over FAST! and have a combined voltage of around 38V, will this be a suitable battery bank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4941.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	266559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4944.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	266560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4946.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	266561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4948.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	266562  

Old 10-26-2016, 02:33:43 PM
Registered

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4950.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	266563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4952.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	266564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4953.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	266565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	266566  

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36:03 PM
Registered

Last couple of pictures....Is this the original paint scheme? Black with a red velocity cap? the whole rig appears to be unfornicated with. Remnants of the original triangle decal are present.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4956.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	266567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4958.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	266568  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:55:47 AM
Subscriber

Send me a private message and i will get you the contact info for FDCHIEF, he has the manuals.
The Following User Says Thank You to netpirate8 For This Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:24:15 AM
Registered-III

Three 12 volt batteries will work, but you'd be better off substituting one 8 volt battery in the lineup to make a 32 volt bank. It's a little easier on light bulbs or other 32 volt appliances you might acquire. I worked in telecom also, for over forty years, and managed to get a full set of C.O. batteries once......24 2 volt lead acid cells (clear, just like the old ones), at 88 lbs. apiece. Talk about storage capacity! That was years ago and I sure wish I had 'em back today!

The high tension lead from the coil to the spark plug is supposed to be a flat brass or bronze strip. Easy to make if you want to make it "proper". But hey, if it ain't broke......don't fix it.

The red cap is probably a replacement put on by a former owner. The Delcos were originally black, but if returned to the factory for refurbishing were painted red which was the new color in the early thirties. I used Krylon's Fusion brand paint in the "black satin" shade. It gives a beautiful finish (no primer required) and doesn't highlight "goofs" like a glossy paint.

That looks like a very nice little 601. With a proper battery setup it could provide lights in your shop or a small cabin somewhere. Source of bulbs here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?pid=11744

Keep us posted on your progress!
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 05:08:07 PM
Registered

Last night when I tried to start it on the 36V string of gel batteries, it spun over fast as hell, but just pop popped. It never took off running on its own. It seemed that the plug was only firing whenever I had the starting lever depressed. Then when it started firing, I let off and it would die. I then hooked my jumper wire back up (in parallel, so I knew it was only getting 12V) to the terminal sticking out of the end of the coil resistor, and then the engine would start and stay running...I still don't know if it was charging, because the batteries were at 38V. I'm going to pull the generator cover off this evening just to do a visual inspection, anything I should keep an eye out for besides broken wires and masses of carbon buildup? Maybe which wires to ohm out?

There is one stud on the panel that is vacant, it also always reads the same voltage as the battery. any idea what this one does?

thanks!!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32:26 AM
Registered-III

Delcos require getting "up to speed" before they'll stay running.....or at least mine does! They're a cold blooded beast and I have to hold my switch in the starting position until I'm sure the engine is running normally. Once it's warmed up it chugs along merrily. You might check the compression......could be worn valves or rings. Delcos don't have much compression but they need SOME in order to run.

As for the electrical, the first thing you'll need is a manual with the wiring schematic so order one if you haven't already.

I'm only familiar with the 850 but assuming they operate on the same principle, your starting switch may have an open inner coil. There are two coils inside the starting switch.....and outer coil of heavy wire and few turns, and an inner coil of very fine wire with many turns. That inner coil usually breaks due to age.

When the generator is functioning normally the two coils act as an electromagnet and hold the starting switch up, and you can let go of it once the engine is up to speed.

Pull the switch cover off and examine the inside. There should be two coil terminals on the right and two on the left......and it's pretty obvious which is which. Disconnect one of the fine wire coil ends to isolate it from the rest of the generator circuit and read across the ends with a VOM. Be CAREFUL when handling that fine wire! You should get a reading between 250-300 ohms, which will prove that inner coil good. The other, heavier coil, will read around 2 ohms. The main thing is continuity....if you have it, the switch should work.

As for examining the generator, disconnect any external wires to the control board, tag them and remove the control board completely. Take off the sheet metal end bell. Use a punch and make a couple of "witness marks" on the brush ring and the cast iron frame. Now you can remove the brush ring and reinstall it later, matching the marks. I held the brushes back with a bit of wire wrapped around the brush and the closest screw........then pulled the entire ring right off.

Next, pull the cast iron housing with the field coils off. Careful, it's heavy! Clean oil deposits off with NAPA brake cleaner spray (outdoors). Examine all wiring/coils for mouse damage, missing insulation or broken conductors. Clean and SOLDER anything that needs to be reconnected. Liquid electrical tape is a very good product for reinsulating things.

That's about it.......nothing really complicated. If you've ever poked around in an old car generator it's pretty much the same thing........so go for it!

Last edited by George Andreasen; 10-28-2016 at 07:44:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:33:19 PM
Subscriber

Atleast here locally, i have found that Tractor Supply Co. has the cheapest 8V battery, its pretty beefy. I just bought one this summer, so i cant say how long it will last.