Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Iron Sides 2 hole portable sheller project

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 1975 times

Old 11-01-2016, 09:40:47 AM
Subscriber

Default Iron Sides 2 hole portable sheller project

Purchased this sheller a year ago and once home I discovered it was not in the condition I had hoped for, lots of dry rot. It has found its way to the front of the line and I am going to put it in working condition while saving as much of the original as I can. I will ad dpictures as I move along. The goal is to pull it out of the shop in the spring ready to shell corn. Shop is a bit crowded and hard to get decent over all pictures. The project gave me a reason to purchase a 15" planer and 8" jointer so all is not on the downside I have the cob and shelled corn elevators for it also.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41:57 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Iron Sides 2 hole portable sheller project

Few spots that will be repaired
Some of the rot That needs repaired.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25:42 PM
Registered-III

Regardless, it's not often that people get the opportunity to nab up one of these machines. Very nice indeed! Wish it was mine!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:13:50 AM
Subscriber

OK on to the rebuild. Had a slight delay as I installed a dust collector system in the shop.
Hard to get pictures of the extent of the wood damages, Suffice it to say that if it were a wee bit worse this would be a total re-wood job. I THINK I can save most of it that is not structural but time will tell. Besides being left out in the weather at some point in its life it also has been attacked by powder post beetles.
The "frame" of the sheller is basically a square box made up of 3x3 stock of unknown species. This is one of the lower main beams that also holds the shelled corn chute. That chute is a casting, AMAZING foundry work.

The old beam showing the damage better and the new one made from white oak fresh out of the planer. The white oak was sawed on my farm about 8 years ago.

Since I am not going to completely disassemble the sheller the new beam only has a tenon on one end and I will have to trim it so as to get it in the mortise in the upright. The other end will be attached by driving a loose "tenon" through the hole in the upright and into a recess in the beam.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:35:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,482 Times in 699 Posts

we have a Eureka as well, in much the same condition. I look forward to seeing how this goes, I hope we someday get ours running as well. I have a little bit of literature as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Hornbaker62.jpg   Hornbaker71.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 12:06:38 PM
Subscriber

Paul, looking at the frame stenciling your sheller was sold by the same dealer as mine. I dont have the crib conveyor or drive set up and doesnt appear to ever had it. I noticed that yours does not have the right angle drive and pulley, neither does mine. Its a long shot at best but I would sure like to have the right angle drive parts some day.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23:51 AM
Subscriber

This is the cross piece installed. The 45 degree brace to the left was not there originally but the upright to the left is in pretty poor shape right where that fan shaft bearing is attached. I would replace it except that is impossible without removing the sheller from the undercarriage and totally disassembling it The upright in structurally important as it not only holds the fan and it also holds the bottom of the feed elevator. Hard to explain but will become clear later,, I hope.

This piece fell off the sheller during transport. note the rotted tenons still in it. The cast iron pockets are for the legs that hold the feed elevator.

And the completed new part. We will need to be creative to attach it due to the lack of tenons and the integrity of the uprights.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 09:31:30 AM
Subscriber

Bottom frame work shelled corn chute completed. There is a lot of stress on the set of legs to the left due to how the feeder is mounted so I installed some extra supports. We will blend them in with chalk paint later in the hope that it looks like an old field expedient repair.

---------- Post added at 08:31:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24:16 AM ----------

The shelled corn elevator hangs on the right side and heavily stresses the entire machine to hold it in position. The heavy side of the sheller had settle down giving the entire sheller what Dad would have called the "dee-troit lean" I lifted it and drove builders shims under the mounts then tightened the through bolts. Pretty easy repair. The shims were cut flush, rubbed a bit of used oil on them and they are now pretty much invisible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 09:47:50 AM
Subscriber

To the top and a couple relatively simple repairs. As you can see the top cover sides are in reasonable condition but the top is junk.

This is the shelled corn elevator mount and pivot with the old rotted wood all ready removed.

Repairs beginning on the top cover

And the completed repairs to the top cover and mount for the shelled corn elevator. This about completes the easy stuff next will be the ear elevator.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 11:24:53 AM
Subscriber

While I was up top measuring things I got the greasers all working. Luckily they are all almost full of the old type hard grease.
Surely this has been asked elsewhere but is there a source for that hard cup grease? I have an Appleton corn shredder to go through after this sheller and it has a 5 gallon bucket full,,, well almost ,,, of cup greasers on it.
When I was a kid we had one machine on the farm that had grease cups and dad had and old ESSO tin of cup grease and I remember him saying you couldn't get it any more,,,, 50 years ago.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29:38 PM
Registered-III

Wow!! I hadn't looked at this thread because it was "2 hole portable sheller", and I've seen a lot of those, but what you've got is a huge, magnificent piece of machinery- not at all what I imagined! I didn't expect this at all; thanks for posting the great pix of your progress!

-Rick I.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32:54 AM
Subscriber

Thank you, Camera work isnt my thing but I try.
This piece is a by-pass chute of sorts. It goes under the ear elevator and what ever corn is shelled prior to the sheller drops on it and to the ground. Doesn't make sense to me but that's how it was made. It was mostly just dried out and loosey goosey so I clamped it together and added screws. The legs were rotted as is the mount for the ear conveyor thus new parts are being made.

And mounted on the sheller to check fit. The feed elevator mounts to the legs above this chute, it is next to be repaired and will be a big project.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:19:25 AM
Subscriber

The feeder, what a mess! I have been debating what to do with it for weeks. Doesnt look so bad in pictures but besides weather rot it has beetle damage and to top it off it has a big twist from hanging on one leg for ?? years.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:25:36 AM
Subscriber

Made a decision,I am building it all new Found a nice old nail free plank in the haymow and ran it through the planer for the sides . Not sure what kind of wood it is but sure is purdy. The narrower Oak pieces are for the bottom.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:20:08 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddicted View Post
While I was up top measuring things I got the greasers all working. Luckily they are all almost full of the old type hard grease.
Surely this has been asked elsewhere but is there a source for that hard cup grease? I have an Appleton corn shredder to go through after this sheller and it has a 5 gallon bucket full,,, well almost ,,, of cup greasers on it.
When I was a kid we had one machine on the farm that had grease cups and dad had and old ESSO tin of cup grease and I remember him saying you couldn't get it any more,,,, 50 years ago.
Use a paraffin or oil based general purpose grease. If you use a soap based grease it will mix with the oil based grease already there and cause a caustic reaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:55:59 AM
Subscriber

Thank you, I was somewhat aware of the grease differences but did not know that mixing them was a no-no. I wonder how stiff that cup grease was originally? I remember filling grease cups from Dad's stash with a slim putty knife and that it was stiffer than gun grease.
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 12:03:07 AM
Subscriber

I'm not really sure how viscous, that's what we just use on the steam engines. I'm sure what ever we have now is better than 100 years ago. We have pails of railroad grease very thick!! Don't really have a use so were saving it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44:15 AM
Subscriber

More work on the feeder,
Assembly, actually this was attempt #2 after I nailed and glued the bottom pieces to the wrong edge of the sides

Old 12-12-2016, 09:57:26 AM
Subscriber

An attempt at making the new parts blend with the rest of the sheller. Chalk paint from the craft store and a rag and wipe it back and forth a bit is step #1. Color is too bright but we will be working at that later. The ladies at Pat Catan will be glad to demonstrate how to preform what they call "antiquing" If they are not near you I think that Lowes now sells similar stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:57:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50:29 AM ----------

Added the drive and idlers. I am just copying parts and measurements from the old feeder and putting them together. Next will be flipping it over and adding the wings and hopper. The wood is all White Oak here except the tapered sides which are?? One visitor at the shop said Cherry, I dunno? I am not a woodspert.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:49:15 PM
Registered-III

I have finished by painting a light coat of paint then sanding some of the paint back off. Scuffing the rest of the paint. Then use a regular wood stain like cherry or dark oak and wipe it off. You can then play with paint and stain to get it to look the way you want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitalplace For This Post: