Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

I'm lookin to get this motor appraised and identified any help greatly appreciated

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 4021 times

Old 11-22-2016, 12:44:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,257 Times in 1,353 Posts
Default Re: I'm lookin to get this motor appraised and identified any help greatly appreciat

Another very valid thought Harry!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 07:46:46 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,770 Times in 584 Posts
Default Re: I'm lookin to get this motor appraised and identified any help greatly appreciat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
And another thought to consider. Much the same as on Craigs List or eBay, maybe the engine is hot or it's only a photograph from the internet. Always buy with your head screwed on straight and don't allow yourself to be scammed or put into a bad situation because you want it quick and cheap.
Maybe Harry knows something about the poster?? My scam radar didn't go off when I saw it...

If someone does ever suspect they are being sold something from a picture from the internet there is a way to do a image search on Google. I think it may be called a reverse image search, you upload the picture and then it will attempt to find that image on other sites. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it has worked for me several times. It also works if your buddy sends you an pic of someone they're "seeing" and you want to figure out if it's a random internet picture.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com

Last edited by Jon Rozevink; 11-22-2016 at 10:20:16 PM. Reason: grammer
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 06:22:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,888 Times in 3,333 Posts
Question Re: I'm lookin to get this motor appraised and identified any help greatly appreciat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rozevink View Post
If someone does ever suspect they are being sold something from a picture from the internet there is a way to do a image search on Google. I think it may be called a reverse image search, you upload the picture and then it will attempt to find that image on other sites. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it has worked for me several times.
Could you please explain that a little more.

You say it's worked for you several times. . . Is there something you need to type in on Google when you post a picture to get it to search for other copies or what all is involved in doing that ? ? ?

I keep finding copies of some of the thumbnail pictures from a few of my YouTube videos linked to different websites that have nothing to do with my videos, but I've stumbled across them randomly when looking for other things.

I never heard of a 'reverse image' search or any other way of tracking thing like that . . . Now I'm Curious.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:37:31 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Could you please explain that a little more.

You say it's worked for you several times. . . Is there something you need to type in on Google when you post a picture to get it to search for other copies or what all is involved in doing that ? ? ?

I keep finding copies of some of the thumbnail pictures from a few of my YouTube videos linked to different websites that have nothing to do with my videos, but I've stumbled across them randomly when looking for other things.

I never heard of a 'reverse image' search or any other way of tracking thing like that . . . Now I'm Curious.

Gosh a quick search on "search for copied image" gave several results and even results with "reverse image search". Here is the google result. https://support.google.com/websearch.../1325808?hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:00:16 PM
Subscriber

rule from the grave.it is his if no rules were attached he can do what he wants
Old 11-22-2016, 08:51:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,033 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rozevink View Post
...If someone does ever suspect they are being sold something from a picture from the internet there is a way to do a image search on Google...
That reverse search works quite well. I've used it a number of times and its amazing what turns up and where. Go to https://www.google.com/imghp and then click on the camera icon in the search box. You can drag and drop a picture from your PC onto the box and that's all thats needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 01:28:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,396 Times in 948 Posts

This started by a simple ? and after 3 stupid responses the OP logged off. It was this persons to do with what they wanted. They just asked a honest question. I would bet his Grandfather would be real impressed how his Grandchild was treated! Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 12:18:54 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRR View Post
This started by a simple ? and after 3 stupid responses the OP logged off. It was this persons to do with what they wanted. They just asked a honest question. I would bet his Grandfather would be real impressed how his Grandchild was treated! Bob
So you get excited to help people that say "I was given this, tell me how much it is worth so I can sell it.".

I could care less what they are going to do with it, just do not ask me to give hard won information when they have no interest other then cash. As I said, if they want to pay for that information, then that is different. I do not mind sharing, I do it all the time as a 4-H leader. I do not like to be taken advantage of.

For the record, the first response was a question about it, and the 4th response was an offer to buy it.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:32:02 PM
Registered-I

Maybe not - we don't know (the claim that it belongs to the person OR that the Grandfather wanted that person to have it). Too many times people have ignored the wishes of the deceased and because they had the keys/power, did and took whatever they wanted, even if it violated the terms of the will.

Yeah, that becomes a legal issue, but it happens all the time, and usually the one who gets "it" is the one who doesn't care or doesn't need it (unless the executer is honest and makes sure that the will - and the intentions of the deceased, are followed, which is not always the case). Often, maybe even usually (unless the value is so great that it catches the attention of some politician or bureaucrat) the person gets away with it - and only thinks about how much money they can get out of 'it'.

Then too, sometimes people do nasty things in their wills - like being abusive toward a mixed-race or gay grandchild (as examples). But that's a different story (one affecting at least one friend of mine). All sorts of nasty things often come to light after a person dies.

I'm always suspicious of "wanna sell it NOW!", unless there is some indication of personal disaster or dire need (and usually people in that situation are honest about it).

The fact is, this is not as black and white a situation or discussion as people would think. Because of the things I've seen throughout my life, I tend to distrust the claim of ownership. Other people have different experiences. We also don't know how old the person is... and often kids will do stupid things that they regret later - like selling an item they inherited. The reality is, we do NOT know the situation, and just about every viewpoint is valid and worthy of consideration. The person needs to think about what they intend before they do it, and consider the input of others.

When I first read the original post, my first thought was that it was stolen and the person wanted to get the maximum possible out of it. I did consider that it was legitimate, but having battled greed all my life, responded the way I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 10:13:23 AM
Administrator

Thanked 10,145 Times in 1,694 Posts

For the curious, the O.P. hasn't been back since post #6.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:32:34 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,977 Times in 814 Posts

So many haters. What is this hobby (or world) coming too? I have been around the hobby for over 50 years and have always thought this was the greatest hobby with the best people. With a thread like this I'm not so sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 09:38:52 AM
Administrator

It's the facts of life that we have to live with today. When you open your eyes and realize what is out there after hearing about what can and does happen, alarm bells go off. The world is no longer the bright fresh daisy that it was 50 years ago, so now we proceed with caution.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:00:18 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,977 Times in 814 Posts

That's just sad. We had several new exhibitors at our show at Rollag this year and all said they were impressed with how friendly and helpful we were. I gratefully appreciate the compliment but it concerns me to think that it is so vastly different at other shows. I truly do not think we do anything out of the ordinary. Just more helpful than hurtful.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:34:14 AM
Administrator

You are overlooking something. This IS the greatest hobby with the best people. But, when it comes to those who are not in the hobby that want to sell stuff to us, caution is advised. In fact, when $$$$ are involved, caution is advised anyway.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:35:14 AM
Registered-I

The fact that he left after 6 posts makes me a bit uncomfortable too.

We live in a throw-away, profit no matter who gets hurt (except the one making the profit), greed driven world, and it's going downhill even faster today. People forget things like corporate responsibility, looking out for others, and that the bottom line isn't everything.

I'm finding that in a sense, I live in another world. How many people would rather repair a car that has been very reliable than get rid of it and go deeply into debt for something new and fancy, even if it's not as reliable? People are so driven by appearance that they don't see the often horrific ugliness that exists beneath a smooth, polished surface - and don't even think of asking them to look. How many people would stop and ask someone who is sitting on the ground with their head in their hands, if they're OK? People are so wrapped up in their own little selves that they won't take the time to look at the person next to them to make sure that person isn't in some sort of dire trouble! (Or worse, as I've seen many times and researched - blame them for their suffering!!!)

"No man (one) is an island" is true. You hurt someone with greed, that pain will spread like a ripple. A small ripple to one person might be a tidal wave to another - and sink them.

The thing that gets me is that it is passed on and taught from early childhood through young adult. People don't even think to stop and consider that, for instance, that motor that was cherished by a forebear might someday be worth something to them... but they were looking for maximum $$$ and didn't even begin to think about the ramifications.

People are loosing the ability to think for themselves - they're just pushed to believe and obey (and look out for "number 1").
Old 11-25-2016, 12:56:39 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,770 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWithers View Post
So many haters. What is this hobby (or world) coming too? I have been around the hobby for over 50 years and have always thought this was the greatest hobby with the best people. With a thread like this I'm not so sure.
I agree.. I think some people are assuming that model might have been the grandfathers most cherished possession. Maybe it was or maybe it was just something setting on a shelf he didn't really care about. Regardless its just an object, we can love it but it can't love anyone in return..

If had an old lamp that was my great-grandfather's and I posted a similar question on an old lamp site I sure wouldn't be impressed with the results. I'd be thinking that hobby must be made up of grumpy old men.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 01:49:38 PM
Registered-III

It is not the question I have problems with. It is the way it was asked.

I will keep saying that I do not like people that are gifted things asking to give free appraisals so they can cash in. I also do not like I was given this or found it in the free pile of a sale or bought it for 5 bucks to resell, what is it worth.

Take some time and research the item to find a value. Or pay for an appraisal.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:24:00 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeometrist View Post
The fact that he left after 6 posts makes me a bit uncomfortable too.
For the record, the 6th post was an offer to buy the engine. Maybe it has a new owner??
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Tallman For This Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 03:10:37 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Tallman View Post
For the record, the 6th post was an offer to buy the engine. Maybe it has a new owner??
Maybe. I just hope it wasn't a wheeler-dealer who will turn around and try to sell it for 10 times what he or she paid for it (I didn't see who made the offer and don't know the person from Adam, so I'm speaking in generalities). If someone got it, I hope it was someone who actually wanted it and was not just after profit.

I've seen those types too many times and been badly burned by them. Indeed, I'm not active on amateur radio even though I've had my Extra for over 16 years, because of those types.

Oh, and to another comment I would suggest that the condition and appearance of the motor suggested that it was cherished by the previous owner. Maybe it was just kept as shelf decoration, but... I don't think so.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:18:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,888 Times in 3,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWithers View Post
For the Record.

IF the original post had been worded differently with no mention of wanting to sell something he was given by his Great Grandfather, I would have welcomed him with open arms to SmokStak and to the wonderful world of engine collecting and I would have highly suggested that he find some local shows to attend and learn more about his engine and how to run it and care for it (and all the good friends he'd make along the way) Just as I have done with numerous others with their posts in the meet and greet forum when they first sign on.

I Also Apologized in my original post for "Being So Blunt" with my reply, but that it had struck a nerve with me that he wanted to dispose of something his Great Grandfather apparently Chose Him to care for.

I didn't even think about the possibilities that Harry has since brought up that it might be a scam looking for a quick buck on something they don't even have. And I'm still trying NOT to think along those lines and give the guy the benefit of the doubt on that while still being bothered by the fact that IF it is true, he was given a beautiful engine model by his Great Grandfather presumably to be kept and cherished as a family heirloom and he then searches through the Internet to find this website for the sole purpose of getting rid of what he was entrusted with. That just doesn't sit well with me.

I worked Long and Hard to earn the money to Buy Back a few of Dad and Grandpa's engines and other items that they had sold off earlier instead of passing down through the family and I cherish them as well as the few things that were passed along to me by my Grandpa that were his grandparents before that. THOSE things will be with me till the day I die while other things changed hands decades ago going to other collections just the same as many of the things I own have come from others.

I have no problem with selling things. . . Just with selling Family Heirlooms that have been passed down (until there is no-one left to pass them down to)

If that's considered being a Hater, then I guess I'm a God Damned Hater. (with a Passion)